Old 06-30-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
British Columbia Tips for Visitors.

Everyone at some time will visit this Province as a destination, or passing through to travel the Alaska Highway.
This is an updated info site for information on RV travel in Beautiful British Columbia.

British Columbia - Driving in BC

The information includes towing/braking, insurance, and other good information.

Not all rest areas have RV sani-dumps, but many Canadian Tire Stores and Co-op outlets have free sani-dumps with water.
Happy Holidays
Dave

Old 06-30-2011, 01:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Thanks for the info.

This canuck did not know about the Canadian Tie/Co-op sani-dumps - heck, I'm even a Co-op member.

I hope our fellow Airstreamers will discover the wonders of our province.

Here is a photo from the Porteau Cove campsite, north of Vancouver along the Sea-to-Sky Highway.

Old 06-30-2011, 10:26 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
British Columbia RV Info

There are so many places to boomdock here in the west, that we only CG when we need services or are meeting someone that is not familiar with the area.
You have a dump at the rest stop going east on #1 at Cole Rd, just east of Abbotsford. No water there.
Canadian Tire that I have used, Courtenay, Dawson Creek, both have water. Easy access and lots of room.
Not all CanTire stores are equipped. Depends on local bylaws. Eastern Ontario now have them at many of their new stores.
It would be nice if they put out a RM map like Wallyworld with the info on the back.

Dave
Old 07-01-2011, 10:56 AM   #4
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Now I learned something while reading the info from BC. All motorcycle riders / passengers must wear a helmet in BC unless you are a Sikh and wear a turban. They even cite the length of the material that forms the turban. I guess they figure it provides adaquate padding in case of a collision. Go figure.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 11:02 AM   #5
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Abuse

Then there are those who abuse what is there free for your convienence.

CLOSED

Address:2331 66th Street
Edmonton, Alberta, CDN, T0B
Driving Directions:
Notes:reported 2008-06-23 this location has been shut down permently do to abuse
Water Available:
Season / Operational:
Dump Station User Fee: Free

Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
There are so many places to boomdock here in the west, that we only CG when we need services or are meeting someone that is not familiar with the area.
You have a dump at the rest stop going east on #1 at Cole Rd, just east of Abbotsford. No water there.
Canadian Tire that I have used, Courtenay, Dawson Creek, both have water. Easy access and lots of room.
Not all CanTire stores are equipped. Depends on local bylaws. Eastern Ontario now have them at many of their new stores.
It would be nice if they put out a RM map like Wallyworld with the info on the back.

Dave
Old 07-01-2011, 11:18 AM   #6
3 Rivet Member

1974 27' Overlander
Sault ste Marie , Ontario
Make sure your cooling and braking systems are in top condition because while the hills are not any steeper than other places, they are a lot longer (as in miles longer) and a lot more frequent. It's worth the trip though, BC has some of the most beautiful scenery in the world............Phil
Old 07-01-2011, 01:06 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Quote:
Originally Posted by pgr32e View Post
Make sure your cooling and braking systems are in top condition because while the hills are not any steeper than other places, they are a lot longer (as in miles longer) and a lot more frequent. It's worth the trip though, BC has some of the most beautiful scenery in the world............Phil
Boy, you've got that right.

For those travelling from Vancouver to the interior of the province, there are two routes. The Fraser Canyon and Coquihalla Highway. The Coquihalla Highway is two-hours shorter, but there are some pretty long pulls uphill. Not impossible, as long as your TV is in good shape. The Coq summit is 1,244 m (4,081 ft).

The Fraser Highway has one main pull at Jackass Mtn. (6581 feet).

Going downhill is another thing, but there are lots of runaway lanes.....just in case.

YouTube - ‪Jackass Mountain Summit‬‏

YouTube - ‪Fraser Canyon Tunnels‬‏

YouTube - ‪Ride a Buell from The Box Canyon to Falls Lake‬‏
Old 07-25-2011, 01:16 PM   #8
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
A tip for those travelling into British Columbia through the truck crossing near Blaine on #543 off off I-5.
49.001928,-122.735353 - Google Maps

If you want to use the tax duty free outlet, there is lots of parking in their lot. Do not follow the trucks. Do not park in picture #2. The tax free outlet entrance is just beyond the truck turnoff to the right in picture #3.
If not using the duty free outlet, stay in the left lane for passenger vehicles which includes all RV's including motorhomes.
The signage is not that great and you don't want to get into the actual truck lane. If you enter the duty free lot, don't go out the other side into the truck lineup, but return out where you entered to the passenger lane.
We found the many border crossings had no standard when it comes to signage. Rule is to stay in the passenger lane but watch for height restrictions as some lanes will not take large trailers or motorhomes. A few actually have an RV lane.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IM011956.JPG
Views:	155
Size:	347.0 KB
ID:	135862   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM011957.JPG
Views:	121
Size:	341.7 KB
ID:	135863  

Name:	IM011964.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	380.8 KB
ID:	135864   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM011968.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	408.0 KB
ID:	135865  

Old 07-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Thanks for starting this thread. If all goes as planned, we'll be pulling an Airstream from Anchorage to Seattle, starting the last week of August into the second week of September. We haven't planned the route yet (other than 'just heading south'), so this information and pictures will be a great resource.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 02:42 PM   #10
65th Anniversary CLIPPER

1996 36' Clipper Bus
Of all the border crossings in the last few years, we had no trouble until this June at Hill Island
http://maps.google.ca/maps?q=44.3484...num=1&t=h&z=12
entering the USA . NY state border patrol were extremly rude, and we were not allowed back in the motorhome until cleared.
They put us and the unit through the xray building and then proceeded to search the complete unit with the dog, (blood all over the counter, leather couch, and God knows where else.) I assume the dog had a cut on the paw or jaw. We were so happy to get out of there after being released 2 hours later, that we did not notice the blood until our first rest stop.
Because of this holdup, we missed the hockey #6 game on the TV.
When we exited the Xray building, I heard the message on the radio to look above the kitchen cabinet area. I had stored my new label maker up there and I guess it showed up as a DANGEROUS WEAPON!
If you have a choice, I would say, avoid NY state border entry, especially at this location.
Dave
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IM011102.JPG
Views:	144
Size:	228.7 KB
ID:	135872  
Old 07-25-2011, 02:54 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
I have recently learned that you need a special endorsement on your B.C. driver's licene if your trailer is over 4,600 kg or 10,140 pounds.

I am curious about those visiting B.C. with a trailer over this weight if they are coming from a province/state that does not require this endorsement.
Old 07-25-2011, 04:08 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
1971 27' Overlander
1957 22' Caravanner
Jourdanton , Texas
We just returned from rescuing a trailer from Alaska and we used the BC/US crossing at Abbotsford/Sumas following the recommendations from PBEAR SAILER and a woman we met at a campground who was from Vancouver. It was an easy crossing, customs agents polite, and very little traffic. There was an RV lane which we used, three automobile lanes and one truck lane. The most vehicles we saw in line was three. It helps to have your passports in hand and know the license number of your Aistream.

Paula
Old 07-26-2011, 09:40 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by masseyfarm View Post
Of all the border crossings in the last few years, we had no trouble until this June at Hill Island ...
...entering the USA . NY state border patrol were extremly rude, and we were not allowed back in the motorhome until cleared.
They put us and the unit through the xray building and then proceeded to search the complete unit with the dog, ...
Dave

Got a similar treatment at that same crossing a couple of years ago (everything but the dog). I think I angered the border crossing gods by inadvertently going about 9 inches past the stop sign. After he yelled at me, I was sent to the X-Ray Building.
WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:57 PM   #14
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Last week we crossed from New Brunswick, Canada to Calais, Maine. The border guards were very nice and it was an easy crossing but they asked to enter our AS to check. They were in there several minutes and came out with 2 lemons from our refridgerator. For some reason they are very strict about citrus fruit entering US from Canada. Go figure. These lemons had come from home and traveled into Canada with us but were not allowed back into the US. Could it be that they did not have a passport ????? Still it was an easy crossing. We've never had a delay or any problems crossing to / from Canada.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is online now   Reply With Quote