Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2007, 05:27 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
Bryce Canyon (just dreaming)

Watching the snow fall outside, I'm sitting inside and dreaming about another trip. Maria wants to visit Bryce in the spring. The NPS site indicates that there are no hookups at the park campgrounds, but that they do have a dump station. Sounds good to me, but does anybody know if they have water available someplace?

It sounds unusual, but that's what we also experienced up at Dead Horse Point SP: No water to fill RVs, but they had a dump station (and a rest room). We held out for a week, but it was tough.

Lynn
Old 12-14-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
Bryce Canyon

Bryce Canyon is a neat place. Seems likely there would be water somewhere. If you have room in your TV for a couple of plastic 6 gal. water containers with pour spouts, you can leave the AS in place and drive to a water source.
Here is a picture of our April, 2000 pass through.
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2007, 07:32 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Hey, that would be a good idea. I'll probably just call them to find out the story before we leave.

Of course, the Big Question is whether we can leave this spring at all. Maria really, really needs to go visit her elderly mom in Europe, and spring's the (only) time to do it.

Thank you for the good idea! Even if we don't go this spring, there's always next fall!

Lynn
Old 12-14-2007, 10:16 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 30' Classic
Farmington , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by eubank
Hey, that would be a good idea. I'll probably just call them to find out the story before we leave.

Of course, the Big Question is whether we can leave this spring at all. Maria really, really needs to go visit her elderly mom in Europe, and spring's the (only) time to do it.

Thank you for the good idea! Even if we don't go this spring, there's always next fall!

Lynn
Lynn, So what's the problem ?????? pieman
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2007, 07:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis
Lynn, So what's the problem ?????? pieman
That's easy! There's snow all over the place; it's -15 degrees this morning; and we're stuck here.

Lynn
Old 12-16-2007, 10:15 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1990 32' Excella
jonesboro , Arkansas
bryce campground

I can't remember the name of the campground but there is a large full hookup just outside the gate to bryce.We stayed there june of 2006 and i have lost a few brain cells since then but it was extremely clean and well kept.if I remember right the campground inside is only about 10 minutes from the gate. I hope you make the trip it was beautifull in mid june.
joel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:34 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
That may be the one called Ruby's Inn (or some such). We like to stay right in the parks, however. In that way, we can take our hikes right from the rig.

Lynn
Old 12-17-2007, 08:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
We stayed at Ruby's Inn in June of this year. Excellent location. We made a day trip over to Zion while we were there. The RV park is up the road from Ruby's Inn where they had a very nice swiming pool.
gaylejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 11:05 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Lynn,

Is Angelfire,NM the town/area where the doctor & his wife started the memorial to his son and other vietnam veterans killed in action? What a beautiful location! What a memorial! Very impressive.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 07:44 AM   #10
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Quote:
Originally Posted by wingfoot321
Lynn,

Is Angelfire,NM the town/area where the doctor & his wife started the memorial to his son and other vietnam veterans killed in action? What a beautiful location! What a memorial! Very impressive.
Yup, that's the one. We can see the memorial from our house. It's all white. Everything's white. The whole world is white right now. White and cold. Kinda like this:

You see why I'm dreaming about getting outa here?

Lynn
Old 12-19-2007, 07:54 AM   #11
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
OK, I'm confused. Is the Ruby Inn a campground inside the National Park? Is it the one that has hookups or just sites with no hookups?

We are planning a trip out west in a couple of years and I'd like to include Bryce but I want my daily shower! and the dog will need air conditioning while we are away from the camp site.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 09:55 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Ruby's Inn is a full (or partial) hook-up park outside of Bryce. To see it's location, just go to Google Maps and type in the following:

N37 40 25.8 W112 09 25.6

Here's their URL:

Bryce Canyon Campground - Ruby's Inn

Like I said, we prefer to stay right in the park so that we can hike right from the campsite. They appear to have no hook-ups, but they have a shower house:

Bryce Canyon National Park - Camping in Bryce Canyon (U.S. National Park Service)

Lynn
Old 12-19-2007, 10:12 AM   #13
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Minnie, as Bryce is at about 8000', there won't be many days where AC will be an issue - you may be able to enjoy dry camping in the park for a few days! Sweet dreams.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 11:20 AM   #14
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmclemore
Minnie, as Bryce is at about 8000', there won't be many days where AC will be an issue - you may be able to enjoy dry camping in the park for a few days! Sweet dreams.

Pat
Will that include summer months? Since we have school age children, we will have to go during the summer months. I'm thinking June before the Grand Canyon gets too hot then up to Bryce on our way to Yellow Stone or perhaps west to Yosemite.
WBCCI# 4821
Old 12-19-2007, 02:52 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
Just to give you a feel, we live at 8,400 feet, somewhat south of the latitude that includes Bryce. They don't build houses with air conditioning here. Just open a couple of windows, and you're fine. (Close them at night; it gets too chilly.)

Lynn
Old 12-19-2007, 04:10 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Altoona , Florida
Bryce canyon

Water? Don't worry about no stinking water - This may well be the most majestic place in the world. pack some water in - don't bath - don't waste - Do this - -
Poprivet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2007, 05:53 PM   #17
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
As a fellow humid-hot Easterner, I recognized your worry about hot. What I have found (Westerners can correct me if I am wrong) is that altitude is everything. Zion canyon, at 3,000 ft or so, is hot as hades in the summer. Grand Canyon, either rim, is never bad (like it is in the East) during the day, and cool at night. North is 1,000 ft higher, by the way. Carry blankies for Bryce.

And double what Pop says. Dry-camping is Airstreaming at its best. You can do it.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 12:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
1963 19' Globetrotter
1961 19' Globetrotter
Wheat Ridge , Colorado
I am a National park junky... I have been to all of the western parks and stayed at all of our "Grand Lodges"... Bryce is an amazing place. It should be the first of many places you should discover in that region...
As for water.. All parks have water... You just need to find it.. There are very few of our National Park camp grounds that are full hook-up... Just remember it is "BoonDocking Heaven"... You just need to ask around and you can find water... The North Rim i remember that i went back into the employee housing area... and used a hose that the employee's used to wash thier cars to fill my water tank... I know it was ok because it was attached to the main water line that went into the housing unit... It is amazing how having a airstream in tow can bring a certain type of perk!

As for your trip... You are very close to two other parks... The North rim of the Grand Canyon is the farthest... about 1/3 day drive... (It is closed in winter months) If you have never beed to the north rim... only 1 in 20 that see the canyon are from the north rim, than its well worth the 1/3 day drive..
It is were the forest meet the canyon's edge! It is the very best place to see sun rises and sun sets... The north rim is like a little village... fun for the entire family... Believe it or not the shortest drive to see it is from the bryce canyon area...
Next would be Zion... it is about a 1/8 of a day trip... But depending on the way you are coming from you should go threw it coming or going to Bryce Canyon... Bryce is all about light... morning sun rise is a must! Zion is all about the day time... so if you plan around that you call see the best of both parks in one day! There are many great little hikes that you can do in Zion... Very cooooool way to beat the hot summer heat!

Also note if you are heading back east from zion , bryce, north rim area? There is an amazing two lane road that goes from bryce to two other national parks... Capitol Reef (the least travel to western nation park) and Arches national park.. The road should only be travel in day time... there is a section called the razer back... and yes you drive along the razor for miles... very cool... from that region you can travel north to I 70 via Colorado... or even take another wonderful turn and head to Monument Valley! The sun set is the closest to heaven you will ever find! From there you can loop to the south rim... or yes take another turn and head to four corners... or Mesa Verde National Park! And the South west park of colorado (the best part of the state!)...

food for thought! lol
todd@VINTSREAM.com
vinstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2007, 02:46 PM   #19
Rivet Master

Airstream - Other
I certainly can second the Grand Canyon and Zion! Alas, we can't visit the north rim: They open late in the spring and close early in the fall, both at times when we have to be back here in Angel Fire to run this place. We did, however, spend a week at the south rim just last fall and loved it! And Zion is spectacular! Spent a week there in the spring. Both offer great views and gobs of hiking. It's very easy to escape the crowds at either park: Just walk a couple hundred feet.

Lynn
Old 01-03-2008, 08:59 AM   #20
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Thanks guys for the incite into what I think is probably some of America's most beautiful natural wonders!

I could probably get by with the boondocking and might could even convince the wife, but we will have our dog with us I'm sure and leaving him inside the Airstream with the potential for heat build-up during the summer might be the deal breaker. But, if the temps in the north wouldn't get too hot, or if electricity would be available every other day or so to recharge the batteries, we might be able to manage. I'll definitely research this out before we go.
WBCCI# 4821