Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2017, 03:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 23' Safari
Currently Looking...
Ranchos de Taos , New Mexico
Bridger National Forest for the Eclipse

We are planning on boondocking in Bridger Nat Forest for the eclipse. We are traveling from Taos via Denver. Anybody know of things to watch out for...other than animals and idiots. Anybody have a favorite route going toward Jackson, Wy. that is Airstream friendly? Anybody know of a good boondocking location near Jackson? We are thinking of somewhere near Moose or Kelly Wyoming. Thanks for any ideas. BTW this will be our maiden voyage in our 1970 Safari which is not totally finished, but finished enough (I hope). Thanks Tom
twh731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 03:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Tom,

Congratulations on getting her on the road. Bringing a 47 year old icon back to service is clearly an accomplishment.

We can't think of a better maiden voyage for your Safari and hope you have a great trip. We also hope the only dark day you ever have with your trailer is August 21, 2017.

Unfortunately, we can't offer any advice for the area you'll be traveling through, but we're confident others here will chime in. We also believe watching out for "animals and idiots" is a good start...

Enjoy,

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 05:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
If you find the 89-191 intersection south of Jackson and go east on 191 there are quite a few nice FS campgrounds out there and some decent boondocking spots as well.
Hoback creek CG was nice. Up granite creek Rd a few miles further east has some nice spots. Lazy campground a few more miles east was nice too.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 07:58 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2004 28' Classic
Monument , Colorado
Just a heads-up. We live south of Denver. We have heard there will be a lot of traffic going north of Denver on interstate 25 for the eclipse. You will want to get through Denver before 8/20.
DaveP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:01 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Houston , Texas
If this is your maiden voyage is it also your first mountain towing experience? La Veta, the most direct, could be treacherous unless you've fully tested your braking system and you're experienced. Even with all the switch backs going to Angel Fire and then Cimarron and then to I25 might be less harrowing. The most gradual ascent (I think) might be going up to Alamosa, up the rifle road and through FairPlay. Then hop over to Denver with the possibility of looping around the west side. It's been a while but I've taken all these routes, but only towed the Angel Fire (only because I didn't know the lay of the land then. STUDY the maps for elevation change etc. I wouldn't do any of them without good trailer and TV brakes.
I don't know what you're towing with but I hope it has tow/haul mode in the tranny. If no you'll need to manually downshift on descent sooner rather than later.
If you have a lot of experience, no insult meant. If not, be careful out there. I'm coming to Taos either next month or in October and I appreciate your post to get me thinking about the routes myself. Just came over Snoqualmie pass. That was an experience.
Asherstanton is offline   Reply With Quote