Old 02-25-2016, 04:17 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
With a longer trailer you also need to watch out for abrupt angle changes in roads, driveways and intersections. You can drag your tongue jack, high center or drag your end.

Sail on silver girl. Sail on by. Your time has come to shine.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 04:38 PM   #30
yuppie cowboy
2012 30' Classic
Star , Idaho
Boxed in

The advise you are getting is all good. The longer the unit as the other member quoted was very true in that longer is easier to back then short. Fuel stops to avoid problems should be travel centers like truck stops. My background is trucking of manufactured homes for the past 45 years. Once you get used to the size you will do fine. My new drivers are at first a little intimidated at first by towing 16x80 loads, but after a short time it's all good. Best of luck to you my friend.

larrykling1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:15 PM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2003 31' Classic
Terra Alta , West Virginia
Don't hurry. Move slow and easy in any maneuver and trust what you see much more than GPS. Common sense. Don't over think it. You know what to do. Most of us enjoy the tow and you will too.
wvstreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:35 PM   #32
Rivet Master
1996 25' Excella
Tillsonburg , Ontario
All of the above! First time out I got boxed in behind a doughnut shop....took me 10 minutes of juggling but I got out. Worst case I would have un-hooked and turned the TV and backed in to hook up on a more favorable angle. I made the decision from then on to park in a plaza or supermarket lot and walk 100 yards rather than try to get into a lunch stop that isn't set up for RVs. Still I have had to back up a quarter mile when I made a bad decision and ended up 'dead-ended'. So start practicing.
JCWDCW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 07:43 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1966 24' Tradewind
Conifer , Colorado
We have an old saying in our family: If you can drive in, you can back out.

Develop your backing skills and you'll be fine.

dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2016, 10:37 PM   #34
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
And alternatively, once you located that gas station with easy arrival and departure.... they probably sell drinkable coffee, have an attached Subway or its equivalent (Timmies in Ontario?) for sandwiches (driver fills up while passengers do a fast-food run) &c.

This saves the really fun backing stuff for getting into tight camping spots or out of questionable dirt roads into the boondocks.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:31 AM   #35
2006 22' International CCD
Estes Park , Colorado
Thanks for this thread. I'm learning a lot. I still consider myself a newbie after a year and a half of towing. This is an issue I think about a lot. My wife, my copilot, seems to think we can just pull in anywhere. Not so, sometimes I stop in the street and do a walkabout before pulling into someplace where I can't see an exit strategy. I figure it's better to tick off people in the street for a couple of minutes rather than people in a parking lot for 30 minutes.
Terry P. Rizzuti, "Yertle"

"My two cents is worth every penny."
TRizzuti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 08:55 AM   #36
2 Rivet Member
2005 28' Classic
Moutain Center , California
My husband's advice:
Never pull into a place you haven't checked out how you're going to get out of.
If you find yourself having to go in or out of a steep driveway, go at a diagonal.
If the 18 wheelers can do it - you can!
If you have to park 2 blocks away and walk, do it!
CJ Winch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:09 AM   #37
Rivet Master
2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
We look at Google Earth to scope out restaurant parking when traveling.It is a big help.Learning the art of backing a trailer will help you in all areas of traveling with a Airstream.It is a must!
Moflash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:11 AM   #38
2 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic
London , Ontario
Some really great suggestions here! We haven't picked a TV yet, so possibly larger tanks if we get a pickup are a good idea. Same with the front receiver. Not to start a TV war, but we're initially looking at a Caravan or Town & Country, and making use of Andy's expertise in weight distribution. That will let us keep the cost down while we're new, and once we start to roam further afield, we'll consider a more powerful TV.

I'm definitely going to need to practice being slow and methodical when maneuvering. Being Canadian, I'm hard-wired to not want to inconvenience others through my actions. Stopping and looking around when necessary is a great idea. I'll just have to overcome my 'Canadian-ness'.

I'm sure I'll be fine once I get a few miles and trips under my belt. Our plan for this year is to spend most of our time at local provincial parks in Ontario and get used to our new baby, and stay on roads that we're familiar with. Once we've had a few shakedown trips, we'll consider venturing further afield. We absolutely love the US state parks we've been too. There are more than I can name in both Michigan and upstate New York that are absolutely fantastic places to stay.

I really appreciate hearing everyone's advice. These forums are great - there's such a great variety of experiences out there - and everyone is so willing to share!

Brawny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:12 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Originally Posted by Brawny View Post
. . .
Not to start a TV war . . .
. . .
Too late! (with the mention of those possible tow vehicles)

Way too small for a 30' Classic IMO.

Good luck!

Over and out.
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:42 PM   #40
Rivet Master
2015 30' FB FC Bunk
Ayer , Massachusetts
My kids always complain we don't go through the drive through.
Ted S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:57 PM   #41
Rivet Master
2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Sounds like we need a drone solution. We could call it the AS Scout. Oh, that's been taken.........folks we need a new name.

TR - that 22 should tow like a second skin. It's narrow as well as short and should spin on a dime. Just watch those overhangs.

Travel safe. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 12:01 PM   #42
Len and Jeanne
2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Brawny, we bought our first AS from Can-Am when we were living in Ontario, and took our first two trips to The Pinery and MacGregor Point provincial parks. These worked out well, because we could easily phone Can-Am about any questions or problems (like how to get the propane stove started.) Ideally you can reserve a pull-through site.

As you know, just avoid The Pinery over the long weekend when all of the high school kids in southwestern Ontario pile in there.

p.s. Canadian politeness should work both ways. Those Ontarians you've miffed while backing out of a tight squeeze at Timmies should be too polite to show it.

Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote