Old 08-21-2003, 08:26 PM   #15
If A/S advertised it-

Its probably true. I'd hate to think the company was that messed up.

Check it out first- I don't know the new ones AT ALL! I don't even know what a CCD would be- My newest one at this time is a 1964 and its too new for me....

trailertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 06:23 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member
US Airstream use in Europe

Hi Kimili,

an american vehicle (registered and insured in the US) may be used up to 6 months in the EU - even if it does not meet the European regulations - at least as far as I know. My experience stems from a close friend (half American) who used an US sedan this way in various contries ( 2 years ago).
After the 6 months he simply left the EU (to Poland in his case) and re-entered later - no problem.

He needed a special insurance coverage with his US-company, though. He said it would have worked with TTs and MH's, too.
Car was sold in CZ later - be carefull with customs there !

Driving Licences for most europeans should be no problem with coaches below 7700 lbs (3500 kg). Widebodies are tough - 2.55 meters at most (= 100 inches - NOT 102); hence , a CCD should work.

I envy you !

Martin (still only a wannabe)

memartinde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2003, 06:43 AM   #17
Its all coming to an end...

As the 10 other countries get thrust into the EU, its harder to cross and return.
Its also going to mess the little nations up- I have a great fear that they will be an inexpensive dumping ground for Europes gypsies and immigration nightmares.

Finland was the cleanest and safest country in the world- and then the EU decided they needed some "diversity", and shipped them 100,000 Somalian refugees. Now, Little Mogadishu, as a part of Helsinki is known, has open drug dealing and shootouts, rapes and murders on an almost daily basis, armed robberies, and burglary. This, in a place that was once able to boast that it had never had a rape, and only about 1-2 murders a year- usually bike clubs...

I wonder if Norway and Suisse will count as leaving the EU? I go there all the time.

Registering an older one should be no problem, and I was told the licensing was for 1.5 Metric Tonnes and below. 3.5 covers a lot more...
trailertrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2003, 09:40 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member
2004 25' International CCD
Salem , Massachusetts
Taking our CCD to Italy

Thanks all for your help!

memartinde, thanks good info. unfortunately 6 months are not a lot.

We've researched a few possibilities and found out that there are ferries leaving from Canada to the UK (1 wk travel) where we could go with our AS. Still don't have prices...most don't have web sites &/or very poorly designed ones.

We'd really want to drive it there not ship it!

Once in Italy my major concern is storage! Why? I fear that our beautiful new CCD may inspire a whole squadron of thieves!!!! A drive way is now safe haven.

Will keep on looking for solutions.

The EU is a very important project that will take time, patience and a whole lot of adjustments. Many european countries have been secluded for too many years. They definetly need some "diversity". Sure, it would be best if that diversity came from the better part of society and not rejects and refugees...

Italy has been struggling with immigration problems since I was young, many areas of the city I grew up in are now deemed "untouchable" by Italian local police. A sad situation which has raised racism and separatism, but also extreme compassion and solidarity. As always opposite reactions.

I do believe though, that thanks to this, Italy is now a more open country - as in views. I just hope that the great heritage (history, culture etc) won't be lost or melted in this new multi-ethnic society, how it has happened here in the US.

KIMILI is offline   Reply With Quote