Old 05-30-2014, 12:10 PM   #1
2013 20' Flying Cloud
Wilson , Wyoming
Buffalo Bill State Park & Big Horns (Wyoming)

A quick report on a loop I completed two weeks ago. I live in WIlson, WY and had not been over to the Big Horns in a long, long time. Packed up my 20' Flying Cloud Friday afternoon and made Thermopolis in 4 hours. Was thinking about spending the night at the Boysen Reservoir (Park) grounds (which looked great) but motored onto to town and stayed at the Eagle RV park. Great spot in town, quiet, shaded trees, clean bathrooms and great attendants. Next day I took Rt 16 over the Big Horns to Buffalo. I read a couple of posts about the road being somewhat precarious, not so with my '07 Jeep GC diesel. No problems on the hills and the downside was not that intimidating either. There are some terrific looking campsites off the highway high in the Park. Buffalo is an intriguing little town that deserves a lunch stop. Motored on up to Sheridan and turned off on Route 14 to head over to Cody. Another spectacular mountain pass quite different than Rt 16. I would say that this road took a little more driving skill than the previous pass. Beautiful views East over Sheridan and Dayton on the climb heading west. Once you have summited the drive becomes more pronounced and the views are exceptional. Motored through Cody and due to the fact many of the Park grounds were yet to be opened I chose to stay at Buffalo Bill State Park outside of Cody on the way to Yellowstone.

Here is a shout out to the State of Wyoming. BBSP is a great campground on the BB Reservoir. Clean sites with new benches and firepits. The bathrooms were literally spotless. My only observation is that there is little to shade but the views are welcoming and relaxing. While it is close to the main road there was very little traffic noise, in fact I did not hear anything. 15 mins out of Cody make it a great stop out of town but close enough to use town. You are 35-40 mins from Yellowstone East East gate.

Teton Streamer - in The Toaster
Wilson, WY 83014
Teton Stream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2014, 12:18 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Thanks for the report. We spend at least a couple of weeks in the Bighorn National Forest every year. We usually camp in the Airstream in either Buffalo or Ranchester. From there we take two and three day forays into the National Forest and do dispersed camping with the truck camper in the back country. We love that area and go back every year.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:34 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member
2010 31' Classic
Crestview , Florida
It is a beautiful park but unfortunately costs twice as much for out of state visitors than WY residents so we skip state parks and go to National Parks, unfortunately.
2010 Classic 31 Custom
2013 Silver Toyota Tundra Double Cab 5.7L
Former 2007 Safari 28 2008 Toyota Tundra
Libo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 06:50 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member
1992 34' Limited
Grand Island , Nebraska
You make this old man a bit homesick. I went to High School in Buffalo (class of '53) and have great memories of that country. I was back there for our 50th class reunion and did some solo drives throughout the area. That Highway 14 tour west of Sheridan is awesome! I was glad I didn't have the trailer behind me on that day.
'92 Limited 34ft (now sold); '96 Dodge Cummins 4X2, 5speed
genearnold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2014, 07:43 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member
2008 23' Safari SE
2007 Base Camp
Santa Ynez , California
Thanks for the tips -- we will be there in September and are planning a stop at Buffalo Bill State Park. The driving suggestions are great!
field & stream is offline   Reply With Quote