Old 04-07-2016, 07:12 AM   #29
Rivet Master
1999 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Somewhere , Ohio
Thanks so much everyone for all the information and link, all will be very helpful!

Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:31 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Health insurance - Are you covered in Canada?
If you are old enough to have it, Medicare does not cover medical costs if you get sick or have an accident while you are in Canada.

A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member
2004 22' Safari
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
You'd be surprised what records are kept by both borders.
Canada and the USA share their data bases as to when you entered the country and leave the country, as well as licence plate numbers of the vehicle and trailer you are pulling. They may also include in the data base answers to any questions you may have been asked in regards to how many people with you & their passport numbers as well as animals. How long you plan to stay in either country and your travel plans. It will also include any mistakes you may have made in the past regarding goods you should not bring across the line. For example if you where found to be carrying a forbidden veggie on a crossing you can pretty well bet on the fact they will check your fridge on any subsequent visits. They also have access to any criminal record you may have.

BTW a DUI is considered a criminal offence in Canada so do not be surprised if you are turned away at the Canadian border due to having committed such and offence in the US. The later happens a lot at the Canadian border.

Big brother on both sides of the border know all!

Here is the link to the Government of Canada's webpage which gives the actual requirements for traveling with pets in regards to vaccinations and food.

Here is the link to the actual US requirements for a dog entering the USA via land.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:58 AM   #32
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We crossed from New Brunswick into Maine at the Calais border crossing early morning a few years ago. It was the only time our trailer was ever entered at the border. They confiscated several lemons from our refrigerator. We were unaware of the citrus restriction. The lemons actually came from NJ but how to prove such a thing. It may not have mattered anyhow. They were very nice and professional. Now regarding records, There may or may not have been a record made of this but on several subsequent crossings we have not been checked or even had it mentioned. Actually since it was pretty early in the AM I think they were having a cup of tea and needed some lemon. Good thing we ate the grapefruit for breakfast. All of our crossings have been efficient, pleasant and professional.
Roger in NJ

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:35 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I've been back and forth between Canada and the US with and without our Airstream and encountered few problems. I have the added complication that I am traveling on a British passport so have to obtain a 3 month Visa Waiver card from the US authorities at the border. I've learned that it's much easier to take a day trip over to Detroit or Port Huron without the trailer a few days prior to making the same crossing with the Airstream. That way I'm concentrating on just the Visa Waiver and have an empty car for the border people to go through whilst I'm in the office filling out the paperwork. When I do cross again with the trailer, all my entry paperwork is up to date and the border staff can work on looking at the loaded trailer.

Heading into the US, sometimes the Airstream's been searched, sometimes not. We have made it our policy to carry no food at all, not even lunch, when we cross. Food seems to be the big issue and, as we have found out, there are plenty of stores and restaurants in the US that sell food (strangely!), so we simply reduce the risk to zero. The guard commented last time when he went through the empty fridge and freezer. We make a Walmart or some such our first call when in the US.

Coming back into Canada we've never been searched, car or trailer. The CBSA are often concerned about the ownership of the trailer, fearing I think that we may have bought it in the US and might be importing it into Canada. The Ontario plates and ownership papers have been checked, though, and we've passed through with no trouble.

The respective countries' record keeping is interesting, though. I was roundly chewed out by the border guard last time I crossed over to the US because I'd let a Visa Waiver get out of date without returning the little card they give you. All manner of threats were issued but, when I went into the office to sort out a new Visa Waiver, they were fine. I think the theory is that I could have over-stayed in the US but, when the clerk checked the computer, my movements across the border were all there on the screen and they could see that I'd been in Canada all along. A new Waiver card was issued but needless to say, I handed that card back when we returned to Canada!

Steve; also known as Mr UK Toad

"You can't tow that with that!"
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote