Old 07-01-2015, 10:42 PM   #1177
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Day one continued.

Hi, as we were pumping less than two gallons of gas out of my generator into my truck, there were other people in the same situation; Not enough gas to get to either gas station. I talked to some motorcycle people and they saw the gas station and said if you blink, you will miss this one building, one pump gas station.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2015, 10:59 PM   #1178
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Just barely made it.

Hi, [weak WIFI problem, what's new?] There was a one building, one pump gas station that could very easily be missed. We made it, on fumes. My truck took 35.5 gallons in a 36 gallon tank. I also refilled my generator and filled my new gas can. Lee Lee was going to KILL ME. If we ran out of gas on a one lane highway in 105 degree weather, we might have had a casualty. Some one from above must have been looking out for us.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-02-2015, 09:09 PM   #1179
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
I think he was looking out for you Bob! Have a great trip. We are in Colorado on our way to Rocky Mt NP then Mt Rushmore. We actually saw rain. We almost forgot what that looked like!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 07-02-2015, 09:13 PM   #1180
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Day #2.

Hi, today we made it to Idaho; My wife took the Ice Cave tour. This was another scorching hot day so Dusty and I stayed in the truck with the air conditioner running. I didn't go far enough for a true gas mileage test and idling for an hour with the air conditioner on cuts down on the mileage reading. We stopped at a gas station with a Mc Donalds and had lunch there. I also put the wrong gas in my truck. I of coarse put Regular in my tank, and the price was pretty good, but at this gas station, Regular is 85 octane instead of 87. Well it took half a tank, so it will be running on 86 octane for about one more day. I plan to never reset "Trip number 2" on my truck and for this trip, I will not reset "Trip number 1" and so far I have an average of 10.8 MPG towing. So far my mileage is about the same as with my Lincoln, but the power is wonderful. My little engine is smooth and quiet. It never sounds like it is working hard. Cruise control set at 65MPH and it keeps that speed up all of the hills so far. When it does down shift into 5th or 4th gears it holds an RPM of just over 2,000 at the most. Going down hill, it automatically shifts down at about 5 MPH above where you set the cruise control, or at 5 MPH above where you let off of the gas pedal. It will also down shift when you hit the brakes. I do have to remember to put it in Tow/Haul mode every time I restart my truck.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-03-2015, 02:50 PM   #1181
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
You are getting about the same mileage we get with regular, no matter what octane it is. You could have bought a used '07 Tundra. I hope you left us the keys to your house as we will be nearby in about a month and would like to use your bed and take a shower in a bigger shower than in our Airstream.

I look forward to following your trip. If you take your time and get to northern NY and New England, you'll see the trees change. The maples turn a bright red and are quite a sight to see in late Sept. or October. You might need your snowbrush by then.

Gene
Old 07-04-2015, 05:00 PM   #1182
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, yesterday we made it to Jackson Hole Wyoming. We had some ice cream there and Lee gave some to Dusty. We put Dusty in his collapsible wagon, he didn't try so hard to jump out as he did the first time that we tried it, but he wouldn't stop barking. Dusty calmed down after having some ice cream. [calms me down too] No camp sights anywhere, but the RV parking lot was good until 2:00 AM. After that we drove to the Grand Tetons and parked for the rest of the night there.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-04-2015, 05:18 PM   #1183
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
You are getting about the same mileage we get with regular, no matter what octane it is. You could have bought a used '07 Tundra. I hope you left us the keys to your house as we will be nearby in about a month and would like to use your bed and take a shower in a bigger shower than in our Airstream.

I look forward to following your trip. If you take your time and get to northern NY and New England, you'll see the trees change. The maples turn a bright red and are quite a sight to see in late Sept. or October. You might need your snowbrush by then.

Gene
Hi, today our gas mileage was better, about 12.5 MPH My F-150 does a great job of towing and the automatic down shifting is fantastic. I still have to use my brakes some because the small 3.5 L V-6 just doesn't have the engine drag that my Lincoln 5.4 L engine does. The power is amazing; Set cruise control at 65 MPH and it holds on all hills. The engine never revs very high or sounds like it is working. I pulled into traffic this morning and my truck burned rubber. I still have to make some minor hitch adjustments
and I have to do more work so I can use my generator in the bed. The system works good but I need to re-direct the exhaust upward because there is just to much heat in the wrong areas. My neighbor has a key to our house and he is using our Lincoln; His Toyota isn't capable of towing his tent trailer. Actually, two days before his planned camping trip, someone rear ended his Toyota and bent his rear bumper/receiver, and frame downward. So I let him use my Lincoln. So I did my good deed for the year.
Maybe if and when we make it to New York, we can find my friend Robert Cross.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-04-2015, 06:07 PM   #1184
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, yesterday we made it to Jackson Hole Wyoming. We had some ice cream there and Lee gave some to Dusty. We put Dusty in his collapsible wagon, he didn't try so hard to jump out as he did the first time that we tried it, but he wouldn't stop barking. Dusty calmed down after having some ice cream. [calms me down too] No camp sights anywhere, but the RV parking lot was good until 2:00 AM. After that we drove to the Grand Tetons and parked for the rest of the night there.
Hi,
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07212RS.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	216.1 KB
ID:	242213   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07217RS.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	242214  

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-04-2015, 07:36 PM   #1185
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
I will be following your adventure with your new truck with great interest. I'm planning on replacing our '02 Expedition 5.4l w/ 3.73 diff that has served well towing our 27FB with a new one next year with the ecoBoost & 6-speed tranny. Ford seems to have gone all in with this combo and I've not seen anything negative of significance so far.
Old 07-05-2015, 09:41 AM   #1186
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you find Bob, say hello for me. I miss him on the Forum.

Gene
Old 07-05-2015, 04:41 PM   #1187
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
I found my gas mileage on my Tundra was better at higher altitudes on my trip to Utah. Maybe the thinner air is better for aerodynamics. On one leg it was over 13mpg (hand calculated). I only drive around 60mph. Sounds like your F150 is doing well.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2015, 02:22 PM   #1188
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quick updates.

Hi, On the 5th we made it to Sheradin, Wyoming. We spent the night in a Walmart Parking lot, for free. But we spent about $80.00 there, so it wasn't really free.

On the 6th we went to Devils Monument in Wyonming; It is very similar to Devils Post Piles in California. We were very lucky to find a parking space in the upper parking area so we wouldn't have to unhitch our trailer. People were parking their cars in the RV parking area. Today it was cool enough to leave Dusty in the trailer. On most of our trip up to this point it was way too hot so we had to have one person stay in the truck with Dusty, with the air conditioner on. Later that day we made it to Wall, South Dakota and found a camp ground within walking distance of the famous Wall Drug store. We were going to get Buffalo burgers again and share one with Dusty, but instead opted for roast beef and ham dinners. Dusty was just as happy with the Ham and roast beef left overs. Sorry, no buffalo meat for Dusty.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-09-2015, 02:39 PM   #1189
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, on the 7th we stopped at the Corn Castle. The outside was still a work in progress and the inside was actually a movie theater / basket ball court. Inside they sold a lot of corn related items, but nothing that we were interested in. In all, we were not impressed, so we didn't stay for very long.

Later that day we went to De Semt, South Dakota to Laura Ingalls "Little house on the Prairie" at the original 160 acres. This place was interesting even though we were not big fans of the show like my oldest daughter is. I texted her lots of pictures to tease her. Most of the place is original except for Laura Ingalls house which was reproduced as close to original as possible. They have a large grass area for tent camping, a cabin, several covered wagons for rent. They also have four RV camp sites, but they were all taken. We dry camped in the dirt parking lot for $10.00 per night. Most all of the tent campers were Amish people. They drove there in several vehicles, most of which were black. I spied a Honda generator running inside of a black plastic container with the ends cut out and connected to something inside of a Chevy van. Probably a small refrigerator.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-09-2015, 03:00 PM   #1190
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, on the 8th of July, we spent the morning at Laura Ingall's farm to see and do what we didn't get done the night before. We checked out the animals, toured the "Little House", went into the garage where we made rope and corn cobb dolls.

Next we drove to Walnut Grove, MN and paid a visit to the Laura Ingall's Museum; This was somewhat interesting, but not near as much as the farm. We mostly did this for my Daughter who is a Laura Ingall's "Little House on the Prairie" fanatic.

We made it to Henderson City, MN and spent the night in a city park / campground with water and electric. Nice place for $20.00 per night, we some how stayed for free.

This morning, on the 9th of July, we drove to the "Mall of America" made a wrong turn getting getting there, but Caroline got us straightened out. We were able to find a shady spot to park so we could leave Dusty in the trailer without getting cooked. We walked most of the mall even though almost everything was closed. [not open yet] Again, we were not impressed. The stores were nicer, but the intertainment value didn't come close to the Edmonton Mall in Canada. After leaving the Mall, we drove to Alma Center, Wisconsin and we are now at a KOA. We have been going too far too fast, so we are going to try and slow down. My over all gas mileage while towing mostly at 65 MPH is right at 10.8 MPG. truck and trailer are doing great so far. At this point, we have not yet unhitched the truck from the trailer.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144