Old 06-04-2016, 08:00 PM   #57
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
"Add a pair of "Family Band" radios (walkie-talkies) to help the wife/husband/copilot direct the long long back-up." Great advice. We've had a pair for several years now and use them all the time. They are always used when backing into a campsite. Much better and safer than hand signals. Jo Ann gets out and can walk around to eyeball any hazards, then stay safely out of the way while I'm backing.

David Lininger, kb0zke
AIR 54240
Heartland mpg 181 (sold)
1993 Foretravel U300 (for sale)
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:09 AM   #58
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Originally Posted by dbj216 View Post
We have an old saying in our family: If you can drive in, you can back out.

Develop your backing skills and you'll be fine.

The reverse scenario of this is not always true..... A person can back into a place that is pretty much impossible to pull out of.

Superat stultitia.

The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 06:49 PM   #59
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
I've had tight back in spots at campgrounds that were impossible to pull out of after a big rig takes the spot in front of me and took the room I needed to pull out. Some campgrounds are not well designed for longer trailers like mine.

So I make sure I don't encroach in anyway on another campsite when I back in. My tow vehicle needs to stay on the road. If I can't crank it that sharp, then back to the office to find a bigger place.

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 07:45 PM   #60
Overland Adventurer
1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Towing a long trailer is reallly easy.... just wait for your wife to scream "STOPPPPPPP" ! At this point you know you've gone far enough.
Learn to anticipate this scream....
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:41 PM   #61
Rivet Master
1990 25' Excella
Sisters , Oregon
I'm very careful about this. But it happened to me in what turned out to be in a mild way just recently. I missed a turn to a campground and continued along a two lane road up a mountain. The road became narrower and narrower until I could see it turned into a gravel road just ahead. There were relatively narrow shoulders but I decided I better try and turn around before I reached the gravel.

I was barely able to make it with the sharpest u-turn I've ever tried towing a trailer. Luckily my TV has a very small turning radius and with the wife walking along outside to warn about a jack-knife I was just able to make it. Otherwise there would have been a lot of back and forth.

I was amazed at how sharply I was able to turn. Don't think I did the trailer tires any favors though.
John & Vicki
WBCCI #4291

Grown men don't need leaders. ~ Edward Abbey
John&Vicki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 12:57 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member
2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vashon , Washington
Just this week, I exited an RV parking area at a gift shop and crossed the 4 lane road heading to the gas station across the street. Just as I pulled in a small car zoomed in and took the closest of 2 pumps on the left. I then veered over a lane and pulled to the forward pump. I needed to stretch the hose across the truck but alas it didn't reach and I had to back my 25' AS and pickup back out and wait for the other person so I could use the left side pump. My wife directed traffic away as I slowly maneuvered out and back into the pump lane narrowly missing the concrete barrier in front of the pumps. As I prepared to leave, a large pickup parked in an open spot ahead of me causing me to struggle out of the pump lane and turn, just missing his tail. He apologized saying he didn't think. I sweat a few rivulets but managed the tight squeeze and got back on the road. Another lesson learned.
2016 Flying Cloud 25 FB Twin
2014 Ford F150 3.5L V6 Ecoboost w/ max towing pkg
oh, and Cleo the wonderdog
dprvashon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2016, 01:20 PM   #63
Agent 86
1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
When maneuvering a large vehicle, a miss by an inch is as good as a miss by a mile....

Superat stultitia.

The fact that I am opinionated does not presuppose that I am wrong......

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote