Old 05-05-2005, 09:21 PM   #29
Commercial Member
1967 30' Sovereign
Los Lunas , New Mexico
Yeah, we carry a .45 (decommissioned military), but it's purpose is not to kill or even try to, but to make a bunch of noise. It's primary function is to scare off wild animals. (I had a meeting with a mountain lion once, and what I really needed to do was to make as much ugly noise as possible.)

My dad, still flying in the mountains and back country, carries a loaded 30-30 with him. Its function is pretty much the same: If he has to go down, he wants something that will make a terrific amount of noise. The more attention he can attract, the better, under those circumstances.

WBCCI 21043
eubank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:35 PM   #30
2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Originally Posted by driftwood
Take your guns to another Forum ... lets discuss our Airstreams!
Well, I could be wrong here, but the thread was started talking about hesitations of boondocking and about weapons and/or stories.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:44 PM   #31
Rivet Master
1969 31' Sovereign
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
I have a 357 mag but only "carry" the shotgun when camping for the very reason Roger stated above. I may be a good shot at the range but that dosen't hack it under duress and shaking in my boots and believe me if the situation requires you to pull a gun things are already way out of control and you will be scared and running on adrenalin.

May not hold much water but I also think with the various hand gun laws in most states a shotgun as a hunting weapon may be legal.

garry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 04:36 AM   #32
Remember Burma Shave!
2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , S.Florida
If you can't beat-um, join-um!

Ok, so I tried ... it's just that I go to this Forum for pleasure and the discussions of weapons and confrontations leave me somewhat uncomfortable.

The Vietnam conflict provided me with more than adequate training in weapons ... and since I travel with a champion hunting dog, I too carry a mini-arsenal.

Rarely will you find my Airstream without a vintage Belgium Browning semi-automatic and an old Model 12 pump on board, with more than a dozen boxes of shells.

The more precarious the campsite feels, the closer to my bed the Browning rests. Usually loaded with shot incrementally larger with each spent round.

Never had any problems entering and leaving the US, just a delay while the serial numbers are verified with the paperwork that was completed on the last entry/exit to our Country.

Fortunately, to this date, only used working the dog.
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 06:08 AM   #33
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member
2004 25' Safari
Prescott , Arizona
Send a message via AIM to gadgetat Send a message via Yahoo to gadgetat
Always been good

Our experiences boondocking have always been positive. We haven't really run into rowdies or troublemakers, but then again, when we boondock it is usually very far from major population centers.

People used to ask a similar question when we were on the Appalachian Trail. "Aren't you afraid of running into a bad person on the AT?" We never worried about that. Like the Airstream community, Thru-Hikers watch out for each other. You may think you're going to be alone on a long hike, but an hour ahead or behind you are more Thru-Hikers. We usually felt safer on the trail then when we hit a trail town for re-supply.

Just like the trail we've found that other campers always seem to look out for us, and we look out for them. Even when we're boondocking we've met great folks doing and enjoying the same activities we are . Plus, with a pair of 80 lb labs any night time visitors get a stern woof! 9 times out of 10 though the woof is directed at me coming back in after taking a walk without the pups.
Rich C.
WBCCI #2551 | blog
gadgetat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2005, 09:18 AM   #34
1 Rivet Member
A Place to Stay for A While

Speaking of Boondocking...

I need to rebuild my cash supply, so I'd like to stop renting, get myself an Argosy and live in it a while. Thereby getting a permanent payed-for roof over my head and a net positive cash flow. Just me, my wife and 1 kid.

1. Has anyone found a good way to lease/purchase a small plot of land and work out some sort of hookup arrangement for electricity, sewers etc? The area I'd like to live has tons of undeveloped land mostly for farms. Has anyone tried just talking to farmers about leasing a little plot?

2. I need to store essentials in a u-store-it, but I don't want to spend a whole lot on that. Has anyone looked at differnet deals on self-storage companies and found anything really good.

This is my plan for digging myself out of debt, and not back into it. So I'd like to find a well-maintained older Argosy and be done with it. I also know that when winter comes round again I have to be ready to either insulate my Motorhome or move south. Any experiences.

I'd really like to do this, but there are so many unknowns...

jburnes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2005, 10:29 PM   #35

1968 24' Tradewind
Louisville , earth
Send a message via Yahoo to Boondocker
Post my favorite side arm aside......

The most tragic and frightening experience I have had boondocking (who would have thought there was a special name for proper camping) was when I ran out of mixer for margaritas. I can see where pulling off near well traveled roads might get sketchy, however, most national forest and alot of BLM areas allow "dispersed camping" which are a whole other animial. Dispersed camping in these areas are fantastic (not to mention priced right) and you will meet all sorts of nice folks. As I approach 40, a marked desire for an airstream (20-26' for any potential donors ) over a tent, or my brothers popup increasingly impinges on my world. When I buy the last thing I will check is the electricity. My advice: get out and enjoy our land, and the less things you plug into where you camp the better off you will be.

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote