Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-28-2004, 04:11 PM   #1
Rivet Master

Boondocking in Missouri

Ok, so it isn't exactly "On the Road"; but the experience is the same.

While building on our land here in southwest Mo., I have been living in our '85 Sovereign 25'. No utilities, no sewer. So not only is this my longest extended period in the Airstream, it is my first try at boonedocking.

Here are some observations, most of which would be applicable to a new Classic 25', as the floorplan and size is largely unchanged:

The large, top hinged windows provide marvelous cross ventilation. Without those and the Fantastic Fan I could not have made it through a few incredibly humid, hot nights.

It continues to amaze me how livable the space is. Living room, kitchen, bathroom, bedroom. Ok, so bathROOM is stretching it. Bath closet, maybe. Even so, it works quite well; especially the shower. I am about ready to take out the headache inducing, largely useless overhead cabinet, though. I note it is no longer used in the newest coaches. I do like the window, though, which is no longer available.

Storage space is beyond belief. And everything is easily to hand. The roll out pantry is a real convenience for full time living.

Those gas refrigerators don't use much gas, do they? Amazing.

Cell phone reception inside is terrific, which surprises me.

I can heat water just once a day, shut off the heater, shower (two showers when my wife stays over), and still have hot water to do the day's dishes.

RidX works great in the black tank. No odors at all, and the tank has been filling for 10 days.

If I can't cook it on the grill or over the gas cooktop on my cast iron pan, I don't need to eat it. NOTE: I have seriously modified my galley area which, in my opinion is about useless in stock configuration. See my photos.

The generator will keep the batteries charged on about 90 minutes a day runtime.

While not a place to ride out a major storm, the Airstream seems exceptionally stable in our summer thunderstorms. I am guessing the same aerodynamics which aid us on the road work in our favor during windy conditions as well.

Problems: Very few. I could use a vestibule in some form as I am parked on a forest floor and tracking-in is a nuisance. And I need several pairs of shoes and boots, all of which tend to be dirty. Where do you put them?

Final observation: In the summer in Missouri, shade is your friend.

Mark
j54mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 04:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Airstream - Other
Airstream - Other
North Central Texas , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
Ok, so it isn't exactly "On the Road"; but the experience is the same.
RidX works great in the black tank. No odors at all, and the tank has been filling for 10 days.

Mark
We are recently retired and have spent weeks at a time in our 25' Safari with similar accolades for it's 'use-flow' with the 2 of us. I leave wet boots & shoes in the back of my aluminum (Mountain Top (r)) tonneau-covered pick-up, it's not airtight.
About the RidX: How long have you been using it? Is it an enzymatic action solution?? Safe for the tanks??
RivetED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 06:57 PM   #3
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed & Debbie
About the RidX: How long have you been using it? Is it an enzymatic action solution?? Safe for the tanks??
RidX is an enzyme. I've always used it when we are set up for more than a couple of days. It is pointless to use for a weekend as it takes that long to get started.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed & Debbie
I leave wet boots & shoes in the back of my aluminum (Mountain Top (r)) tonneau-covered pick-up, it's not airtight.
But anything I wear from the truck to the coach will track. I could keep the extra pairs in the truck, though, that would help with floor space.

Mark
Old 08-28-2004, 07:17 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2021 27' Globetrotter
Saint Louis , Missouri
We bought an outdoor rug - 6'X9' - looks like astroturf - at Home Depot for about $25.

It really helps knocking the stuff off our shoes before entering the trailer.

Dennis
cosmotini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 08:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

LOST , Hawaii
Quote:
Originally Posted by j54mark
I could use a vestibule in some form as I am parked on a forest floor and tracking-in is a nuisance. And I need several pairs of shoes and boots, all of which tend to be dirty. Where do you put them?
Knock together a 4x4 or 4x6 deck out of some scrap wood. It will give you a place off the ground to scrub your boots off. If you make it big enough to put it back under the trailer you can leave them outside and out of the weather.

John
74Argosy24MH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 08:25 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Just a thought~

The others had some great thoughts on how to keep dirt out..
I go one step further in that, I keep a small trash can by the door and, when I step inside, will put my dirty shoes there. Same with wet shower flippers...
It's low tech but, works for me.
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2004, 10:18 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Good one, 53FC!!! That'll keep you from putting your foot in 4 inches of water in your well-isulated boot the following morning. Or worse yet, finding spider bites on your toes the next evening.
Old 08-29-2004, 01:27 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Almost the same as 53FC's idea. You could use a dish pan. One of those plactic jobs about 12" x 14" and 6" deep and just place your shoes in there and keep it by the door.

Somehow I don't think AS was designed to keep many pairs of shoes by the door. Maybe you could hang then in the magizine rack............

John G
System: Jordon 2020 Ultima Brake Controller
Hook-Up: Equalizing Hitch and Sway Bar
JohnG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 05:29 AM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Get a couple of old pallets and put a piece of astro turf over them for instant dirt trap/deck, plus it gets you up out of the mud. We keep a small plastic tub with a cover outside that slides under the AS to keep dirty shoes in. We use a similar system at home...white carpets

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2004, 06:47 AM   #10
Retired Moderator

1992 29' Excella
madison , Wisconsin
another idea,

since i have white carpet in the trailer, i use throw rugs and a boot tray inside just to the right of the door. cheapie from target, 3 or 4 bucks as i recall.

sure makes a big difference when i take the trailer deer hunting. hmmm, if i only had a rack for the rifles.......

john
Old 08-30-2004, 12:50 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Ok, got it, I think. White astro turf next to the rifle in the trash can under the dish pan.

Actually, some good suggestions there. I may be able to "liberate" a pallet, depending upon how well the drivers can count when they pick up the extra materials.

On a related note, the laminate flooring I installed was one of the best ideas I ever had.

Mark
Old 09-09-2004, 09:27 AM   #12
Rivet Master

Update:

I have been living the Airstream life for three weeks now, and my initial reactions have changed very little. The shear livability of the limited space available continues to amaze. Some observations.

- Laminate flooring is an absolute godsend.
- As time goes on I appreciate more and more the roominess of the shower.
- How do people survive in coaches with no bathroom counter space?
- Having to stoop to look out of windows gets older every day. The old Vista View windows gave you a chance to see out, at least until they clouded up.
- I knew I liked the Fantastic Fan, but did not know how much until I had to use it every day.

There is progress on the construction, and the utility company set a pole and meter yesterday. As soon as I can get some wiring in I will have electricity! Yahoo!!

Mark
Old 09-11-2004, 01:50 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Our Airstream's new home

Work progresses. I plugged in the trailer last night to real utility power, and I can now dump the tanks in the septic system!!!

Here is the new "home" for our Airstream. It will live under the shed roof to the left.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	barn1.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	8684  
Old 09-11-2004, 05:47 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Mark, this looks great! Ours just keeps giving us dirty looks, having to stand outside under the tree branches with all the weather and leaf litter coming down on her. Maybe one day we'll be able to do right by her with a shelter and septic! Is the building for a residence? Shop area? You are building a little slice of heaven down there, I think!
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2004, 10:01 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
Is the building for a residence? Shop area?
It is a shop/garage. However, we may move into it temporarily if we sell our house soon. It is plumbed and will be insulated, so it will not take much to make it habitable. The house site is about 75' to the left of the building.

Mark
Old 07-20-2008, 08:22 PM   #16
A girl and an Airstream

1993 29' Excella
dunnegan , Missouri
vestibule

If you need a simple approach, you could buy the concrete air conditioner pads that are 36 inch square for around $35 at Glenstone Block in Springfield. Or put several together to make a simple patio
missysanford is offline   Reply With Quote