Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-26-2018, 09:03 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Edgewater Park , New Jersey
Bridge Tolls

I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this, but I was wondering what you do when you come to a toll bridge.

Can you use the EZ pass or do you have to go to the 'manned' toll? What is the cost for a rig - I know it is usually done by axles.
rwsjms7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2018, 09:30 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2004 19' International CCD
Longmont , Colorado
Per the NJ EZ pass page:
I sometimes pull a camper or trailer with my vehicle. Can I still use my tag?
Yes. In this instance the equipment in the lane is designed to identify that your vehicle is pulling a trailer and you will be charged accordingly. However, if you think this will be a regular occurrence, you should call the Customer Service Center and have them send you a tag programmed for the vehicle classification you use most frequently. You should never use your tag in a vehicle type other than the one you initially requested (i.e. Car tag in a tractor-trailer).
cstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 04:46 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Following up on cstein . . .

There have been many mentions of EZ Pass issues like this:

https://www.google.com/search?q=ez+p...=airforums.com

Here is the NYS page for getting an EZ Pass to include the AS:

http://www.thruway.ny.gov/ezpass/ta-w68176.pdf
FAQ: http://www.thruway.ny.gov/travelers/tolls/faqs.html

We already had an EZ Pass for the TV van, so we called the service number and they mailed the new pass for towing. Our single axle trailer rig is in Tag Code 076 near the top of this form. NJ may have its own form?

See Post #35 here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ml#post1763432

The NYS EZ Pass geographic area is vast, includes the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel to the south, and everything NE of this including all bridges, tunnels, and interstates. With many toll booths going to the new system of billing drivers based on their license plate tags, the EZ Pass is very economic as you get a greatly discounted rate.

Happy trails!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 05:40 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1986 25' Sovereign
Kalamazoo , Michigan
We live in MI and got an EZpass from Massachusetts (No monthly fee). One for truck-trailer combo and one for the truck alone in case we unhooked and explored. It worked well all the way through IN, Ohio, NY, MA, and back. The one we were NOT using remained in the metallic bag, hidden away.
Joe
joevdb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 06:53 AM   #5
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
I have one ez-pass account. 2 Passenger vehicles. I do not have a special sending unit for towing. With one single exception ( I'll mention that later) I use the EZ-Pass as usual and the tolls count the axels and charge me the appropriate fee. Since we are in NJ, as you are, we likely use the same toll roads. This has worked as it should in our travels wherever we find that the EZ-pass accepted. Now for the exception. If you travel out of NJ on RT 78 going into Pennsylvania I have found that if I use the high speed lane I am charged a higher amount, that for a commercial truck. It amounts to about $16, I think. In those cases I needed to send the toll authority a letter giving date and time ( from my EZ-pass account) and they will make the correction to $3, again I think. To avoid that, when making that crossing I use the toll plaza and the charges are made correctly. ALL other EZ-Pass tolls work as they should.

Hope this answers your question. See ya on the road sometime.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 07:08 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Edgewater Park , New Jersey
What happens when you go thru a toll and there is a swing arm? Does it know not to come down on the top of your rig? I suppose it must considering truckers use it all the time.

I just hate the thought of the gate coming down on my baby.
rwsjms7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2018, 01:07 PM   #7
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Can't say I recall a swing arm toll while towing but I'll bet they have a sensor to assure that the longer vehicles fully pass by

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:08 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari
Tyler , Texas
May I recommend the Ohio pass. It’s good for most all of north central and north eastern New England states.

https://www.ezpassoh.com

We live in Texas and use it when headed north.
Alice&Billis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 06:11 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwsjms7 View Post
I'm not sure if this is the appropriate thread for this, but I was wondering what you do when you come to a toll bridge.

Can you use the EZ pass or do you have to go to the 'manned' toll? What is the cost for a rig - I know it is usually done by axles.
Select on your GPS "Avoid Tolls" and all will be better !
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by DBinSD View Post
Select on your GPS "Avoid Tolls" and all will be better !
. . . as long as an adult human being, who knows the roads in question, confirms that the GPS route makes sense IMO.

In the Northeast [OP is from NJ], avoiding toll roads, bridges and tunnels is almost impossible. At a minimum, a toll-avoidance strategy could lead to massive time delays.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:33 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 28' International
Sioux Falls , SD
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
. . . as long as an adult human being, who knows the roads in question, confirms that the GPS route makes sense IMO.

In the Northeast [OP is from NJ], avoiding toll roads, bridges and tunnels is almost impossible. At a minimum, a toll-avoidance strategy could lead to massive time delays.
My assumption was the adult was the one changing the settings

From SD having only three trips back East. This toll avoidance resulted in about 30-45 min more travel per day. Exception being I-95 through NY as I did not know of any good alternative.

IMO the toll roads are horrible.
Better to live one day a lion than a lifetime a sheep. Camp hard, camp often
DBinSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2018, 07:51 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Berlin , Maryland
The only places I know that you cannot use use the EZPASS lame is when there is restrictions regarding propane. For instance the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel all lanes are gated and they ask if your propane tanks are turned off. Other then that I have never had a problem going thru thru the Ezpass unmanned toll both

s
urnmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 01:47 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by urnmor View Post
The only places I know that you cannot use use the EZPASS lame is when there is restrictions regarding propane. For instance the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel all lanes are gated and they ask if your propane tanks are turned off. Other then that I have never had a problem going thru thru the Ezpass unmanned toll both

s
There ARE other tunnels that require RVs to stop and have their tanks physically checked. Non-toll tunnels include Hampton Roads tunnel, Monitor-Merrimac Tunnel and toll tunnels between Portsmouth and Norfolk. Additionally, always take the loop around Baltimore as NO propane tanks bigger than the mini tanks used on a coleman stove are allowed ... huge fire there when a propane tanker blew up back in the 1950s.

And some ferries inspect your tanks too. (I have rather fond memories of bringing my new to me 2012 Eddie Bauer home from Colonial AS via the Cape May ferry. Every security guard present toured it as did several dozen respectful but curious passengers. I was happy to show off the unique "fossil leaf" sliding cabinet doors and the back hatch. A drool fest for one nice older man whose daddy had owned the typical plaid 70's interior unit.)

Paula
Old 04-04-2018, 02:10 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1984 27' Airstream 270
Scotia , New York
A note on the NY EZ pass, I use to have a single pass for the car and swap it to the MH when traveling.
They frown on that, even with a single rear axle, so I picked up a tag just for the MH.
Since mine is a Excella 270 with a single rear axle I get a lower price than the larger vehicles. I am not sure about states other than NY, but it saves me bucks around here.

NOTE: I just looked at my account and I guess they modified the criteria for the lower price. It now says the weight should be 7K or less! That was not there before, 7 tons is close enough, right?
WayneG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 05:01 PM   #15
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Currently Looking...
Livingston , Texas
I live in Texas, but full time all over. After a lot of research, I went with North Carolina’s Quick Pass. It works with all EZ Pass AND Sunpass and Peachpass toll roads. One transmitter, and no mix ups when towing or not towing. Florida did extort a supposedly no transponder toll from me, which has yet to be resolved by NCQuickpass, even though my statement shows it was read for the correct number of axles and paid.

Further research shows this to be a pattern of extortion in Florida, regardless of the state of registration or transponder. So if you use a mail forwarding service, check to see if a notice came from Sunpass a week after you used their Turnpike. Then, you should be able to avoid paying the mail notice fees.

However, there is yet to be a transponder recognized by all electronic toll systems. Texas, Oklahoma and Kansas do not recognize any other transponders other than their own, which are recognized by the other two states.
2008 Classic 30'
2019 F250 4x4
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 06:15 PM   #16
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneG View Post
NOTE: I just looked at my account and I guess they modified the criteria for the lower price. It now says the weight should be 7K or less! That was not there before, 7 tons is close enough, right?
Of course it is. K is the abbreviation for kton. The k is silent.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2018, 07:15 PM   #17
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Evidently Texas outsources their out of state toll collection. The auto tolls are small and seem to be ignored. The RV fees are big enough to justify the effort to collect. As others have recommended, set the GPS to "no toll roads"! As normal - conditions, law, protocol, and milage may vary. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote