Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-04-2016, 05:24 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Broke down south of Portland!

Yay!!!
Lost power and glided in!
Oil pressure light came on. Not good. Checked the oil level. Not registering.
Had a full service done yesterday as a precaution, now this.
Smelled burning oil many miles back but thought it was the old truck in front of me.
Waiting for a tow to an RV repair place in Auburn. Progressive said they work on engines.
Good thing I'm on vacation for the week.
I think I'm going to sue someone...maybe, unless it's an act of God. What could it be? I'm no mechanic.
Wish me luck!
Astrodokk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Newberg , Oregon
Yikes! Could they have not tightened the oil drain plug? Good luck.

Mike
Caffeinated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 05:41 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Fitchburg , Wisconsin
Also check the filter gasket. I had one nicked in the past and the oil sprayed out through a small crack. Good luck.
Dennis
dennis3751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:21 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Did the low oil pressure light come on before the engine shut off or after?
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:40 PM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Did the motor crank after you glided in?
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:54 PM   #6
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Best wishes from the other side of the country......
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2016, 06:56 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Diesel or gas engine? Sure sounds like the shop messed up the oil change. I had a friend who had a Honda dealer forget to refill the manual transmission the day before a trip. It is not fun. Losing all your oil the day after a service seems highly likely to be screw up related. Alert the shop that is going to work on it to inspect it carefully before they begin and take some pictures if you find something amiss. Hopefully there is a low oil pressure shutdown that worked in time. But even if it is not totally fried it probably needs to come apart for inspection. And yeah, keep the records good in case you do have to sue.

Where did you leave from?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 10:08 AM   #8
59' Globester

1959 18' "Footer"
1957 26' Overlander
Three Rivers , California
I once had an oil change where the old filter gasket came off the old filter and they screwed the new one on top of it.
Lost all my oil going across Golden Gate bridge but light came on and pulled off the road in time to save the motor.
I ALWAYS check that when I do my own but of course you can't do that when someone else is servicing your vehicle.
Keep us posted and good luck...such a bummer when you finally get a vacation.
twolanehwy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 11:59 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Lynnwood , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Astrodokk View Post
Smelled burning oil many miles back.....
God gave us five senses for good reason. Learn trust your nose (not to mention your instincts), especially after your last service.

Who did your last service?? Tell us about your TV.

Tom
TomKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 12:03 PM   #10
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
I like the oil filter double or screwed up gasket idea too.

Get everything documented, burn lots of digital film.
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 02:02 PM   #11
3 Rivet Member

1984 34.5' Airstream 345
Franklin Park , Illinois
Broke

Wow all I can say is sorry to hear that
I will agree everything posted on here is possible I've heard the same horror stories and I know them to be true.
The first motorhome I bought SOB (some other brand) I was on my way home after purchasing it and it to costed to a stop... I ended up selling it to my brother-law (a truck mechanic) he pulled the motor out and installed a used motor. He and his family still use it. In fact my wife and I have gone camping with them.
it turns out that the motor that broke was because a main bearing spun in the engine.
I am semi mechanically inclined and do a lot of work on my airstream and cars myself (nothing as big as a engine swap though) I'm more of a Ford guy and I asked my GM / Chevy friends about the reliability of the 454 engine they assured me it's normally a great motor, that gave me some piece of mind when I bought my Airsrteam with the same motor in it.
I've planed a trip for next weekend (with a airstream group) and I'm considering canceling because the forecast is calling for temps in the 90*s and my 345 really just a 32 year old Chevy truck
I hope for the best for you.
When I read your post my stomach turned upside down.
Grosspoluter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:20 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Santa Rosa , California
Make sure the oil filler cap is present, and tight. My daughter smelled burning oil, then the car caught fire - because the mechanic had left the cap off after filling with fresh oil.
Old 06-06-2016, 03:06 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Yay!!!
Lost power and glided in!
Oil pressure light came on. Not good. Checked the oil level. Not registering.
Had a full service done yesterday as a precaution, now this.
Smelled burning oil many miles back but thought it was the old truck in front of me.
Waiting for a tow to an RV repair place in Auburn. Progressive said they work on engines.
Good thing I'm on vacation for the week.
I think I'm going to sue someone...maybe, unless it's an act of God. What could it be? I'm no mechanic.
Wish me luck!
Wondering if you have found the source of your troubles?

Bummer!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:59 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Thinking about how you are doing? Have you got a diagnosis yet?
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:19 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2013 25' International
Monrovia , California
Bad Oil Change

Our son recently had a bad experience the day after having his oil changed at an oil change place in So. CA (a Valvoline chain store.) They failed to remove part or all of the gasket from old filter which was stuck on the housing; and the new gasket didn't seal properly nor hold pressure. When AAA towed his car to an auto repair place, the owner explained the situation to our son, asked him where he got his oil change, and contacted the manager of the oil change place to explain the situation. Turned out the oil change place replaced the engine which had seized up when all oil leaked out. The oil change company carries insurance for this kind of thing so was amenable to having the car fixed at their expense; and they provided him a rental car for 3 days while a new engine was located and installed. I relay this info because your situation sounds like it could be similar
ckerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 10:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
If a person shuts down the engine immediately upon the oil light coming on there usually is no damage.

Superat stultitia.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 03:09 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Astrodokk, are we talking about your AS 300 breaking down here?

Hoping you found a simple solution and are on your way north again . . .

Peter

Quote:
Just took it home today. I had a 1981 Excella moho (on a 1979 P30 chassis) for 13 years. It had the twins and rear bath, for my two boys, but when they went off to college, I sold it. Missed the AS so I bought this one with the rear queen. It's really nice inside and way nicer than my old '81.
Has the Banks system. The backup camera is great to have! Everything works!
But...there are a few small issues.
Missing the two small analog TV's, one in front and the other in the rear bedroom. I found an owner's manual for an LCD flat panel. I may put a couple in there again.
The dash aisle switch and exterior compartment switch tend to blow a couple of fuses according to the PO. So I'm not gonna touch them for now.
The exterior paint is peeling, but the aluminum is in great shape.
The air horns and search light are excellent! I'm really happy to have found this one. I'm trying to find any info on these 300LE's but they seem to be pretty rare. So I'm reading up on the 310's, since they're almost the same size and most likely design.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 07:37 PM   #18
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Seattle , WA
Everything is fine!!!

Hi folks.

Thanks for your concerns. This is my report.

First of all, sorry for not posting until now. I've just returned home and am using my PC, because it's very difficult for me to get service on my smartphone where I was in Washington. (I think I'll switch to Verizon soon).
When I initially posted, I was south of Portland and was bored waiting for a tow, so I decided to post from the phone.

Tow guy showed up. I told him what I told you guys about smelling burning oil and it not registering on the dip stick. He checked, and it was full!!!
So it had been that old truck in front of me after all.

In my confusion and the fog of a vehicle breakdown, I didn't see oil on the stick because it was so darn clean!! I just failed to see oil when I checked, but it was there! What a friggin relief!

So I ask why the engine just up and quit on me? I told him about the oil pressure light. He checked the battery bank and found a loose cable to my engine battery. Tested it and it was not charged. He tightened the cable bolt (which I'm sure the PO had messed with because it was a new Red Top).

After charging the battery, which only took a few minutes, and checking a few other things to be sure the system was charging, like the alternator, I was on my way!

Turned out to be a loose contact. Next time, on any vehicle, I'll remember this.

Besides this small setback, the rig ran flawlessly! It has so much power with that Banks, and I was cruising at 70 with 2250rpm, and around 210 Farenheit and 45psi oil pressure. You bet I had my eyes on all of the gauges after this ha ha!

It was a pleasure to drive, and comfy. I'm going to do it again in August.
Old 06-11-2016, 07:47 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1991 25' Excella
Stanfield , Oregon
Glad to hear it was nothing major
SpletKay06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2016, 08:42 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Glad to hear the fix was easy. Can't wait to hear about August... Who'd you end up suing?
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote