Old 08-30-2015, 09:07 PM   #1373
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, more reasons to be a bad driver in Massachusetts; Street signs. You are driving down a main highway and are looking for Jones street, for a left turn. When you get to where you think you are supposed to turn, the sign says Mary Ave. So you drive past Mary Ave. just to find out that you missed your turn. WHAT????? GPS said to turn, but the name of the street was wrong. Well here's the deal; Several, actually many, streets change names right at the main highway. Another common practice, is that there might be street signs for cross roads, but nothing confirming what street you are actually on. This is messed up.

Old 08-30-2015, 09:34 PM   #1374
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I am convinced street names in Brooklyn change every few blocks. Brooklyn is a mystery to me and last time I was there I didn't get lost too often, perhaps pure luck. You will enjoy Brooklyn driving too, but Manhattan is blood sport. I admit downtown Boston is all paved over cow paths with impossible parking. Last time I was there (1976), the subway seemed to have purchased the cars from the Toonerville Company. If you go to metro NYC, do not take the trailer on anything named a "parkway"—prohibited. Tunnels, no. GW Bridge is ok on one of the decks, but not the other. In fact, trailers don't do well in NYC and you'd have to find a CG outside and take a commuter line into the city. I understand there's one on the Hudson River in Jersey City or Hoboken and close to PATH trains (Hudson Tubes in my day), but the tunnels are in bad shape, trains take forever to get into Manhattan. The NYC area is not RV friendly. You could find a NJ CG fairly far away and then get a hotel room in the city.

I know I am making NYC sound impossible, but the city is an exciting place with world class museums, food, entertainment and architecture (the Empire State Building is the world's most beautiful skyscraper) and very interesting people. You have to walk a lot between subway stations (New Yorkers have strong legs) and I always avoid busses. I guess Uber is the way to go now, but the subway will take you almost everywhere. Oh, bring those thousands you were going to spend in Canada because you'll need it. Of course, you could go to Philadelphia instead, but don't tell anyone if you do.

Have you been to Faneuil Hall?—that is as much of part of the beginnings of the American Revolution as anything. You can imagine Sam Adams inciting the crowds from the stage. It is still there more than 200 years later. As a one time historian, it was the most exciting thing I saw in Boston. Yeh, Independence Hall in Philly is important too as where they wrote the Constitution, but Faneuil Hall is where it started.

Enjoy your driving.

Gene

Old 09-01-2015, 08:31 PM   #1375
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
9-1-2015.

Hi, this morning we got ready to leave Cap Cod; The usual, fill the black tank drain it and fill it again and drain it again, drain the gray tank, start the truck, load Dusty into the truck. Disconnect water hose and fill fresh tank. Turn everything off and disconnect shore cord. Finish connecting hitch. Raise tongue jack and Bzzzzippppppzzzzzzzbbbbbzzzzz. Damn, stripped gear in tongue jack. Now I have another project. OK so we drove from Mass through RI and through Conn. [I don't feel like spelling tonight] and finally, back in New York. On the way there were no camp grounds, no RV sales or parts, and basically nothing to stop for. And no rest stops either. We are in a KOA and I have removed my tongue jack so I can get a new gear or buy a new tongue jack tomorrow at camping World. I heard that these tongue jacks stripped gears and mine is going on 11 years old, so I guess I was due for this to happen. My bathroom cabinet sliding doors come off with hard bumps in the road; I need new plastic channels, but that will have to wait until I get home. Also my upper pantry door keeps popping off of the upper hinge. I tried a few Mickey Mouse fixes, but they didn't work. Lastly I tied the clip-together-hinge pieces together with ty-wraps. FIXED.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 11:19 PM   #1376
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Years ago my jack stopped, I took the cover off and found all the grease was everywhere but on the gears. I put the grease on the actual gears and it has worked every since. Every year I consider making sure the grease is still on the gears and then I do something else. Maybe I should check that given your experience. Ours is 8 years old and I can't wait for 11.

Good luck with the jack. And I'm glad you hadn't lost the crank or you have had a problem getting it off.

Gene
Old 09-02-2015, 09:00 PM   #1377
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
9-2-2015.

Hi, today's agenda was to go to Camping World, the only RV store around, and try to buy a new gear for my tongue jack. Well we were off to a good start when the parts person was a woman; She had no idea of what I wanted and had to ask someone else. And then the typical, make model and serial number and I might be able to order you one. I bought a new tongue jack and will fix my old one when I get home.

My truck tires are past due for rotation and there just happens to be a Ford dealer right next door to Camping World. I go in there and there is a girl at the desk, but she can only help if I have an appointment. So she directs me to the service advisors desks. There, a woman asks me what I want and I tell her that I need a tire rotation and need to wait for it. She says it can't be done for a few hours. Lee wants to tour the Vanderbilt Mansion. I told her my truck was making a noise and needed to know if it was normal or not. She had no clue as to what I was asking for. So I asked to speak to the shop foreman. She said that they didn't have one.

I have nothing against women having mechanical related jobs, but if they do, they need to know more than taking orders and looking at a computer.

Lee did her tour and I found another Ford dealer and got my truck taken care of.

Then we headed for the camp ground where I had the job of replacing my tongue jack before dark and/or the mosquitos. Just in time because we are staying here for three more days and we have to change spaces tomorrow. One other camper wanted to stay one more day, but this place is completely booked for the weekend. Good thing that we checked this morning or we might have been homeless for a few days. Hopefully after this weekend things will be less crowded and easier going. We don't camp on big holidays, but on long trips it is not avoidable.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-04-2015, 12:03 PM   #1378
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
What tongue jack make and model did you purchase?

Kelvin
Old 09-07-2015, 12:25 PM   #1379
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Has Bob been extradited to Canada? Been 5 days since he posted. Last seen with new tongue jack at a KOA north of NYC. Has a new Ford truck and a never washed Airstream. Keep a lookout.

Gene
Old 09-07-2015, 06:05 PM   #1380
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post

Kelvin
Hi, stupid me forgot the name of the jack, bought it at Camping world for $100.00 more than Amazon wanted for the same thing. [desperation]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Has Bob been extradited to Canada? Been 5 days since he posted. Last seen with new tongue jack at a KOA north of NYC. Has a new Ford truck and a never washed Airstream. Keep a lookout.

Gene
Hi, lets get this straight; Never waxed, not never washed! The camp grounds made WIFI work a bit better, but they now monitor your usage and shut you off. I had no WIFI for the last three days. Almost $600.00 in rent and I can't have decent WIFI??????

We drove to Beacon and took a train into New York City two days in a row. We didn't get robbed, mugged, or any other New York specialty. It was a lot like Los Angelus, but with more huge buildings and we didn't drive there. We took the hop-on and hop-off buses and seen all that we wanted.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-07-2015, 06:19 PM   #1381
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, actually everywhere that we have been, the people have been nicer than California people; Sad because I was born in Long Beach and spent most of my entire life there. In California you could get killed for just looking at someone. And the "F" bombs fly freely there. I haven't heard any on this trip. I have to hold my tongue due to the common California language. Don't get me wrong. There are a lot of great things in California that you won't find anywhere else. Just the same, we are glad that we moved to Oregon and miss it. Dusty had a pet sitter for three days. They charge $5.00 per visit/walk and he needs special attention. Our bill was $55.00 and we paid $65.00 because the sitter gets paid by KOA and all of the pet sitting money goes for children with cancer. New York was amazing and we saw most of it. Times Square, Metropolitan Museum, Central park, Etc. Etc. Etc. The train ride was over one hour long and after about 45 minutes the seats felt like cast iron. We are now in New Hampshire again to eventually see the Foliage. Lee said we are going back to Maine for more lobster too. We are truly traveling randomly.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-07-2015, 06:34 PM   #1382
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Holiday weekend over???? It was crazy with all of the people at KOA. The KOA's are getting better and have plenty of things to do for everyone. When I last wrote about KOA's they were all run down and pittiful. They must have gotten the message. Now we hope for easy sailing because the kids went back to school and the big kids went back to work.

A few of the RV parks are not dog friendly. A state park said no dogs from May 1 to September 30. We were told that Connecticut camp grounds don't allow dogs; What does Connecticut have against traveling with pets?

Weather here is still hot and muggy. We are hoping for cooler weather soon. Gas prices are still decent. In the $2.50 range. I won't attempt to post pictures and get kicked out of WIFI. My camera is acting up and will be replaced soon I hope.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-07-2015, 06:50 PM   #1383
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
First ever panic stop.

Hi, so many times people pull onto the freeway and never look where they are going and who is already there. My wife and I agree that most of the close calls were by young girls who just drive on the on ramp and never LOOK. Today a young girl came onto the freeway and was headed directly to the right side of my truck. She never even looked until I blasted my horn and slammed on my brakes. She was so close to hitting me that I could only see her window and not any part of the side of her car. Had to be anywhere from one to six inches between us. She knew that she was wrong because when I passed her, she just looked straight ahead. I have to say that my truck and trailer brakes did their job. In eleven years, this is the first time ever that I had to slam on my brakes. Lee was surprised at how fast my reactions are, especially at my age. I had to get out at McDonalds and see if she wiped some of the dirt off of the side of my truck. That was a close one.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-07-2015, 07:45 PM   #1384
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Did you check the truck seats for and other results of that panic stop? Mine was now probably five years ago in Pa. when in interminable traffic jam traffic slowed, stopped, sped up, stopped, crept, etc. Our lane (of 3) sped up and I was trying to see between the lanes to find out what was ahead because an 18 wheeler was in front of us and I couldn't see past him. He stopped quickly, I wasn't paying attention for a few seconds, then I saw him stopped and stood on the brakes. Watching all that steel in front of us coming closer and closer and closer and slowing down taking forever and ever and ever was an image that has not left me. I stopped about 2 feet behind him. That's how I learned is can be really hard to stop these monsters. Our seats remained clean. I can imagine what your rig would have done to that car and the driver—it would not have been pretty. Bob, you are having a lot of challenges on this trip—I can understand the desire to go to quiet and peaceful Vermont. You may have to wait a month for leaf peeping though. Why not go to Newfoundland while you wait?—very quiet there now, so you'll have the place to yourself. They have really good sweaters to sell and the exchange rate is around 68 for a US dollar.

If you could do NYC in 2 days, you must have stayed up 24 hours/day, but I can see how the commuter train trip would discourage you from wanting to go another few days.

I have had the same struggles with CG wifi. They would do better to bury ethernet cable than wifi, but few RV's have an ethernet (or whatever they call it now) port. Wifi is not a good medium for what it is used for; it was not originally designed for things like CG's. And it seems few technicians are good at installing it, so most CG's are just making a deal with Tengo or other wifi company. The Verizon mifi, or jetpack, or whatever they call it this month, works much better so long as you have a cell signal. It is expensive, but is a lot faster and I think you can shut it off half of the year. We didn't use it much going north and little in Canada, but the week coming back we had so much data left I was thinking of downloading the Library of Congress. If the Verizon system wasn't the only way we can get decent broadband at home, I don't know if I'd buy it for travels, but it is an option.

OK, OK, never waxed, washed at least once.

You and moosetags were on the road before us and still are. We came back wasted and were pretty tired at tomes during the trip. How are you doing with your long, long trip?

Gene
Old 09-08-2015, 05:48 PM   #1385
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, yesterday we found a place in New Hampshire, I think, and we went back to Maine today. Although this camp ground is pretty good, [Good Sam] we noticed a reversal between Good Sam and KOA. Generally KOA's are nicer on this side of the country, than Good Sam. Opposite on the West side. We are still energetic and excited about going to new places, even though we are somewhat circling around. Waiting for the change of colors and they seem to have started. Lee wants us to get some more lobster and I'm not going to argue that. I need anew camera, but can't find a Costco in Maine and not sure that I want to buy from a camera shop. [$$$$$$$] Dusty has had some ups and downs, but he must be still doing well because he still wakes me up ay 3:00 AM everyday.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-08-2015, 08:19 PM   #1386
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post

Kelvin
Hi, Ultra Fab 3502, tongue jack.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144