Old 12-21-2015, 08:59 AM   #15
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
While in the Moab area I would not miss Deadhorse Point SP. Personally I think it's more scenic and more spectacular than Canyonlands. But both are certainly very nice places to visit.

Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 12:52 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
Austin , Texas
Thanks so much for all the great advice! I'm thinking I'll probably do Zion just because it will it be better for winter hiking and then Sundance for the film festival. Pretty excited, Utah has been high on my list for a while.

thelongway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:17 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
There is a really nice RV park in Hurricane, UT. Only 3 blocks from the Dairy Queen. LOL
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 01:42 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I just wanted to say I appreciate all the suggestions in this thread also. That part of the country has some spectacularly beautiful scenery, no doubt about it.

I'm getting excited for our Spring '16 trip.
2016 30' Flying Cloud / 2016 Ram 2500 Diesel 4x4

“Character is doing the right thing when nobody’s looking. There are too many people who think that the only thing that’s right is to get by, and the only thing that’s wrong is to get caught.” - J.C. Watts Jr.
Llando88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2015, 11:58 PM   #19
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Moab is a fun place, but it does have an actual winter, complete with snow and sub-freezing temperatures. Beautiful, but it requires winter camping preparations. Zion NP has a winter but it is much shorter and milder. The Utah snowbirds flock around St. George, which is lower in elevation than Zion, and has a winter comparable to South Carolina, but it has turned into a city of some proportions, so it might not suit those wanting the great outdoors. St. George is within striking distance of Zion, and Zion is close enough to Bryce for a day trip or overnight for anyone ready to return to a mountain-elevation winter. Bryce is technically on the edge of a plateau, but the elevation is high.

It looks like the Bryce Canyon lodge within the park is open all winter Winter at Bryce Canyon - The Lodge at Bryce Canyon and this would be a fun way to see the park while the AS is parked at a warmer location. I believe the lodgings at Ruby's Inn Lodging in Bryce Canyon just outside Bryce Canyon NP are open in winter, as well, although their RV park will be closed in winter. There are some other accommodations just outside the park, but someone else would have to do the research on them.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 10:42 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member
2011 23' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Hard to build upon the fine summaries by Len n Jeanne, although I would say that our enjoyment of these two parks was enhanced by visiting during the shoulder seasons and taking the time to savor them on foot. Zion in mid-November without the crowds, without the shuttle busses, sleeping in a half empty Watchman campground (with electric sites!) was really fine. Crisp days for hiking, freezing nights snug in our fully functional Airstream. Bryce Canyon (during our Casita year) was spectacularly amazing in a very different way. Hike the canyon floor, dine at the lodge, do the nighttime astronomy program. We did camp at Ruby's due to the NP CG closures, and yes it is touristy, but we spent little time in the CG. Comparing and ranking the Utah parks is an academic exercise, they are each wonderful in their individual unique ways. We hope to return to each.

Safe Travels,
Joe & Joan Donnaway
Durango, CO
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote