Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2016, 01:59 PM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Huntley , Montana
I agree with the one commenter who stated that this is probably the wrong forum to post our views about something as political as the Bundy situation and the armed occupancy of the federal buildings in Oregon. However, having said that, I also agree with most of the other commenters in that federal lands should remain under federal management. At the last legislature in Montana, a proposal was put forward to transfer federal lands to the state of Montana. There are several things wrong with that. For one, like others have said, the federal land belongs to all Americans and not just the citizens of Montana. Secondly, the state of Montana, like a lot of western states, does not have the resources to effectively manage all of the federal lands in the state that are currently under federal ownership. There is also a concern that once the land is transferred to the state, those lands could then be sold to private ownership, be it to individuals or corporations. This should be a concern for all who like to recreate on federal lands. As for the land transfer proposal in the last Montana legislature, fortunately it was defeated although I suspect that this issue will rise again someday.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:00 PM   #30
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
It is puzzling to me that so many folks seem to think that a state government official is inherently more honest, stable and generally a better leader than a federal official. This certainly has not been my experience.

Old 01-11-2016, 02:08 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Gentlemen-

While I initially felt the same way as several here--this is not a forum for political expression--I want to commend everyone who has participated in the political discussion for keeping it civil in an attempt to actually state or illuminate a point of view, instead of just to argue/fight/call names.

It is an issue that affects certain among us more than others, and it is certainly an Airstream related issue to that extent.

And one more thing--as someone suggested, by all means try to read "Cadillac Desert" if you have not done so. Although it is not particularly well written (very repetitive), it does cover the history of the settlement and development of "the West" (that is, everything West of Ohio!) and the issues surrounding bad research/thinking leading to well-inentioned but ultimately bad policy, including the intent of the TVA and dam construction further West. With the drought likely to intensify over the next few decades throughout the West, an understanding of how we got here may prove helpful to some of us as we think through local/state/federal proposals upon which we may be able to have a voice.

Again, thanks for keeping it all civil and informative.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:17 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
1973 27' Overlander
1977 23' Safari
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
Quote:
Originally Posted by NWRVR View Post
The federal government currently owns over 30% of this country and has surveyed less than 10%. They don't even know what they have yet recently requested funding to acquire more land....
What do you mean by surveyed? I look at the USGS 1:24,000 maps and it appears that someone has a pretty good idea of what is where. Maybe not to the inch for platting new building sites (heaven forbid), but good enough for recreating on the land.

Requested more funding for resolving small issues with access or to meet local objectives, or some million acre purchase? Federal, state, and private land is exchanged frequently to resolve local issues. Take a look at land exchanges around Las Vegas in the last 30 years. Sometimes it benefits the feds, but most often it benefits municipalities and even private citizens.

Zep
Old 01-11-2016, 02:43 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

1966 24' Tradewind
2005 22' Safari
Bastrop , Texas
state control will result in huge fees , restricted access , and ultimately the land being sold to corrupt cronies who will "develop" it , LOL , for a larger tax base for the state to squander .
Old 01-11-2016, 02:52 PM   #34
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Your opinion,not substantiated by fact.
Old 01-11-2016, 02:56 PM   #35
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by D Greene View Post
It is puzzling to me that so many folks seem to think that a state government official is inherently more honest, stable and generally a better leader than a federal official. This certainly has not been my experience.
Might be true but it is easier to change state officials and staff than federal.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:15 PM   #36
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Pineola , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Might be true but it is easier to change state officials and staff than federal.
As you said earlier, "your opinion not substantiated fact". Federal folks are put in office by the state voters same as state folks.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:16 PM   #37
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Your opinion,not substantiated by fact.
You keep disputing peoples comments without offering anything in return. What are the facts?
Old 01-11-2016, 03:24 PM   #38
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Red face

Its starting to get outta hand...c'mon, folks...lets focus on our common interest, which is enjoying this God-given earth with our ASs. Lets stop this and re-focus on this year's travel plans, maintenance issues, and especially which TV is the better and should I upgrade to 16" Sentels. xoxoxo jon
Old 01-11-2016, 03:27 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
And for those of us who don't believe anything is "God-given"?
Old 01-11-2016, 03:33 PM   #40
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by cameront120 View Post
You keep disputing peoples comments without offering anything in return. What are the facts?
See posts number 4,13,20. Just as much fact there as others comments.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:37 PM   #41
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Somewhere
Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
Its starting to get outta hand...c'mon, folks...lets focus on our common interest, which is enjoying this God-given earth with our ASs. Lets stop this and re-focus on this year's travel plans, maintenance issues, and especially which TV is the better and should I upgrade to 16" Sentels. xoxoxo jon
One thing I've learned after years on the forums is we are divided politically, but it never has hindered the the fun at rally's and gettogethers. I have breakfast once a week with two people totally opposite of me politically, never an argument, we are best of friends. Good camping.
Old 01-11-2016, 03:38 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
I do think that the Fed. Gov't could get around to us, but not likely. I do believe the anti cow and enviromentalist are going to far with regulation. There are fast tracks of land that we can boondock in with out hurting any one or any thing, we need to try and keep that right.