Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2009, 10:33 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Bob, Lee, and Dusty's Random Trips

Hi, we are now on our random trip. We will just go to places without any real planning. Lee wants to go visit the Grand Tetons and Yellowstone. I'm concerned that the bears might tear my trailer open and eat my lunch. While on our way to Utah, while driving through Las Vegas, Nevada, suddenly there were pieces of trailer tire all over the road and it was only 100 degrees at that time. Fortunately for us the tire was off of someones SOB, not our trailer. We left Lakewood, Ca. this morning and stopped a Wal-Mart in St. George, Utah. I saw a sign in the parking lot that said "No overnight parking" so we drove to Cedar City, Utah. We are at Cedar City KOA. This is a very nice, well above average KOA. We have a great space with full hook -ups, free Wifi, and cable. The sewer hook-ups are lower than the trailer, good for Airstreams. And for those of you out there with those rare front bedroom models, this place has front and rear sewer hook-ups. I heard [read] some of you complained about that. I don't know when and where we will have Wifi, so updates on our trip might be random. I am using my wife's lap top and I don' t have the ability to resize pictures yet like I do on our home computer. I need to know how to resize pictures on a lap top with Windows Vista. If some one out there in Airstream-land has a safe link that will do the trick, I will try to post some pictures. Oh, and this is our first trip with Centramatics on our trailer. It might be our imagination, but it seems to feel like our set up was smoother on the freeways. I usually only retorque my trailer wheels before each trip, but because I had to remove all of my wheels to install my new Centramatics, I know I need to recheck them on the road. I was getting a little bit nervous because the first rest stop was 150 miles from home. At the first rest stop I checked all of my lug nuts and only one barely moved, so from there on out I was feeling good.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:45 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Cleveland , Tennessee
Please post photos

Hi Bob & Lee. If you have Vista, then you have Windows
Photo Gallery program. 1- Click on photo you want to resize. 2- Click "Fix" on top toolbar. 3- Click "Crop Picture" on the right side. 4- Use "Custom" for the proportion. 5- Move the sides of the highlighted are to crop photo as desired. 6- Click "Apply". 7- Post photos on Airforums for our amusement.

Ricky

AIR 22749 WBCCI 2349 NOVA TAC TN-6
1989 345 LE Classic Motorhome
3 Dog Nite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 10:54 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks for the updates on your "Random Trip"...that 's great...keep us posted and we'll follow along to enjoy it with you...and drive carefully, y'hear?!
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:04 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Bob & Lee's random trip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
I am using my wife's lap top and I don' t have the ability to resize pictures yet like I do on our home computer. I need to know how to resize pictures on a lap top with Windows Vista. If some one out there in Airstream-land has a safe link that will do the trick, I will try to post some pictures.
While not a great photo editor, the Paint program that is packaged with Vista will allow you to resize images:
  • Click on Start Button
    • Select "All Programs"
      • Select "Accessories"
        • Select "Paint"
        • File-to-Open the file you wish to resize
        • Then click on "Image"
        • Select "Resize/Skew"
        • Specify the same "Percentage" change for both width and height to maintain original proportions.
        • Save your edited file using "Save As" and a new filename.
It may take some trial and error using this program but once the parameters are established for your first photo they should work with others from the same camera.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2009, 11:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
forgetfull old person.

Hi, this time when I pulled my trailer out from it's spacious parking spot at home, I didn't turn on the house batteries. This is how and when I discovered it. At home I had my trailer plugged in and everything was working just fine. When I unplugged the cord this morning, I ASSUMED, that my refrigerator would automatically switch to propane. Well it would if some dummy turned on the house battery switch so the refrigerator brain would know what to do. Since we had lunch and cold drinks in an ice chest in my Lincoln, we didn't need to open my refrigerator until we stopped at the Wal-Mart in St. George, Utah. So from Lakewood, Ca. to St. George, Utah driveing in temps up to 101 degrees with my refrigerator off, everything was still cold inside. Batteries now on and "everything working as per design." [that's mechanic talk]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-12-2009, 11:56 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, this time when I pulled my trailer out from it's spacious parking spot at home, I didn't turn on the house batteries. This is how and when I discovered it. At home I had my trailer plugged in and everything was working just fine. When I unplugged the cord this morning, I ASSUMED, that my refrigerator would automatically switch to propane. Well it would if some dummy turned on the house battery switch so the refrigerator brain would know what to do. Since we had lunch and cold drinks in an ice chest in my Lincoln, we didn't need to open my refrigerator until we stopped at the Wal-Mart in St. George, Utah. So from Lakewood, Ca. to St. George, Utah driveing in temps up to 101 degrees with my refrigerator off, everything was still cold inside. Batteries now on and "everything working as per design." [that's mechanic talk]
Uh. Did you also drive all those miles without working turn signals and brake lights on your trailer? I may be wrong, but I thought the battery kill switch in the trailer killed those also. I've found that plugging in the umbilical doesn't guarantee that your lights are all working. If you don't check your running lights, brakes and turn signals every time you start up, you're risking getting into deep trouble when someone behind you doesn't anticipate your next move and is too close. And baby they all seem to drive too close to my aluminum.

Glad to know your food stayed cold. That's been my general experience - especially when the fridge is full. Pretty good insulation there.

Paula
Old 05-13-2009, 12:14 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
Uh. Did you also drive all those miles without working turn signals and brake lights on your trailer? I may be wrong, but I thought the battery kill switch in the trailer killed those also. I've found that plugging in the umbilical doesn't guarantee that your lights are all working. If you don't check your running lights, brakes and turn signals every time you start up, you're risking getting into deep trouble when someone behind you doesn't anticipate your next move and is too close. And baby they all seem to drive too close to my aluminum.

Glad to know your food stayed cold. That's been my general experience - especially when the fridge is full. Pretty good insulation there.

Paula
Hi, Paula. My trailer lights are powered by my tow vehicle and I did check them all before leaving home. You are right about the umbilical cord; One time I noticed a little lack in brakeing and the plug was in, but the ground wire connection was loose and dirty. This caused, not only no trailer brakes, but no trailer lights either. I hope that never happens again. Now that I switched from a Tekonsha Voyager to a Tekonsha P-3, I will have a bright red display letting know I have a propblem.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-13-2009, 08:09 AM   #8
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Hey Robert,

Sounds like a great trip! Lets see some pictures..

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Hey, Bob, I love random travels too. Lynn and I used to do a lot of those eons (when kids were little) ago. Your new adventure sounds good and may just encourage us to do the same again. Now that you know how to resize pictures (I guess refered to as 'images' now) we will see yours. We have Vista on our laptop and I have problems resizing there too. The info here I'll have to try.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2009, 08:37 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Pictures test.

Hi, I will try to post some pictures. I only have a few for now because we haven't been to any of our destinations yet.

(1.) Bob's Airstream foot stool in our remodeled living room.

(2.) Bob's Yamaha Generator in it's travel position.

(3.) Front view of campsite in Cedar City, Utah.

(4.) Rear view of campsite in Cedar City, Utah.

To post pictures, I just did the same thing as I do on my home computer with the exception of the re-sizing option. I had to load one picture at a time to make it work.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob's pictures #1 052.jpg
Views:	774
Size:	214.8 KB
ID:	80187   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob's pictures #1 053.jpg
Views:	781
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	80188  

Name:	Bob's pictures #1 055.jpg
Views:	737
Size:	396.5 KB
ID:	80189   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob's pictures #1 056.jpg
Views:	662
Size:	370.8 KB
ID:	80190  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-13-2009, 09:13 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Day two.

Hi, this is day two on our random trip. Our plan was to make it to Idaho, but we didn't get that far. After many hours of driving up hill, against the wind, and trying to maintain 60 to 65 MPH we lost about two hours in Salt Lake City traffic. [just like LA] Lee asked me if I could go 70 MPH and I said 65 MPH is it unless we do the 16" wheel and Michelin tire conversion. I would rather spend the money on this, to do 70, than to be on the side of the road putting on my spare tire and wheel. So, because of the delays, we ended up in another KOA in Brigham City, Utah. This is an old rustic KOA, but it will do for the night. TV is by antenna only, but Lee brought a few DVD's she has been wanting to watch, while I get to use the free Wifi.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-13-2009, 10:47 PM   #12
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Great pics.. now is the foot stool and the generator one in the same? If not its very close in dimensions.

Have a great trip. I too have been in the commute traffic in Salt lake. Everyone gets on one big freeway at once.. crazy.

Vin

Old 05-13-2009, 10:51 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by vlamica View Post
Great pics.. now is the foot stool and the generator one in the same?
Vin
Hi, yes my Airstream foot stool/Yamaha generator cover is dual purpose.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-13-2009, 11:01 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
1970 31' Sovereign
1972 25' Tradewind
Newport , Oregon
not your ordinary park experience

If you want a real adventure take a look at taking the Aston-Flagg Ranch Road it runs between US 20 and US 89 and takes you along the North border of Teton National Park and the South border of Yellowstone National Park plenty of room to boondock as it is all national forest and No park entrance fees unless you take a side trip to one of the camp grounds in the park then if a ranger finds you you pay them or your pass will also work. posted park boundary signs are visible they are about 5X7 and stapled to trees as there are no fences. It is a good gravel road all the way
buckmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 07:37 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Day three.

Hi, today is actually the beginning of day four, but Wifi wasn't working last night. We left Brigham City, Utah and were headed for the Grand Tetons. It was mostly a nice drive with nice scenery. We made a rest stop at a Lava Bed area. The wind was so strong it almost blew the doors off of my Lincoln. So we stayed there for just a little while. Later my Lincoln got the workout of it's life on the Teton Pass. There was snow everywhere except on the road, but the 10% upgrade followed by the 10% down grade was the first time I was forced to use first gear [low] and drive at 30 MPH or less because of the curves in the road. I stopped on a turn out to chek things out because I was forced to use my brakes more than ever to keep my speed down due to the steep grade. I knew the Lincoln was going to be fine, but I wanted to know how the trailer's drum brakes were doing. My wheels were cold so my brakes were doing just fine. [I love my drum brakes] The first two pictures were taken at Brigham City KOA. The third picture is in Idaho next to the Snake river. The last picture was at the lava beds, Called Hell's Half Acre and the wind was blowing like hell.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Bob's pictures  #2 002.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	534.4 KB
ID:	80243   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob's pictures  #2 004.jpg
Views:	540
Size:	469.5 KB
ID:	80244  

Name:	Bob's pictures  #2 012.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	351.6 KB
ID:	80245   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bob's pictures  #2 005.jpg
Views:	486
Size:	264.9 KB
ID:	80246  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-15-2009, 07:59 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member

2000 34' Excella
Tucson , Arizona
What a lovely spot and great pics. Sorry to hear about the wind it is murder on the gas mileage. Is it still chilly up there?
elolson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 08:27 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Day four.

Hi, today we traveled all through the Great Tetons National Park; We got in free sort-of. Yesterday I bought a Senior Pass. We took in the beautiful scenery and were looking for wild animals. They were all hiding from us. After hiking for a few hours, I was hungry enough to eat a bear. I hope the bear wasn't hungry enough to want to eat me. My Lincoln was in a good mood today since it got to go solo. We did see some deer and bison off in the distance too far for pictures. This is a good time for this trip because the weather is pretty good, but slightly cold for us, and the streets and campgrounds are near empty. The first picture was taken from our campsite and the other three were taken in the park.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	003.jpg
Views:	508
Size:	267.9 KB
ID:	80272   Click image for larger version

Name:	006.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	284.8 KB
ID:	80273  

Name:	012.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	299.3 KB
ID:	80275   Click image for larger version

Name:	014.jpg
Views:	492
Size:	274.2 KB
ID:	80276  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-15-2009, 08:30 PM   #18
3 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
1962 24' Tradewind
Vincennes , Indiana
Did you follow the Snake River gorge from Idaho up into Wyoming? THAT is a beautiful drive!

I love the yellow diamond warning signs "Watch for Cattle - Open Range"!!!

Godspeed,
Trent
TV4: 2005 Dodge 3500, 478,000 miles, 4spd auto
"Too much of what I once knew I now know not" Me
blacksheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:06 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
Beautiful pictures and great commentary. Thank you for sharing your adventures with us.
tksbaskets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2009, 09:37 PM   #20
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Ok Bob, How many times have you washed the Lincoln so far during this trip.. she looks way to clean.. LOL

Vin