Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 02:37 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
Its starting to get outta hand...c'mon, folks...lets focus on our common interest, which is enjoying this God-given earth with our ASs. Lets stop this and re-focus on this year's travel plans, maintenance issues, and especially which TV is the better and should I upgrade to 16" Sentels. xoxoxo jon
One thing I've learned after years on the forums is we are divided politically, but it never has hindered the the fun at rally's and gettogethers. I have breakfast once a week with two people totally opposite of me politically, never an argument, we are best of friends. Good camping.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:38 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I do think that the Fed. Gov't could get around to us, but not likely. I do believe the anti cow and enviromentalist are going to far with regulation. There are fast tracks of land that we can boondock in with out hurting any one or any thing, we need to try and keep that right.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:49 PM   #43
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
And for those of us who don't believe anything is "God-given"?

Just go do whatever it is that you do.

(An innocent statement responded to provocatively, I must say.)

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

Blessed and highly favored
Old 01-11-2016, 02:55 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulnGina View Post
Just go do whatever it is that you do.

(An innocent statement responded to provocatively, I must say.)
I will. And no, not intentionally provocative. Merely a question.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:05 PM   #45
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Remind me of all the rights stated in the bible please.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:12 PM   #46
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Cameront and Bold Adventure
I'm thinking of buying a new TV this year, and am thinking of either Toyota, Ford, GM, or Dodge. Could you please advise me on all the pros and cons for each model? After that, I'm thinking of upgrading to new tires...LT or LS?

After we exhaust all this we should have gotten all of our minds off the bible and federal government stuff, so lets get back to AS issues. We are not going to change each other's minds or beliefs, we're just venting our various positions, and it may cause rifts that may be hard to repair. jon
Old 01-11-2016, 03:30 PM   #47
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
Old 01-11-2016, 03:34 PM   #48
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
Cameront and Bold Adventure
I'm thinking of buying a new TV this year, and am thinking of either Toyota, Ford, GM, or Dodge. Could you please advise me on all the pros and cons for each model? After that, I'm thinking of upgrading to new tires...LT or LS?

After we exhaust all this we should have gotten all of our minds off the bible and federal government stuff, so lets get back to AS issues. We are not going to change each other's minds or beliefs, we're just venting our various positions, and it may cause rifts that may be hard to repair. jon
Or focus on the original topic about armed anti government thugs taking over an office building where honest people are doing their best to do their jobs for the benefit of all citizens of our country. If anyone can get enough votes for their point of view they can change government policy. That is how our system works. Not armed threats.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:35 PM   #49
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
formerly of Tustin, Huntington Beach, Dana Point, and Laguna Beach , California
I think as long as people are civil here, then this topic is most certainly of value here on this forum. Without BLM and National Forest roads and land, my wife and I would be paying top dollar in RV parks, something we could not afford as fulltimers. One of the great attractions of owning a RV or Airstream is the possibility of living in the outdoors without rent or fee. Maybe most minds may not be changed but at least both sides of the argument can be read with calm and reason.

I remember an old(er) timer warned us before setting out last spring that it may be difficult to find camping locations that are free and secluded. Fortunately we found that not to be the case...yet. People can opine that the wisdom of state elected officials may be better than those federal but for right now, I find the ability to boondock is still quite plentiful in the West, and that conclusion is based on observation and practice. I am always wary of unintended consequences. Be careful what you wish for.

But I also agree that a campfire gathering puts all differences aside.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:36 PM   #50
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Amen.
Dismissive cat
Old 01-11-2016, 03:38 PM   #51
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
Bend , Oregon
I have never camped on BLM land, what would be a good beginners guide? sorry if this is not the right thread to ask.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:39 PM   #52
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I enjoy your posts but I don't think this thread is stupid. Domestic anti-government terrorism is a very real threat to our free society. IMHO.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:49 PM   #53
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gsmblue View Post
I have never camped on BLM land, what would be a good beginners guide? sorry if this is not the right thread to ask.
We usually looked on the internet for a BLM office in the area we were about to visit to purchase inexpensive BLM maps. They are color coded and clearly show areas where one can camp for free. The BLM staff usually can tell you whether or not certain BLM roads have cut outs or turnarounds, or if you need to scout with just your truck first. We did the same with National Forest ranger stations.

The road cuts and turnarounds you are allowed to camp at usually have established campfire rings (a circle of rocks); you can tell where other vehicles have backed in. The BLM and National Forest offices can also tell you of any particular restrictions in effect at that time; last year during the forest fires in the western states, we were informed that campfires were not allowed - no big deal for us in a trailer. Again, the BLM and National Forest maps are pretty good value for the money and often quite accurate.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:57 PM   #54
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0557 View Post
None of us are Ranchers on this forum, so giving an opinion is null and void,
Actually, no. It is public land owned by all of us so everyone's opinion matters.

Historically the land is much better managed and available for a variety of uses under federal ownership. The ranchers are a good example. They lease grazing rights on federal land for a fraction of what it would cost if it was private land.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:35 PM   #55
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Oh, one more observation as to why this topic is relevant with us AS owners and travelers. As a camp host in Snow Canyon, I've had the opportunity to meet many Europeans over the past year. The overwhelming consistent belief of the Europeans is that we Americans enjoy the great benefit of access to open space, and that right should not be taken for granted nor removed. I think President Teddy Roosevelt was very much a forward-thinking man and believed in the great worth of experiencing the outdoors. My recently acquired hero, Ed Abbey, had great disdain for the National Park Service but I think even he would settle for the gray area of federal oversight than the possible handing over of open land to private interests.

The wife and I are big fans of the Downton Abbey series. (I know, not exactly the outdoorsy fare but I don't feel comfortable watching zombie or serial killer movies at night while boondocking out in the middle of nowhere!) We marvel at the green rolling hills and absolutely breathtaking countryside. Having never been to England, I can only assume that much of that kind of land is owned privately and has been for generations. Maybe I'm mistaken and there's a lot of land to boondock in European countries. We'll stick to the West.
Old 01-11-2016, 04:57 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Ramblings like this take away from the purpose of the AIRSTREAM forum. Yawn.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:05 PM   #57
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by banderabob View Post
Ramblings like this take away from the purpose of the AIRSTREAM forum. Yawn.
How so? It seems to be within the defined scope of a forum (bold mine):

Full Definition of forum
plural forums also fo·ra play \-ə\
a : the marketplace or public place of an ancient Roman city forming the center of judicial and public business
b : a public meeting place for open discussion
c : a medium (as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas
Old 01-11-2016, 05:14 PM   #58
Full Time Adventurer

Nomadic , USA
I could really go for some Firehouse subs right now.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:21 PM   #59
1987 Avion 34W owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Good Ol' , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
I could really go for some Firehouse subs right now.

Their brisket sub is my favorite!!!

PaulnGina
1987 Avion 34W
1995 Ford F250 7.3L PowerStroke

Blessed and highly favored
Old 01-12-2016, 04:50 PM   #60
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
OK - folks we have closed this thread because despite the thread title it's mostly a political discussion in nature and not really Airstream or even boondocking related. Our site rules are pretty clear about this issue.

Political discussion here is allowed only within a very narrow scope - directly related to Airstreams. You can read about that here: http://www.airforums.com/forums/misc...ork&page=rules

We are an extremely diverse community with widely held opinions on many things. There are many excellent places on the internet to discuss politics, religion and other non-Airstream topics, but here, at this board, the thing we share in common is Airstreams - let's focus on that please.

Thanks for understanding.

AirForums Custom Search
Closed Thread