Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-23-2013, 07:08 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
Buffalo Point?

We are going to Arkansas in October. We have a few extra days before camping on the White at Denton Ferry for fly fishing. Anyone been to Buffalo Point recently. If so, what are your thoughts on current conditions there?
WBCCI #31443

"Don't follow me.
I've spent my life leading folks astray."
Will_Brule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 08:35 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
Little Rock , Arkansas
I camped there last year the week before they closed for the season, and we had a great time and no complaints. Because we were so late in the season the campground was empty. I did notice the sites were a little close, but it's wasn't a problem was us. We are headed back there the first week of October.....just under two weeks.....which happens to be the last weekend they are open this year as well. Not that it matters but I think they are closing a month earlier this year which could be related to the sequester funding cuts??

If you have time and are able hike the Indian rock house trail.....very nice.

Don't know when you would camp there, but I can give an update in two weeks.
Landrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:05 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Hot Springs Village , Arkansas
We have reservations for the 1st of November for three days, so I hope it is not closed. We will be at Bull Shoals the last of October. By the way, how is Denton Ferry?
Rick
rperrym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #4
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
Well I know Buffalo Point does close over winter meaning they shut off utilities and close the bathrooms, but you can still camp. I really thought they were closing early October this year, but maybe things have changed. I made our reservations several months ago.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:17 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
Just checked it....November 15th. They moved the date sometime in the last few months.
Old 09-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Great! Thanks. I am sure it will quiet and mostly empty.
Old 09-27-2013, 07:42 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Buffalo Point

We are thinking about going there in mid to late October. We love Ar. in the fall. We have never visited Buffalo Point.

Looking at the national parks site map there are 4 camp loop areas, A,B,C & D. For you that have been there witch loop and camp sites would you try to reserve, or does it matter.
I know this is subjective but we like to fly fish, hang around camp and maybe rent a canoe.
Olie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:10 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2017 27' Tommy Bahama
2016 30' Flying Cloud
2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
We would suggest B or C. See the National Park Map.
Hope you make it.
Old 09-27-2013, 08:24 PM   #9
Rivet Master

Little Rock , Arkansas
As you say its a bit subjective. We stayed in C last year and are going back to the same site. I remember thinking C and D were more to our liking than A and B.

BTW: something else to do in the area besides the Indian rock house hike ( which is very nice but a workout) is visit Rush which is an old mining ghost town.
Old 09-27-2013, 09:27 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Regina and I camped there this weekend from Springfield MO. We drove down on Saturday.

We were on our way to Mississippi State Park campgrounds, where we stayed in spot 13.

Coming down 65 highway, I got Buffalo Point confused with Tyler Bend. Tyler Bend has campgrounds but no hookups. We drove down to Marshall and over to Buffalo Point through Harriet. My wife rides a BMW GS650 and she thought the 30-35 miles from Tyler Bend to Buffalo Point would be a good road to drive her motorcycle on. Meaning it was curving and hilly. It took us about an hour to drive over. And easier way would to come in from the north via Yellville.

As for Buffalo River campground, I'd say about 50% occupied. We stayed in C51, not our first choice, but where we wanted was too close to a large family group with loud kids. Now, don't get me wrong, I'm not against kid noises but I don't like screaming and yelling non stop. I'm glad for Rangers and quiet hours.

A lot of the spots had little reservation slips on them but not for that night.

the spot was a back-in. I had wanted a longer spot but... (see above) this one worked. It was level side to side and sloped off to the rear enough that I couldn't use my 6x6 block with 4x4 boost.

Good water pressure (we used our regulator) and I think it was 50 amp service. Lot of mosquitoes. No sewer but there was a dump station. Make sure you have plenty of DEET.

The Arkansas state park cost $24 a night with my out of state senior discount. Buffalo Point was $8 with my senior pass.

Did I tell you there were a lot of mosquitoes? Oh, and no wi-fi.

We camped in a 31' Airstream and I had to un hook to fit in the space. Well, I didn't have to, I wanted to stay hooked up since we were only there for one night but I had to get the front of the trailer lower. Once I was unhooked and pulled forward, I might as well set the stabilizer jacks. No awnings though.

The little bitty gravel used in the tent pad -- we kept tracking them into the trailer.

Stock your refrigerator before you get there, nothing's close. And yes, the rangers checked our receipt on the the site post. The spot was self pay.

We enjoyed our night and we'll probably do it again. We liked this campground better than Big Springs on the Current River in Van Buren MO.
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:13 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Morrilton , Arkansas
I love Buffalo Point, but we were there in spring this year and the Mosquitos were worse than I ever remember them being in the Ozarks- I don't know what's up with that.

Another area in Arkansas people might enjoy is Buffalo City- at the confluence of the Buffalo & White Rivers, outside of Gassville. It's a beautiful place with a small ( I think ) private campground and a float trip outfitter. There are houses nearby, but trust me, no "city" in the last 100 years or so.

Bull Shoals/White River remains my favorite, though, having spent most of my adult life in the Ozarks. It's below the dam and on the cold, cold waters of White River! Some campsites are right on the river, but up above the highest river level. Deer walk through the campground regularly, it's cooler in the summer, and Gaston's Resort, with its amazing restaurant, is just down the road a mile or so.

A guided boat trip or trout fishing expedition here is a lifetime highlight! On top of the dam at Bull Shoals ( my once home ) is Bull Shoals boat dock & Marina. They can fix you up with everything from houseboats, pontoons, to V bottom fishing boats. They offer guided fishing, too, as do a lot of outfitters in the area.

There are COE campgrounds all around the lake. Cranfield east of Mountain Home is wonderful and near everything.

I could go on and on, but Arkansas really is full of great camping areas.

PS - I've never had trouble with Mosquitos at Bull Shoals- White River SP. Water is too cold. Did I mention there's a big spring right beside the campground? And a park ran boat dock? Yeah.

Think I'm going back as soon as I get back to Arkansas!

"Besides, I'm a gypsy at heart
and I like to travel around."
Reba McEntire

LawChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
We spent 3 nights there a couple of years ago and are headed back in a few weeks. We really enjoyed it. The hiking is really good and if you can it is worth the walk to see Indian Rock house. The only "problem" we had was that in late October the gnats were terrible close to the river. There were only a few other campers there during the week and the facitlitys were nice.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 12:26 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Branson , Missouri
Sites 42 & 43 are some of the best available.

And yes, it pays to have a good supply of bug spray, as the critters appear to love the shiny aluminum surfaces. ;-)

https://www.pbase.com/murreywalker

2011 23 FC FB
murreywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:25 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
1984 31' Excella
Springfield , Missouri
Law Chick--- Regina and I camped at the old KOA campground in Morrilton Wednesday and Thursday night last.

We parked there instead of at Petit Jean because we wanted WI-FI --- and it was good strong signal in the silver corridor. Also the cost was the same as at Petit Jean what with my out of state senior discount.

The spots were gravel and some of the bigger rigs had a hard time leveling. We parked on the back row and best of all, NO MOSQUITOES!

Did find an neat little restaurant across teh interstate Yesterday's.
Also the antique/flea markets downtown and those in Conway were neat.

And the best thing, on the way home, Highway 65 north of Conway has a lot of flea markets, we're going to make a day trip down without the trailer from Rockaway Beach some Saturday.

Flea Marketing while pulling a 31' Airstream is challenging. It is a lot easier to be without the trailer.

See you in Grove on the 11?

Jim
Jim Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 04:53 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olie View Post
We are thinking about going there in mid to late October. We love Ar. in the fall. We have never visited Buffalo Point.

Looking at the national parks site map there are 4 camp loop areas, A,B,C & D. For you that have been there witch loop and camp sites would you try to reserve, or does it matter.
I know this is subjective but we like to fly fish, hang around camp and maybe rent a canoe.

Well I guess with the government shutdown with all the closed national parks, that makes our mind up about going to Buffalo Point. Maybe next year. This will sure mess up a lot of campers fall camping plans. There are alternatives though, state and private parks abound.
Old 10-02-2013, 05:05 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Palestine , Texas
Maybe not Olie. I still hope it changes soon, but if not, we will camp somewhere. Problem would be the additional pressure on private CGs withal the COE sites closed.
WBCCI #31443

"Don't follow me.
I've spent my life leading folks astray."
Will_Brule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 05:39 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2003 30' Classic
Las Cruces , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will_Brule View Post
Maybe not Olie. I still hope it changes soon, but if not, we will camp somewhere. Problem would be the additional pressure on private CGs withal the COE sites closed.
It could be over tomorrow but I'm not holding my breath.

Your are right, better make your reservations now as the other camp options will start filling up sooner.