Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2015, 05:19 PM   #1381
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, actually everywhere that we have been, the people have been nicer than California people; Sad because I was born in Long Beach and spent most of my entire life there. In California you could get killed for just looking at someone. And the "F" bombs fly freely there. I haven't heard any on this trip. I have to hold my tongue due to the common California language. Don't get me wrong. There are a lot of great things in California that you won't find anywhere else. Just the same, we are glad that we moved to Oregon and miss it. Dusty had a pet sitter for three days. They charge $5.00 per visit/walk and he needs special attention. Our bill was $55.00 and we paid $65.00 because the sitter gets paid by KOA and all of the pet sitting money goes for children with cancer. New York was amazing and we saw most of it. Times Square, Metropolitan Museum, Central park, Etc. Etc. Etc. The train ride was over one hour long and after about 45 minutes the seats felt like cast iron. We are now in New Hampshire again to eventually see the Foliage. Lee said we are going back to Maine for more lobster too. We are truly traveling randomly.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2015, 05:34 PM   #1382
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Holiday weekend over???? It was crazy with all of the people at KOA. The KOA's are getting better and have plenty of things to do for everyone. When I last wrote about KOA's they were all run down and pittiful. They must have gotten the message. Now we hope for easy sailing because the kids went back to school and the big kids went back to work.

A few of the RV parks are not dog friendly. A state park said no dogs from May 1 to September 30. We were told that Connecticut camp grounds don't allow dogs; What does Connecticut have against traveling with pets?

Weather here is still hot and muggy. We are hoping for cooler weather soon. Gas prices are still decent. In the $2.50 range. I won't attempt to post pictures and get kicked out of WIFI. My camera is acting up and will be replaced soon I hope.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-07-2015, 05:50 PM   #1383
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
First ever panic stop.

Hi, so many times people pull onto the freeway and never look where they are going and who is already there. My wife and I agree that most of the close calls were by young girls who just drive on the on ramp and never LOOK. Today a young girl came onto the freeway and was headed directly to the right side of my truck. She never even looked until I blasted my horn and slammed on my brakes. She was so close to hitting me that I could only see her window and not any part of the side of her car. Had to be anywhere from one to six inches between us. She knew that she was wrong because when I passed her, she just looked straight ahead. I have to say that my truck and trailer brakes did their job. In eleven years, this is the first time ever that I had to slam on my brakes. Lee was surprised at how fast my reactions are, especially at my age. I had to get out at McDonalds and see if she wiped some of the dirt off of the side of my truck. That was a close one.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-07-2015, 06:45 PM   #1384
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Did you check the truck seats for and other results of that panic stop? Mine was now probably five years ago in Pa. when in interminable traffic jam traffic slowed, stopped, sped up, stopped, crept, etc. Our lane (of 3) sped up and I was trying to see between the lanes to find out what was ahead because an 18 wheeler was in front of us and I couldn't see past him. He stopped quickly, I wasn't paying attention for a few seconds, then I saw him stopped and stood on the brakes. Watching all that steel in front of us coming closer and closer and closer and slowing down taking forever and ever and ever was an image that has not left me. I stopped about 2 feet behind him. That's how I learned is can be really hard to stop these monsters. Our seats remained clean. I can imagine what your rig would have done to that car and the driver—it would not have been pretty. Bob, you are having a lot of challenges on this trip—I can understand the desire to go to quiet and peaceful Vermont. You may have to wait a month for leaf peeping though. Why not go to Newfoundland while you wait?—very quiet there now, so you'll have the place to yourself. They have really good sweaters to sell and the exchange rate is around 68¢ for a US dollar.

If you could do NYC in 2 days, you must have stayed up 24 hours/day, but I can see how the commuter train trip would discourage you from wanting to go another few days.

I have had the same struggles with CG wifi. They would do better to bury ethernet cable than wifi, but few RV's have an ethernet (or whatever they call it now) port. Wifi is not a good medium for what it is used for; it was not originally designed for things like CG's. And it seems few technicians are good at installing it, so most CG's are just making a deal with Tengo or other wifi company. The Verizon mifi, or jetpack, or whatever they call it this month, works much better so long as you have a cell signal. It is expensive, but is a lot faster and I think you can shut it off half of the year. We didn't use it much going north and little in Canada, but the week coming back we had so much data left I was thinking of downloading the Library of Congress. If the Verizon system wasn't the only way we can get decent broadband at home, I don't know if I'd buy it for travels, but it is an option.

OK, OK, never waxed, washed at least once.

You and moosetags were on the road before us and still are. We came back wasted and were pretty tired at tomes during the trip. How are you doing with your long, long trip?

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2015, 04:48 PM   #1385
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, yesterday we found a place in New Hampshire, I think, and we went back to Maine today. Although this camp ground is pretty good, [Good Sam] we noticed a reversal between Good Sam and KOA. Generally KOA's are nicer on this side of the country, than Good Sam. Opposite on the West side. We are still energetic and excited about going to new places, even though we are somewhat circling around. Waiting for the change of colors and they seem to have started. Lee wants us to get some more lobster and I'm not going to argue that. I need anew camera, but can't find a Costco in Maine and not sure that I want to buy from a camera shop. [$$$$$$$] Dusty has had some ups and downs, but he must be still doing well because he still wakes me up ay 3:00 AM everyday.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-08-2015, 07:19 PM   #1386
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
What tongue jack make and model did you purchase?

Kelvin
Hi, Ultra Fab 3502, tongue jack.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-09-2015, 09:13 AM   #1387
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, I got my Canon with all sorts of extras in a kit on Amazon. You could have it overnighted to your CG. The Canon Rebel series have been very good cameras and it came with 2 telephoto lenses. But I know smartphone cameras have become very good too, although they seem so uncameralike to me.

Gene

Old 09-09-2015, 02:30 PM   #1388
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Bob, I got my Canon with all sorts of extras in a kit on Amazon. You could have it overnighted to your CG. The Canon Rebel series have been very good cameras and it came with 2 telephoto lenses. But I know smartphone cameras have become very good too, although they seem so uncameralike to me.

Gene
I don't know much about cameras either. However common logic tells me that smartphone cameras lenses must be far inferior to Canon SLR lenses.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 03:38 PM   #1389
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Lee has a Canon DSLR camera with lenses, but I like pocket cameras now. I have a Sony with 20 X zoom and it has worked for several years. Now the electronics act up and there are spots on the pictures, mostly when zoomed. The one hate thing is that you can't see the screen. I'm Looking at a Panasonic with a 30 X zoom and a built in electronic view finder. [also a screen] Nothing worse than aiming and shooting to find out later that you missed all or part of what you wanted.

Today was the first day that I tried to use my portable printer and it worked perfect.

We went into Freeport and the big thing there is L L Bean; They have a huge store and several separate stores all in the same area. I didn't buy anything, but I was impressed. Nice little town. Bought some more Lobster last night and Lee made us a Lobster omelet. There is a McDonalds there that looks like a Victorian building. Really nice looking. I bet it was very hard to convince this town to let them build a McDonalds.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-09-2015, 03:46 PM   #1390
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1982 24' Airstream 240
Ventura , California
Smartphone pics

It is really easy to upload pictures taken from a smartphone....don't have to transfer to a computer to share...having done photography for years---remember film?.....I find I really like the ease of using my phone and it is so much smaller.....maybe my eyes are growing dim but they look pretty good to me. With something like a 16 megapixel rear phone.....it is pretty good. I left my big SLR at home this trip. It is important to upload everything to a cloud in case you lose your phone or drop it in the toilet....don't ask me how I know. Paula
WBCCI # 8252 Air#13593
1982 24'Motorhome (82Ste P)
SteSpot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 04:28 PM   #1391
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
SteSpot,

I too have taken many recent photos with my Android Turbo w/ 21mega pix. No more constant downloading onto the computer and so easy to post into the forum or into a text or email.

Would love a Fuji X100 to replace my small Canon Sureshot but carrying one thing, the phone, sure make quick pics easy cheesy.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2015, 05:21 PM   #1392
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Bob, Lee, and Dusty's Random Trips

The best camera is the one you have with you. Many times (with children or wildlife, etc.) the opportunity for a memorable image is fleeting at best. I often carry a relatively bulky DLSR, but I always have the iPhone in my pocket. Many of the newer iPhone and Android cameras are capable of taking great photos considering they are point and shoot and for many it is a good choice and as previously mentioned makes it simple to post photos online. Some are unaware that the volume button on the side of the iPhone functions as the shutter making it easy to capture one handed images by simply aiming and squeezing.

Spots that appear on the same place in a series of images are often caused by a speck of something on or a fault in the sensor. They often blend into the background of a busy image but are noticeable in a solid area such as sky or a mono-colored background. It is difficult if not impossible to clean the sensor on some cameras that don't a have removable lens. The image can be fixed in "post processing" so it is not a total loss. A good free program that is available for both Windows and Mac is Google Picasa has among its many features a Retouch function that does a good job of removing blemishes. There are also smartphone apps that will do the job, but I personally prefer to edit with a bigger screen.
Old 09-09-2015, 05:50 PM   #1393
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1441841139.250119.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	184.4 KB
ID:	247724

The link mentioned in this screenshot may be useful to find when and where the leaves are best for peeping in Maine. There are other similar pages as well as apps for a smart phone/tablet. The timing and degree of change varies from year to year and is as predictable as the weather. A bad year is still great, but a good year can be absolutely spectacular. Western Maine can be better than Downeast for Fall colors. If you can catch the peak along the Kancamagus Hwy (Rt112) between Conway and Lincoln NH, it will be worthwhile and possibly on up through the notch to Franconia. Beware, the turnouts on the Kancamagus are part of the state park system and require a vehicle pass to stop in them subject to fines and the park rangers do their due diligence! There is no room in the turnouts for a trailer and for that reason and the number of fellow leaf peepers on the road, I would highly recommend you find a basecamp and make day trips from it.
Old 09-09-2015, 06:37 PM   #1394
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
The best peeping is where others aren't. The states are close together and using the trailer as a base slightly ahead of the best colors will make driving much better. Lots and lots of people will be peeping, especially on weekends. You will need reservations and prices will be boosted. Stay on back roads. You will have the newest jack in the CG no matter how it goes.

The phone/camera is fast. By the time I remember where the camera is, take off the lens cover, turn it on, have the lens adjust and then think about pushing the button, whatever it was no longer is. I still like what feels like a camera and have far more options for telephoto and clarity. I've been using SLR cameras for 45 years and reflex cameras for more than 60 years, so I guess I'm a Luddite. I can take photos with my iPad and have used it a few times. I can't figure out how to get those particular photos off the iPad though.

Bob, I remember your last camera quest, hope this goes better and quicker.

Gene

Old 09-09-2015, 06:41 PM   #1395
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteSpot View Post
It is really easy to upload pictures taken from a smartphone....don't have to transfer to a computer to share...having done photography for years---remember film?.....I find I really like the ease of using my phone and it is so much smaller.....maybe my eyes are growing dim but they look pretty good to me. With something like a 16 megapixel rear phone.....it is pretty good. I left my big SLR at home this trip. It is important to upload everything to a cloud in case you lose your phone or drop it in the toilet....don't ask me how I know. Paula
Hi, we still use dumb phones; They do take pictures, but we seldom use them for that. I never re-use my memory cards. I save them all.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-09-2015, 06:53 PM   #1396
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Pictures?

Hi, Would you believe that the first two pictures are of a McDonald's? Cool as a Moose in Maine; But still quite warm. Lee made a lobster omelet this morning and lobster fettuccine for dinner. I made an order on line and thought that it was time to make a print with my HP portable printer; It worked perfectly.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00526RS.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	247730   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00527RS.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	124.5 KB
ID:	247731  

Name:	DSC00528RS.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	134.0 KB
ID:	247732   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00530RS.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	247733  

Name:	DSC00529RS.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	105.9 KB
ID:	247734  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-09-2015, 07:08 PM   #1397
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
The best peeping is where others aren't. The states are close together and using the trailer as a base slightly ahead of the best colors will make driving much better. Lots and lots of people will be peeping, especially on weekends. You will need reservations and prices will be boosted. Stay on back roads. You will have the newest jack in the CG no matter how it goes.

The phone/camera is fast. By the time I remember where the camera is, take off the lens cover, turn it on, have the lens adjust and then think about pushing the button, whatever it was no longer is. I still like what feels like a camera and have far more options for telephoto and clarity. I've been using SLR cameras for 45 years and reflex cameras for more than 60 years, so I guess I'm a Luddite. I can take photos with my iPad and have used it a few times. I can't figure out how to get those particular photos off the iPad though.

Gene
Hi, it might take longer to find a camera due to the lack of stores; It's hard to even find a market in some areas. We found one today, but they changed the name so we drove right past it. And it took about ten miles to turn around, and that's without the trailer. Without a GPS, I would be more lost. Yes, even with a GPS, I get lost.

Here is another picture of McDonalds and my camera spots in the Sky.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00523RS.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	247735  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-10-2015, 12:10 AM   #1398
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:

Gene
There are a lot of ways to transfer them. However the easiest way to do it without research is to email them to yourself.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015, 10:22 AM   #1399
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
that's what I do, the e-mail thing... haven't figured anything else out yet???
Old 09-11-2015, 06:13 PM   #1400
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Re: Last two posts. I wanted to delete some photos on my iPad—these were ones I took on it, not ones transferred to it. Tried it, they left, then came back. Decided it has something to do with voodoo and best to live with it.

Bob, I repeat, buy it online, have them overnight it to you at a CG. Probably cost less than at a camera shop and that may be why camera stores have gone away. If my camera stops working, I guess I'm supposed to throw it away, but it cost too much. Good that your old one is still working.

Gene