Old 06-03-2010, 10:26 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for the info.

Mosquito-fearing-friend will enjoy the trip, I'm sure. He's going to smack me for writing all this. We will be at Two Harbors, Temperance River, the Gunflint trail and all parts in between. Hubby & I are going to visit Ely and the Wolf and Bear Centers on the way there, where we have never been, although have pretty thoroughly explored MN over the years. Friend has never been up there before.

I went to college in Mpls years ago and have friends in Sandstone we visit with yearly. A beautiful state.

Maggie

Old 06-03-2010, 09:35 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
August and late summer can be fairly mosquito free. June is generally the worst month. In addition to mosquitos you can get horse flys and noseeums in June that will drive you inside for cover even with protection. Often when there are mosquitos around they are not all that bothersome until evening. As maxandgeorgia said, seldom are you bothered right near the Lake Superior shore.

Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 10:19 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Lexington , Minnesota
You can buy Permetherin products and treat your clothes with it. It is NOT for skin! Clothes sprayed with it, and then dried before wearing can be used and even get wet or washed for several weeks. The Permetherin will repel ticks, mosquitos, biting flies, but not bears. I use it every year. Mosquitos in BWCAW are usually not bad in August, but it's always good to come prepared. Staying by Superior definitely cuts down on the bug factor. The farther inland you go from the big lake, the worse they get, in general.

Kay
Old 06-04-2010, 06:55 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Thanks for all the info, which is consistent with our experiences thus far.

We are coming armed with the all-natural, insect-repelling soap from Herbaria.com, which has worked well thus far and doesn't require chemicals on our skin. Have a heavy-duty spray of some sort in the RV, as back-up. We can always arm-wrestle very-prepared friend for his supplies, if needed.

Maggie
Old 06-14-2010, 09:18 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
BTW, if there are any Airstream or Airstream Interstate Class B owners interested, I am hosting a BEE Social Group rally in Grand Marais, MN September 9, 10, 11. You make your own reservations at the Grand Marais Community Campground. BEE Social Group is a no rules, no fees group of Class B campervan owners, or wannaBEE fans with other kinds of RVs, or even past Class B owners that have moved up to bigger luxury.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:19 AM   #20
LEV ZEPPELIN

2004 19' International CCD
Chicago , Illinois
Reviving an old thread.

We are planning a trip end of month, beginning of September to Sawbill. Had a great time a few years back.

Has anyone been up there recently? I'm most concerned about the last 19 miles of road, and the condition. I think I'd duct tape every cabinet shut, including fridge if we try this again.

CL
Old 08-02-2011, 12:45 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 28' International CCD
Springfield , Missouri
Just returned last week from the end of the Gunflint trail.The road was in great condition.The fishing was good.And it was as beautiful as ever.
My family has property on the Seagull river that opens up to Lake Saganaga.Have been going there for 30+ years.Great Airstream escape destination!!
Old 08-02-2011, 12:46 PM   #22
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
I was up the Sawbill Trail last year and camped, not this year. Roads were fine as far as gravel roads could go. We saw this guy on the Sawbill Trail last year.

This year we went to Grand Marais Community Campground again for a couple of nights to take in the Grand Marais food scene, Lake Kimball National Forest CG about 12 miles north of Grand Marais and Two Island Lake National Forest Campground also about 12 miles north of Grand Marais and just north of Devil Track Lake. Those national forest campgrounds are accessible off the Gunflint Trail. They have good trailer sites. My absolute favorite is Trails End National Forest Campground 57 miles at the very end of the Gunflint Trail (paved BTW). It too is on the very edge of the BWCAW and I think has more spectacular campsites than Sawbill and also has canoe outfitters in the area, the Trails End Cafe and the new and nearby Chik-wauk Museum and Nature Center.

Chik-Wauk Museum and Nature Center
Old 08-02-2011, 05:40 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
The BWCA is spectacular, and one of our favorite areas.

Glad you had a good time, and thanks for all the info.

Maggie
Old 08-02-2011, 08:40 PM   #24
Rivet Master

Tonka Bay
Dang, I forgot I already mentioned the Sawbill Trail trip last year and included the moose on the previous page. Oh well. I did travel a lot of gravel roads between the Sawbill Trail and Two Island Lake all the way over to Tofte last month and they were all in pretty good condition with minimal washboarding. So, I would surmise the Sawbill Trail would probably be in similar condition. The weather has not been harsh to the area's roads this year.