Old 03-23-2017, 12:38 PM   #1
gwg
2 Rivet Member

2015 30' Classic
Glen Mills , Pennsylvania
Bourbon Trail KY

We are planning on visiting KY Bourbon Trail area prior to Alumapalooza this year. Any recommendations for a campground that will allow us to see a few distillery's?

gwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 12:53 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
The Bourbon Trail remains one of my favorite trips. My son and I drove our classic motorhome to virtually every distillery in the area. We stayed at the Old Kentucky Home state park in Bardstown. This is the best place to start the trail with a visit to the museums to learn the history of bourbon and the area. The prohibition display is wonderful. The roads from Bardstown will take you everywhere you need to go. Enjoy your trip and have a couple shots of Buffalo Trace for me.

Old 03-23-2017, 04:59 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2013 23' FB Flying Cloud
Jericho , Vermont
We hit part of the Bourbon Trail last year on our way west, and camped at the Kentucky Horse Park (http://www.kyhorsepark.com/) in Lexington KY. It's convenient to at least two of the distilleries: Town Branch (http://www.kentuckyale.com), and Woodford Reserve (http://www.woodfordreserve.com), and the museum at the park is pretty cool if you're at all into horses. You can see some past Kentucky Derby winners in the flesh, and there's generally a lot of interesting things going on.

Dan
VTSmitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 05:21 PM   #4
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
GWG,

Swap ya free parking in SC, backyard camp, campfire, and pancake breakfast if you bring down a good selection of samples. We have ice.

And the backyard campfire could be worthy all by itself.

Gary
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017, 06:10 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

Northville , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTSmitty View Post
We hit part of the Bourbon Trail last year on our way west, and camped at the Kentucky Horse Park (http://www.kyhorsepark.com/) in Lexington KY. It's convenient to at least two of the distilleries: Town Branch (http://www.kentuckyale.com), and Woodford Reserve (http://www.woodfordreserve.com), and the museum at the park is pretty cool if you're at all into horses. You can see some past Kentucky Derby winners in the flesh, and there's generally a lot of interesting things going on.

Dan
X2 on the Horse Park. 4 major distilleries reasonably close to the park. More are within a 1 hour drive. Mary Todd Lincoln house in Lexington is a nice stop. The Blue Grass Tavern next door to Cheapside Bar and Grill has an amazingly large selection of Bourbons available, some get VERY expensive! Stop in to one of the Ramsey Dinners (small local chain) and order a Kentucky Brown. I think Ramsey's makes the best KB in Kentucky, granted this IS a heart attack on a plate, but everyone should try it once. In addition Ramsey's have great desserts. My personal favorite location is on Old Harrodsburg Road just south of Man O' War Blvd on the south side of town.. Red State Bar B Que on Georgetown Road south of Iron Works Pike if you want local BBQ (very close to the KHP). Both Red State and Ramsey's are on my teams favorite stops to eat when working in Lexington.
Babe's BBQ on Cincinnati Rd just south of Cherry Blossom Way north of Georgetown is also very good, but is a bit farther out.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:54 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Brandenburg , Kentucky
Bourbon Trail KY

The campground at My Old Kentucky Home state park is convenient, but has a couple drawbacks. 1. There are only a couple of W/E/S sites( they back up to the golf course pro shop with nice views of the course). 2. Sites farthest away from the golf pro shop on the outer and inner ring, are tight to back into. 3. The shower house is old, but clean. There is a dump station located next to the shower house. No WiFi and cell service and television reception is spotty. Was not impressed with White Acre campground located east of Bardstown Ky. If you do, and I recommend doing the Bourbon Trail, just resign yourself to the fact that the distilleries are not centrally located, but you'll get to see the beautiful KY countryside and small towns. I would recommend stopping in Lawrenceburg KY and getting a bite to eat at Heavens to Betsy's restaurant. All homemade dishes. The hot Italian sandwich or the BLT are my favorites. I'd second the recommendation for KY Horse Park campground. Nice wide sites. Don't think they have sewage hookups. If you stay at KY Horse Park, thin about heading over to Keeneland horse track to watch the ponies run. Very nice place to visit. The must see distillery's to see are Makers Mark and Buffalo Trace (make a reservation for the hard hat tour at BT - real behind the scenes view). Of course a stop by the Bourbon Heritage Center, just behind My Old KY Home SP, is nice. Just a couple miles past there is Willetts distillery (still growing/ upgrading facilities). Have fun, be safe, and enjoy.
Tsunami-v2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2017, 08:26 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Bartlett , Illinois
I stayed at My old Kentucky home CG also. Above description is accurate. Makers Mark is the best tour. Some of the Distilleries are not operating during part of the summer. So that can make for a less then interesting tour. Just check before going.
Bluestar99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2018, 09:40 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
the woodlands , Texas
We are going to do the Bourbon Trail on our way to JC. Will look to stay in KY Horse Park based on your advice. We travel with our dog. He is good in the RV for up to 8 hours- just worry in the summer if the AC goes out. Is there a place to kennel dogs at the distilleries or at the Horse Park? Like at some National Parks? Any other advice for dogs in the summer in an RV? Thanks. We look forward to the tour.

Leslieotr is offline   Reply With Quote