Old 05-05-2005, 08:28 AM   #15
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
That's the beauty of this weapon though...it's currently in .50cal form...however, if I buy a barrel and clip, it's then a .44.

If I want to spend a few extra bucks beyond the .44 conversion and get a bolt as well as a clip and a barrel, I can also convert this to a .357.

So in reality this gun can be 3 guns in one and can be changed on the fly. Matter of fact the .50 to .44 takes only a few seconds, though the .357 change might take a few minutes.

Though I will admit, the cost to go to all three cals is equal or greater than having 3 separate weapons.

Either way, it's not there to pull out to scare off someone, when it comes out, if it ever comes out, it won't be a decision that is taken lightly... be it on the road or in the home (always a defensive weapon). At any cal, it only takes on hit and it's all over, and something one has to live with since you can't take it back once that trigger has been pulled. Though I will admit, if all my range shooting with the .50 doesn't score a hit, the mere shockwave will knock any would be bad person to the ground. At the range the guy shooting with me said the shock wave this thing produces feels like a mule kicking you in the chest when you are off to the side of it...of course I couldn't get him to see if it was the same in front of it.

Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 09:50 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Deliverance anyone?

I can't help but wonder if the whole 'fear' of boondocking stems from the way Hollywood has portrayed the supposed dangers of camping and being in the bush. (ie: Deliverance, Friday the 13th. etc.) They are just playing on the fears of a primarily urbanized population. Truth is you've got a far better chance of being the victem of violent crime the closer you are to other people be it in a city, suburb or campground. I'd worry more about getting rolled in the Walmart parking lot or the Interstate rest area than out in the bush. Unless you plan on carrying concealed all the time (which could create more problems than it solves), a safely-stored small caliber long gun (.22 semiauto rifle) would be a far more sensible choice for boondocking tool. At that it's unlikely you'll ever get it out for anything other than recreational use. P.

Old 05-05-2005, 12:16 PM   #17
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
I don't think for a second that there are great fears out there about boondocking. I for one only carry my gun with me just cause I have one, if I didn't already have a gun, I prob wouldn't be looking to get one to bring since we've never had any issues. Now that I have one, it gives me added comfort that I have something for the "just in case" type senario.

That said, some places have some fairly large wildlife, bears, etc. A .22 would be similar to shooting a BB gun at it and storing a rifle in a average RV isn't as easy as securing a small firearm (handgun) IMHO. A 9mm is a very good weapon to have. Small, powerful, accurate, can hold dozens of rounds in a clip (thanks to the assault ban law not being renewed), and is fairly inexpensive. I'd be the first to admit what I have is WAY overkill, unless of course I was on an African Safari Rally, but you work with what you have and in my case it's the Mark XIX platform from Magnum Research.
Computers manufactured by companies such as IBM, Compaq and millions of others are by far the most popular with about 70 million machines in use worldwide. Macintosh fans note that cockroaches are far more numerous than humans and that numbers alone do not denote a higher life form. -NY Times 11/91
Old 05-05-2005, 01:49 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Battle Ground , Washington
My wife has a gun permit and carries one with her on camping trips. We also take the dogs. Shelby is a golden/chow mix a good guard dog. We have never had any problems camping in 30 years in the Pacific Northwest. We haven't done Walmart yet.
Chuck
WBCCI#7854
Old 05-05-2005, 02:10 PM   #19
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
If we've ever had a "boondocking nightmare" it was when someone else showed up in a spot we formerly had all to ourselves ...

Don't sweat it. Boondocking is great and you're less likely to encounter a problem than you are in a crowded KOA, in my experience.

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 03:02 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

I'm a little surprised that over 1/2 of respondents carry a weapon.

I have never had one and not had the urge or need.

But then I stay away from 'high risk' areas. I do feel that when you are really away from it all that it probably makes sense to have something to scare away the potential bad guy.

At some point I may invest in something inexpensive such as the 9mm that Eric mentions. Any brand to recommend (or stay away from)?

Thanks
Steve
Old 05-05-2005, 03:13 PM   #21
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1975 27' Overlander
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Ruger makes a good 9mm.
Air #2757
1989 SquareStream (Annie #8)
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 03:28 PM   #22
Craftsman

I like the CZ P0-1. www.cz-usa.com Luger handguns if the link doesn't work.
Old 05-05-2005, 03:33 PM   #23
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Ditton on the Ruger....I think that if I were in the market for another good weapon, I might look at the Glock 10mm. I think that's what the Secret Service uses....maybe the FBI or some gov .org.

http://www.glock.com/g20.htm
Old 05-05-2005, 05:31 PM   #24
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I think the Feds use the .40 S&W round in their Glocks and MP-5s. The 10mm is still around, but isn't as popular as the .40. The .40 also has substantially more stopping power than a 9mm. The Kahr K-40 is a great semi-auto and is double-action only (very safe). Paired with 185 gr. Hyda-Shocks loads, you have a excellent weapon.

Also, many people are partial to the .45. S&W, Kimber and Para-ordanance have several .45 semi-autos in different sizes and finishes. The 230 gr. Hyda-Shock has a proven man-stopping rating above 95%.
2004 22' CCD
1997 F-150
TAC VA-12
AIR# 4749
ex WBCCI# 1430
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 06:55 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
Send a message via Skype™ to GT1963
It is a sad sad sad day when guns and camping are muttered in the same sentence.
Old 05-05-2005, 07:14 PM   #26
Remember Burma Shave!

2006 19' Safari
2000 25' Safari
1985 25' Sovereign
Fort Myers , SW.Florida
Agreed

Take your guns to another Forum ... lets discuss our Airstreams!
NORM #3305

"... there is nothing you can't fix yourself ...
... if you're handy ...
... with a check book! ..."
driftwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2005, 07:53 PM   #27
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
Steve, I'll give you my two cents worth... probably ALL it's worth... I've carried a gun every day (actually two guns) for nearly thirty years as part of my job. First, I won't recommend that anyone carry a gun for 'protection' unless you are completely prepared mentally and physically to kill another human being. You don't carry them to scare folks, or to 'wing' 'em. You carry and use a gun to stop them from doing whatever it is you need to shoot them for. You shoot center of mass, and you don't stop shooting until they stop doing whatever it is they're supposed to stop doing.

With that proviso, there is no point in carrying a gun that WON'T stop someone on the first or second shot. The .45 ACP, beloved by generations of U.S. military folks in the 1911A1 Colt (and variants) has a hundred year history of 99% one-shot stops.

Handguns are difficult to be proficient with, and frankly, aren't very intimidating. Most folks who are intent in doing harm are more intimidated by an axe handle or shovel than a handgun, for a couple of reasons. We've all been whacked by something at one time or another and know that it hurts. Few of us can imagine being shot. Unless you're exceptionally comfortable with handling a handgun, clearing a misfire (jam), combat loading, and holstering a handgun I just can't recommend one for the average person.

The most versatile and easiest to use 'defense' weapon out there is the 12 gauge pump shotgun with an 18" or 20" barrel and full stock. There is no sound in the world like the action of a pump shotgun being racked. It has a variety of loads available, including #4 buck, 00 buck and slugs for combat, and lighter #7 or #8 loads for sporting potential. They're easy and intuitive to operate. Best of all, they're intimidating offensive weapons.

I can tell story after story of cops trying to take hardcore crooks down at gunpoint with handguns and being taunted by the crooks until someone showed up with a 12ga. Game, set, match. The incident is over. Folks understand that they'll probably not walk away from a shotgun wound.

So, the moral is don't carry or display a firearm unless you're fully prepared to shoot someone. If you display a firearm, use a gun that will produce a one-shot stop. Having to shoot a crook repeatedly will eventually produce the desired result, but perhaps not until they have the opportunity to hurt you severely. Last, practice, practice, practice. Things happen quickly in a gunfight, and you don't have time to reason out your response. You will respond the way you train to respond.

Packing a gun into the boonies is a reasonable and proper thing to do. I have never camped without one. Just make sure you've properly prepared yourself if you do it.

Roger
Old 05-05-2005, 08:01 PM   #28
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
chicagoland , north of cheddar curtain
amen roger....nuff said.
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote