Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2008, 08:03 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Bryce, Capitol Reef, or Zion campgrounds???

We're taking off for our first outing of the year on April 24th. to Utah. I have 5 nights booked in Devils Garden campground in Arches NP, but we haven't decided on the beginning of the trip yet. We go to Arches twice a year, but haven't camped in Bryce, Zion, or Capitol Reef although we have visited each park. I thought we'd anchor in one of these parks from the 24th. - 28th. before going to Arches. This should give us a chance to check out the parks with a little more detail then we have in the past. We also liked Red Canyon, but that campground shows that it's not open until May 1st. The Fruita Campground inside Capitol Reef is open year round. Any suggestions??
Charlie
Pacerized is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:18 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Charlie -- we've looked into the same destination for several springs now. Still trying to get it out of the planning stage. Due to the 6000' elevation and late spring I know that Bryce may not be open until May -- see Bryce Canyon National Park - Operating Hours & Seasons (U.S. National Park Service).

You're wise to check this out in advance. I think north rim of Grand Canyon doesn't open until May 15.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 10:19 AM   #3
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Pacerized -

While you're in the neighborhood (broadly contrued, that is) consider going a bit West when you leave Moab and stop at Goblin Valley State Park. If you enjoyed the silly movie "Galaxy Quest" you'll see the odd formations that the Rock Monster was made from. And across the highway (and down a long dirt road) is the Horseshoe Canyon unit of Canyonlands NP. If you can hike, then you can see the iconic pictographs - the Grand Gallery - you've certainly seen in books.

Happy trails.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
We thought about Goblin Valley as well. I'm not 100% certain, but isn't that where the red rock scene in the movie RV was filmed?

I called Bryce today and was told that all of the campgrounds open on April 15th., but you couldn't reserve until May. If anyone has stayed there in the Capitol Reef please tell me what you thought of it.
Charlie
Old 03-26-2008, 07:09 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Hi Charlie, we will be in that area around the same time. We hope to see you to say hello. Have a great time, we haven't decided on campgrounds for a few places either. Take Care, George
mrchinup1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 08:23 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrchinup1
Hi Charlie, we will be in that area around the same time. We hope to see you to say hello. Have a great time, we haven't decided on campgrounds for a few places either. Take Care, George
George:
We'll be in Arches from April 29th. - May 4th. I think we're leaning toward Bryce starting on the 24th. due to it's being centered between Capitol Reef and Zion but we really like Capitol Reef so it's a tough decision. There are still some sites open in Arches, and there's also some first come first serve campsites. Arches is one of our favorite places. It's just my opinion but if I had to pick one place in Utah not to miss it would be Arches. If it's not too out of your way it would be great to sit around a campfire with you and your wife.
Charlie
Old 03-26-2008, 09:27 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Beaver Creek , Colorado
We love Zion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacerized
We thought about Goblin Valley as well. I'm not 100% certain, but isn't that where the red rock scene in the movie RV was filmed?

I called Bryce today and was told that all of the campgrounds open on April 15th., but you couldn't reserve until May. If anyone has stayed there in the Capitol Reef please tell me what you thought of it.
Charlie
Hi Charlie,
We were in both Capitol Reef and Zion CG last October. It is a very nice campground surrounded by a fruit orchard. You could set your clock for when the local herd of deer would mosey by in the evening. The fall colors were striking. The heritage center has terrific homemade pie and ice cream for sale. There is only water available at the dump station and no electric. Zion's Watchman CG, I recall, has electric at the site and water available at the dump station. My choice, hands down, between the two is Zion. I can't do justice in describing all the sights, and a hike I will always remember is the climb up top to Angel's Landing. Whew!
You might want to check out the Needles District. That area has some awsome hiking trails and wonderful variations of landscape. Every turn in the trail was eye candy for us.
You are sure to enjoy any of the areas you mentioned. They are all very special.
WhiteyFord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 11:54 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacerized
George:
We'll be in Arches from April 29th. - May 4th. I think we're leaning toward Bryce starting on the 24th. due to it's being centered between Capitol Reef and Zion but we really like Capitol Reef so it's a tough decision. There are still some sites open in Arches, and there's also some first come first serve campsites. Arches is one of our favorite places. It's just my opinion but if I had to pick one place in Utah not to miss it would be Arches. If it's not too out of your way it would be great to sit around a campfire with you and your wife.
Charlie
Charlie:

We will be in Bryce the 29th-1st, Capital Reef 2cd-3rd, Arches 4-7th, We didn't make reservations because we didn't know how long we would want to stay at some of them. We have until the 15th to get to the North rim, so we have quite a few extra days in between in case we want to stay longer.

Will you be at Arches the night of the 4th? If you are we will reserve. Sitting around a campfire with new friends sounds great.

George
Old 03-27-2008, 06:53 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Unfortunately I had a meeting come up at work that I have to fly out for on the afternoon of the 4th., so we'll have to take off early that morning. It looks like we'll be just missing each other. I'm flexible on the first 4 nights from the 24-28th., but I couldn't talk my wife out of a day at Arches. If you could make it a day or two earlier to Bryce I can be there, or Capitol Reef.

Charlie

Quote:
Charlie:
We will be in Bryce the 29th-1st, Capital Reef 2cd-3rd, Arches 4-7th, We didn't make reservations because we didn't know how long we would want to stay at some of them. We have until the 15th to get to the North rim, so we have quite a few extra days in between in case we want to stay longer.
Will you be at Arches the night of the 4th? If you are we will reserve. Sitting around a campfire with new friends sounds great.
George
Old 03-27-2008, 09:17 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2006 23' Safari SE
Smith lake , Alabama
I wish i could get there a day or two early, but we have reservations at the south rim on the 23th,24th,25th, then the 26th,27th,and 28th at Mt. Carmel TLR park outside of Zion. That is the bad part about making reservations, but if we didn't we wouldn't have got to stay at the South Rim.

Maybe we could meet up later on, if we head toward Colorado after the Tetons . I forgot you were going to Yellowstone, when is that? We will be there July 5th-13th at least. 5th,6th,7th at Madison, 8,9,10, not sure yet, and Grant Village 11th and 12th.

George
Old 03-29-2008, 10:59 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Abernathy , Texas

Bryce is a great place to be......

AIR # 410
https://www.flickr.com/photos/dsphotoscapes
dscluchfc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 07:40 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1981 25' Excella II
Dillon , Colorado
Quote:
I wish i could get there a day or two early, but we have reservations at the south rim on the 23th,24th,25th, then the 26th,27th,and 28th at Mt. Carmel TLR park outside of Zion. That is the bad part about making reservations, but if we didn't we wouldn't have got to stay at the South Rim.

Maybe we could meet up later on, if we head toward Colorado after the Tetons . I forgot you were going to Yellowstone, when is that? We will be there July 5th-13th at least. 5th,6th,7th at Madison, 8,9,10, not sure yet, and Grant Village 11th and 12th.

George
You're wise to make reservations on some of these places, and Yellowstone is no exception. In Yellowstone we'll be in Madison July 11th.-13th., Flagg Ranch 14th-16th., and Grant from 17th.-19th. It's a shame that we're this close twice but not in the same campground. We're bound to see each other at some point, there just aren't that many Airstreams in any campground even in Yellowstone. I think you're fine in skipping the reservations in Bryce, and Capitol Reef. I'll see if we can stay an extra night in Bryce on the 29th.
Charlie