Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-06-2016, 09:14 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
You said, "Canada is NOT firearm friendly like the US". That's editorializing and has nothing to do with our regulations. Like I said, misinformation.
Editorializing? Ok, you win!
TAC FL-47
2018 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 09:50 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Flying Cloud
Fraser Valley , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandttimes View Post
If you phone the border crossing you are planning to go through, you will be given the choice of English or French, not both.

George
As I said, don't trust any internet forum.
Old 04-06-2016, 10:10 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by n2916s View Post
Theoretically, your dog should have a health certificate and a record of rabies vaccination. We have never been asked for them but...

Mike
Actually a heath certificate is only required if a dog is flying.

All you need for the dog when driving is a copy of the rabies vaccination certificate. The odds of being asked are low but having done many trips it does happen. Also note that the dog food must be in the bag and made in Canada or the USA and going into Canada the bag can be open but going back into the USA the bag must not be opened - strange but true. I know lots of folks who have had US customs take the open bag of dog food!

Going in both directions fire wood and plants are a no no. Lots of fruits and veggies are on the no no list as well so I never carry then across. Another current NO NO item which was previously ok is fresh eggs - again both directions.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 11:11 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Not always a great experience.

Hi, read "Bob, Lee, and Dusty's random trips" complete; You will find that we crossed the Canadian border many times and had a great time. But on our last cross country trip, we were not treated nicely. After hours of harassment by the Canadians, We asked them to show us where to make a "U" turn so we could go back to where we would be welcomed. After that ordeal, like Mexico, I have no desire to ever go back to Canada.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:40 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
When we cross our dogs go with us. We carry shot records, Veterinarians health certificate and statement from Veterinarian as to breed. Pit Bulls and Pit mixes are generally not permitted into Ontario for example.

As for firearms, we carry them in per this link:
https://www.ezbordercrossing.com/the...m-into-canada/
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:56 AM   #26
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, read "Bob, Lee, and Dusty's random trips" complete; You will find that we crossed the Canadian border many times and had a great time. But on our last cross country trip, we were not treated nicely. After hours of harassment by the Canadians, We asked them to show us where to make a "U" turn so we could go back to where we would be welcomed. After that ordeal, like Mexico, I have no desire to ever go back to Canada.
To clarify this. Robert was clearly attempting to bring an undocumented old sickly animal into Canada, in a brazen bid to take advantage of our universal free veterinary services. Once at the border, realizing the dog may not make it, and overcome with emotion, he attempted to blow through the border without stopping at the clearly indicated white line, which is akin to trying to run the US border while carrying Barium in your body.
These sort of shenanigans are not tolerated, and are delt with severity by the CBSA. Until Robert learns how to say "Sorry", which is a distinctly Canadian term, he is no longer invited to come and play with us.

Cheers
Tony

“It’s a recession when your neighbor loses his job; it’s a depression when you lose your own.” "Harry S Truman"
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 06:28 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Coming home to the US has always been more problematic for us. We've had the trailer searched and had orange rinds from the bottom of our garbage pail confiscated. But it makes for a good story.
Old 04-07-2016, 06:38 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
You'd be surprised what records are kept by both borders. In 2013 we crossed from Maine into New Brunswick for a trip to Nova Scotia. At the border into Canada the agent even asked if she could give our dog a biscuit, very pleasant crossing, not unusual. While in Nova Scotia our seven year old Lab Mix got sick and died within three four hours with a very good and caring local Vet working on her. We were devastated. Stayed a bit and then decided to head home. We crossed back into Maine at a different crossing and the US border patrol agent asked if she could look into our AS for smuggled people, she did and while she and I were in their she stated "where is the dog you crossed into Canada with". I told her, she cried and apologized for delaying our trip and we moved on, but still surprised that one they kept a computer record of her crossing and two that the agent notice without asking a dog was missing.

As an aside we stayed in the Springfield, MA KOA and they too asked about our dog, I told the two young girls working behind the counter, they too cried and we were never charged for the stay.

Bud
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:12 AM   #29
Rivet Master

2020 27' Globetrotter
1999 25' Safari
Somewhere , Ohio
Thanks so much everyone for all the information and link, all will be very helpful!

Deb
Air Cruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:31 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Health insurance - Are you covered in Canada?
If you are old enough to have it, Medicare does not cover medical costs if you get sick or have an accident while you are in Canada.
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 10:55 AM   #31
3 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Comox , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
You'd be surprised what records are kept by both borders.
Canada and the USA share their data bases as to when you entered the country and leave the country, as well as licence plate numbers of the vehicle and trailer you are pulling. They may also include in the data base answers to any questions you may have been asked in regards to how many people with you & their passport numbers as well as animals. How long you plan to stay in either country and your travel plans. It will also include any mistakes you may have made in the past regarding goods you should not bring across the line. For example if you where found to be carrying a forbidden veggie on a crossing you can pretty well bet on the fact they will check your fridge on any subsequent visits. They also have access to any criminal record you may have.

BTW a DUI is considered a criminal offence in Canada so do not be surprised if you are turned away at the Canadian border due to having committed such and offence in the US. The later happens a lot at the Canadian border.

Big brother on both sides of the border know all!

Here is the link to the Government of Canada's webpage which gives the actual requirements for traveling with pets in regards to vaccinations and food.

Here is the link to the actual US requirements for a dog entering the USA via land.
Northerngirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 09:58 AM   #32
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We crossed from New Brunswick into Maine at the Calais border crossing early morning a few years ago. It was the only time our trailer was ever entered at the border. They confiscated several lemons from our refrigerator. We were unaware of the citrus restriction. The lemons actually came from NJ but how to prove such a thing. It may not have mattered anyhow. They were very nice and professional. Now regarding records, There may or may not have been a record made of this but on several subsequent crossings we have not been checked or even had it mentioned. Actually since it was pretty early in the AM I think they were having a cup of tea and needed some lemon. Good thing we ate the grapefruit for breakfast. All of our crossings have been efficient, pleasant and professional.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2016, 10:35 AM   #33
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
I've been back and forth between Canada and the US with and without our Airstream and encountered few problems. I have the added complication that I am traveling on a British passport so have to obtain a 3 month Visa Waiver card from the US authorities at the border. I've learned that it's much easier to take a day trip over to Detroit or Port Huron without the trailer a few days prior to making the same crossing with the Airstream. That way I'm concentrating on just the Visa Waiver and have an empty car for the border people to go through whilst I'm in the office filling out the paperwork. When I do cross again with the trailer, all my entry paperwork is up to date and the border staff can work on looking at the loaded trailer.

Heading into the US, sometimes the Airstream's been searched, sometimes not. We have made it our policy to carry no food at all, not even lunch, when we cross. Food seems to be the big issue and, as we have found out, there are plenty of stores and restaurants in the US that sell food (strangely!), so we simply reduce the risk to zero. The guard commented last time when he went through the empty fridge and freezer. We make a Walmart or some such our first call when in the US.

Coming back into Canada we've never been searched, car or trailer. The CBSA are often concerned about the ownership of the trailer, fearing I think that we may have bought it in the US and might be importing it into Canada. The Ontario plates and ownership papers have been checked, though, and we've passed through with no trouble.

The respective countries' record keeping is interesting, though. I was roundly chewed out by the border guard last time I crossed over to the US because I'd let a Visa Waiver get out of date without returning the little card they give you. All manner of threats were issued but, when I went into the office to sort out a new Visa Waiver, they were fine. I think the theory is that I could have over-stayed in the US but, when the clerk checked the computer, my movements across the border were all there on the screen and they could see that I'd been in Canada all along. A new Waiver card was issued but needless to say, I handed that card back when we returned to Canada!

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote