Old 09-20-2009, 09:09 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
san antonio , Texas
Boulder CO to San Antonio, Tx

Picking up our new (vintage but new to us) AS in Bouler in mid-October and headed back to San Antonio. New to AS and trailering. Looking for route suggestions on way home. Should we stay on 25 all the way to Las Vegas NM or venture another route that might have less traffic such as Walsenburg to Alamosa and down 285 or 159? And then from Las Vegas to Texas? By way of Carlsbad and get to 10 or Clovis to Lubbock and south?Any campground suggestions along the route would be helpful too. Thanks!

Old 09-20-2009, 09:52 PM   #2
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Keymar , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishergal View Post
Picking up our new (vintage but new to us) AS in Bouler in mid-October and headed back to San Antonio. New to AS and trailering. Looking for route suggestions on way home. Should we stay on 25 all the way to Las Vegas NM or venture another route that might have less traffic such as Walsenburg to Alamosa and down 285 or 159? And then from Las Vegas to Texas? By way of Carlsbad and get to 10 or Clovis to Lubbock and south?Any campground suggestions along the route would be helpful too. Thanks!
If you want to stay off the Interstates try the US routes. They can be just as fast or slow as you want. Usually more scenic and less crowded.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2009, 10:16 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2005 16' International CCD
Wimberley , Texas
Disregard, I thought you were going to Boulder. Good Luck!
Old 09-21-2009, 06:28 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Wimberley , Texas
I'll get this right sooner or later..I think I inhaled too many fumes yesterday. I have made that trip many times and I like to go I 25 to Raton, NM and then east through Clayton NM into Texas. Here is a link MSN maps and directions. Good luck!Your web browser and the Maps site are incompatible=
Old 09-21-2009, 09:23 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1954 25' Cruiser
Kyle , The Republic of Texas
Best of luck on your trip home. Once you get used to towing, you'll be able to better enjoy the scenery. Don't forget - the Texas Highland Lakes Unit of the WBCCI hosts a vintage rally in February, celebrating those wonderful vintage Airstreams. You'll find more information here on the Forums. Hope to see you & your trailer there!!
Old 09-21-2009, 12:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
1964 17' Bambi II
Laramie , Wyoming
Quote:
We'd rather recommend the back roads...less hastle, more scenery.

Go east on I-70 but get off in Limon and head south on 287/385. Spend the first night in Lamar.

Stay on 385 the second day and stop to picnic at the Boys ranch rest stop just inside Texas. Spend the night in Level Land at the free community RV park on the south side of town. It has water and power and a dump station.

Third day Get off 385 at Brownfield for 137. Take that to Lamesa for 87. Stay on 87 through the hill country to I-10 and head on into San Antonio.

We've made this our favorite route.
Santana tandem bike
WBCCI # 4181 VAC member
Antique Pedaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 03:49 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
Austin , Texas
Welcome to the forums fishergal. I agree with Antique Pedaler. We have traveled both routes and even though we think the route to Raton is more senic, since you are new to trailer towing, the route down the East part of Colorado will be less challenging. I-25 has a couple of REALLY LONG AND STEEP grades that could give you some difficulty. Once you are used to towing, you will not have any problems with that route in the future. Good luck with your new Airstream.

Dennis
Old 09-23-2009, 09:26 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
St. Hedwig , Texas
If you head east from Raton, NM into Texas I believe that toute takes you to Dumas, TX where there is a great City Park with hookups. It's right beside the railroad tracks. We stayed there in 2007 and found it to be nice clean place to stay where they ask for donations only. I believe it is located on the highway that goes to Raton.
Old 09-23-2009, 11:11 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Austin , Texas
I left Rock Mountain Nation Park the Moraine campground yesterday morning, 29 degrees with light snow, They were forcasting 16 inches of snow west of Denver do not know it the got it.. If you are overnighting in the old new to you AS make sure you have a good heater this time of year. I overnighted at the Texas Rest Stop on I27 north of Lubbock and it was around 49 degrees this morning. My Bambi was nice and tosty with the furnice just kicking on a few times drydocking at the rest stop.

I drove from the park through Boulder, to Denver and had lunch with Family, left Denver around 3pm yesterday heading east on I70 turning south on US 40/287. There is construction on US 40/287 just west of Wild Horse the highway is down to one lane and I had about a 20 minute wait. I was the first in line and the flagman told me I would have plenty of time to get in the trailer make a sandwich before the pilot car got back. He was right. That poor flagman was earning his pay yesterday, it was in the low 40's and the wind was right out of the north. I ate my sandwich and waited him to wave me one. The roads where nice after that. I like taking the back roads and geocache along the way.
Old 09-24-2009, 07:01 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1963 24' Tradewind
san antonio , Texas
Co to SA

Thanks for the advice---our other thought is to go south on 25 to Walsenburg then west to Ft Garland or Alamosa then south into New Mexico to Questa or Tres Piedras. I know that goes through the mountains but does that get us any less challenging drives? We would then head down south to Roswell. Thanks
Old 09-24-2009, 07:17 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1992 34' Excella
Austin , Texas
Take US287 to Wichita Falls and then US281 to San Antone. That's an easy and sometimes scenic route - just watch your fuel and plan your fuel stops.
Crusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 09:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Longmont , Colorado
Quote:
Thanks for the advice---our other thought is to go south on 25 to Walsenburg then west to Ft Garland or Alamosa then south into New Mexico to Questa or Tres Piedras. I know that goes through the mountains but does that get us any less challenging drives? We would then head down south to Roswell. Thanks
LaVeta Pass, between Walsenburg and Alamosa, is 9,400'. Raton Pass, between Trinidad and Raton, NM, is only 7,800'. To avoid all passes, I'd suggest the more eastern routes as already advised in other posts. Have a fun trip!
Old 09-24-2009, 03:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Boerne, TX / , Evergreen, CO
Send a message via AIM to Westfalia Send a message via Skype™ to Westfalia
From what I've heard 281 near San Antonio is practically grid lock most of the time. I'm in the process of moving from the Denver Area to an area just outside of San Antonio called Boerne. I driven it several times but have gone a completely different route each time. Still trying to decide the best route but will probably do I-25 to Raton, Raton to Clayton, Clayton to Amarillo, Amarillo to Abilene, Abilene to Fredricksberg and down to I-10.

from:denver co to:US-83 to:N US-87 to:I-10 E to:I-10 E to:29.772722,-98.740997 - Google Maps
Old 09-25-2009, 06:15 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Wimberley , Texas
I travel us 281 from Blanco to San Antonio all of the time. The only time it is ever heavy with southbound traffic is during the morning commute but traffic moves well. The rest of the day is no problem.