Old 05-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #533
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Hanged the wrong men

Some times out west they hanged the wrong men.
One famous Arizona pioneer grave site is the Scott,Stott and Wilson site.They were hanged during the Pleasant Valley War. About a quarter mile off the Rim road up hangmans trail is their cemetery.The story is a muddied one.In a clearing lie three graves side by side,simple stone markers commemorate the grisly event of Aug.12 1888 when three young cowboys were hanged.Their innocence is not as certain as that might imply.It does not seem likely that Jame Stott was actually a horse thief.One of the horses had a brand that was easy to confuse with others and someone stole that horse from Stott.Believing he know who stole it Scott and his friend Tom Tucker rode to Tonto Basin to recover the horse.It was a month later when deputy sheriff James Houck arrested Stott and Tucker on a charge of horse thieving.
Houck was deeply involved in the Pleasant Valley War a Tewksbury partisant who had already killed Tom Graham and others.He saw Stott as a Graham partisan and trumped up a horse stealing charge to arrest the cowboys.A Globe JP ruled that there was not enough evidence and released the men.For someone of Houck's violent temperament this was enough to put Stott on on his black list.he publicaly boastest he would run his sheep on Stott's cattle ranch one day.
Another cowboy Houck had a grudge with was Jimmy Scott.Like Stott Scott had stood up to Houck.The stage was set for a showdown.
On Aug.5 1888 three men ambushed and shot at Jack Lauffer the original owner of James Stott's stolen horse.Houck seized on this to accuse Stott,Scott and Wilson.On Aug.12 Houck and two others rode to Stott's cabin and claimed they had a warrant for his arrest,though they could not produce it.Hard on Houck's trail were 20 other armed men who arrived on the scene with Scott as their prisoner.
The riders then took Stott,Scott and Wilson as prisoners about 20 miles along the old Crook trail to its junction with the trail to Pleasant Valley.There they lynched the three men,hanging them from a large pine tree.Alfred Ingram who lved in a cabin near Scott's made his way 60 miles to Holbrook to report the abduction.That same day Aug.13 Houck rode into Holbrook to broadcast the lie that while he had arrested Stott and Wilson at Aztec Spring,40 armed men had taken them from him at gunpoint.
It was Aug 15th when a posse drove a wagon from Holbrook to the site of the hanging
Nov. 2008 Lee Hanchett jr researched the cemetery containing the three headstones verifide Scott's remains are under the headstone marked Scott,Wilson is actually under the headstone marked Stott and there is no one under Wilson headstone.What happend to the grave of James Stott?Extensive reseach led to Stott canyon approx.3/4 mile west there in the fallen timber the lone grave of James Stott was found ,only a pile of rocks outline the grave.At this time no logical explanation as to why Stott was buried in a separate grave.

jimmini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 01:52 PM   #534
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
The end

THE END OF THE PLEASANT VALLEY WAR.
In 1892 Tom Graham the last of the Graham faction involved in the Pleasant Valley war was murderded in Tempe.Edwin Tewksbury the last of that faction in the fued was accused of the murder.Defended by well-known Arizona attorney Thomas Fitch the first triall ended in a mistrial due to a legal technicality.The jury in the second trial dead-locked seven to five for acquittal.Edwin Tewksbury died in Globe in April 1904.By the time of his release none of the Grahams remained to retaliate against him,nor was there anyone on the Tewksbury side to have avenged his death had anyone killed him.
Photos of Pleasant Valley near Young in the Tonto Basin.

THE PLEASANT VALLEY WAR MADE A ORDINARY FIGHT LOOK LIKE A PRAYER MEETIN.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	youngoldhouse.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	91.5 KB
ID:	129372   Click image for larger version

Name:	youngoldbarn.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	58.1 KB
ID:	129373  

Click image for larger version

Name:	young old trackter.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	129374  

Old 05-08-2011, 09:38 PM   #535
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Off line

for me I will be off line for a few days.My computer is giving me hell and going to the shop.
But I guess that good luck for you folks since I will not be posting.
A COWBOY NEVER BETRAYS A TRUST.
Old 05-14-2011, 10:07 PM   #536
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Back?

Back with a use computer that was given to me.
It as been slow the last 2 weeks, we had a host lunch and 4 hour meeting a while back to get us back into being nice to folks.
AS GOOD HOST I am,
FRIENDLY
POSITVE
COUTEOUS
HELPFUL
AVAILABLE
DECISIVE
USE COMMON SENSE
A GOOD LISTENER
PATIENT
WILLING TO SERVE
SINCERE
HOSPITABLE
A PEOPLE PERSON
AND I AM GOING TO KEEP MY SENCE OF HUMOR
HAVE A NICE DAY
IF I CAN DO IT ANYONE CAN.
Old 05-15-2011, 10:11 AM   #537
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
Jim,
The above attributes pale in the comparison to a bloody mary...don't squat with yer spurs on, and keep Will alive...m
We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #538
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Leo the lion crashes in tonto basin

MGM's Leo the lion attempts to fly coast to coast.Crashes in Hells Gate wilderness in the Tonto Basin.Lives to roar again,thanks to the cowboys that rescued him.
Gruff,cigar chomping movie mogul Louis B Mayer was complaining that things were slow at MGM in 1927.American's passion for movies was being overtaken by flying.Charles Lindbergh had popularized it with his nonstop Atlantic flight.So let's fly Leo coast to coast nonstop was suggested by MGM's publicity director.
So 350 pound Leo was placed in a 400 pound steel and glass cage inside of a Ryan Brougham monoplane.Barnstormer pilot Martin Jensen at the controls and the 220 horse power engine revved the plane wobbled off an airstrip near San Diego on 16 Sept. 1927.Jensen refueled at Phoenix and negotiated the pass in the Mazatzal Mountains.BUT near the narrowing end of Hells Gate Canyon,he realized no way did he have the power to climb over the Mogollon Rim ahead.So 15 miles east of Payson,with no room to turn around he stalled the plane into a grove of Oak trees.Jensen got a cut over his eye.Leo and the cage where unhurt and in intact.
Jensen walked almost three days southwest down Tonto Creek before running into George Booth near Gisela.When word got out about the rescue of Leo the nation's full attention was focused on Leo.
People and equipment was mustered at Kohl's Ranch before trucking into Bear Flat.A 15 man party of mostly cowboys went by horseback to the crash site.There they found Leo hungry and thirsty but strong enough to be moved.He and his cage where loaded onto a makeshift travois and with a skittish team of mules dragged the travois 12 miles to the road at Bear Flat where Leo and the cage where loaded onto a truck and driven to Payson.Leo went home but he never flew again.
NOW ain't that a nice John Deer green tale?
Old 05-19-2011, 11:46 AM   #539
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Got snow?

We do,about 2" fell last night.
The weather has not been the best this May.We have had a lot of wind this year.
But the weather man said it going to get better next week,SURE when are they right.
Todays short tail:Just a few miles west of us on the Rim Road is the grave of G D Bantz.His story is on the 6th of Oct 1895 Bantz who was a trapper was going down to the Tonto Basin with his pack burros and to move them along,he would punch them with the butt of his shotgun while he held the muzzleNOT a good idea.The gun went BANG hitting him in the stomach.The burros made their way down the trail and were found below the Rim by a cowboy named Louis Pyle.He came back up the trail found Bantz body and buried him in a raised grave because of the rocky ground.
Now ain't that's the cowboy way.
Old 05-20-2011, 04:29 AM   #540
Two Canadian Vagabonds

1985 29' Sovereign
Bancroft , Ontario
Hi Jimmini;

We've had nothing but rain since getting home. Haven't been able to do much more than cut and clear trees. Blackflies are out and once they're done the deer flies arrive. By then the mosquitoes don't seem so bad. Even with all the complaints, we are glad to be home.
Hope you have lots of propane. Stay warm.
Art
WBCCI#3199
2004 GMC Sierra, Duramax Diesel, Allison Transmission
Canadiankids is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:01 AM   #541

26 square stream

Jim

Some folks in our park bought a 26' squarestream for short trips. Greg did some work on the cushions and drapes. When i get a chance I will send you a pic. Returning to Ponderosa Shadows on Monday.

Steve & Faith
Old 05-21-2011, 07:48 AM   #542
4 Rivet Member

2005 25' International CCD
1960 18' "Footer"
1959 26' Overlander
Riverside , California
Gail and I stayed in Quartzsite Wednesday night in the FCU area. Originally thought about staying the night on the Rim with Jim but couldn't leave Riverside until 2:30 in the afternoon. There was another RV down near the sign at the turn-in but no one else. We had intended to cut up through Showlow and head east to camp Thursday but US60 was closed 40 miles north/east of Globe for an accident. We ended up heading south on on 70 and then east on 191. What a great road with good views; kind of like the road past Jerome but no traffic. We ended up in a BLM campground in Datil, NM. 33 degrees at 6AM. Friday we drove northeast on US60 and then US54 through Texas and into OK to camp in a 6 space RV park in Hooker, OK; yes Gail wanted me to make it to a Hooker or something! Temperature was 41.Today we are headed to my sister's place in Smithville MO, about 470 miles.

What do you want to be in life, a spectator or a participant?

SNU #157
FCU #004
Motoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 10:12 AM   #543
3 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Livingston , Texas
Hay, were back. After hundreds of dollars and a new Wilson super amp. we have internet and phone service in our airstream. We had 5 inches of snow last week. All gone now but it was cold. Were only 3 miles from Jimmy so we get to see each other often. Well i've got about 500 e-mails to check. Hope to see you soon...Mike
Old 05-24-2011, 02:00 PM   #544
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Work

Well good to see folks out and about.They where here this passe week end.Was almost full Fri. and Sat.night so it was just getting me ready for this LONG weekend.Sure is hard work.
The weather is getting better so the weather person is saying.
West of our campground is the tunnel to nowhere.The tough nut to crack:the Mogollon Rim.
BUT in 1883 the Arizona Mineral Belt Railroad gave it a try.Capital was raised and engineers advanced a plan.A bore of 3,100 feet,16 feet wide and 20 feet high would take advantage of a natural notch in the Rim north of Payson.The anticipated destination was General SpringsCanyon atop the Rim.A crew of 40 began work in August 1883,in little over more than a month the drillers made 70 feet of tunnel.Then like most big dreams money ran out and the work stopped.Over the next decade an agony of refinancing,tracklaying,backstabbing and suing plagued the project.The grand concpt finally was abandoned.You can hike to the tunnel by going to the Battle of Big Dry Wash monument on the Rim road.Start at the small trailhead sign on the south side of the road.
Good judgment comes from experience,and a lot of that comes from bad judgment
Old 06-01-2011, 02:30 PM   #545
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
Zane grey

Life is slow in the woods and so is my computer.BUT I Will try.
"My beloved Arizona" was the term of endearment Zane Grey (1872-1939) bestowed upon this state.Zane Grey was the father of the western novel.He wrote 57 westerns,more than 200 short stores,10 nonfiction westerns.His books spawned more than 130 movies and at one time only the Bible and McGuffey's Reade could outsell Zane Grey.His "The Rider of the Purple Sage"is considered a western classic.
Zane Grey had two cabins in Arizona.One was on the upper end of Tonto creek below the Rim but on June 27,1990 it was destroyed by the Dude Fire.Zane Grey chose to spend much of his time in the early 20th century here, this was his base to hunt bear,lion,and deer.This area inspired Grey to write "Under the Tonto Rim",To the Last Man" and "Code of the West".
Another one of Zane Grey's famous cabins-where he wrote "The Heritage of the Desert" is above the north side of the Colorado River,below Lake Powel,under the Vermillion Cliffs.
Zane Gray's love afair with Arizona ended in 1929 when he came to Arizona with an entourage from Hollywood to film a documenter about bear hunting.He had missed bear season and the officals would not bend the rules for him.He left in a huff and said he'd never return and he never did.
Like the heroes of Grey's novels ,a group of wester aficionados banded together and built a historic replica of the cabin in Payson it was completed in 2006
NO one is listening until you fart
Old 06-02-2011, 02:51 AM   #546
Rivet Master

1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Silverton , Colorado
DID YA' HEAR THAT...???!!! Ah, well, diet DOES direct velocity as much as chambered stricture...m

We live for the moment, 'cause when you get there, it's gone...
ScrapIrony-2 is offline   Reply With Quote