Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #1441
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Good Deed again.

Hi, I forgot to mention this, but a few days ago while we were at a rest stop something strange was going on. There were about five or six young people in a Honda mini van. They talked to an old man in a pick-up truck who was parked in front of them. The old man stuck a clear plastic hose in his truck's filler neck and sucked on it, but nothing came out. Also we didn't see any gas cans to catch the gas. We guessed that the young people might be out of gas, but they drove in there. Lee said that we should help them. I asked them if there was a problem with their car and they said they were out of gas. I said that I saw them drive in. They said their gas gauge said that they only had five miles left and we were out in the middle of no-where. Hey that's how my trip first started out. They were all on their cell phones trying to call AAA, Mom, or Dad. I told them that AAA might take more than an hour to come out with some gas. I told them that I had a gas can with about 2 1/2 gallons in it. [they could have for $100.00] JUST KIDDING. I gave them the gas and poured it in for them. They offered me money and I said no. They offered me some snacks and a cold drink too, but I told them that I have all that I need in my trailer. I told them that I knew what it was like to be in the middle of no-where and virtually out of gas. I even offered to follow them to the next gas station to make sure that they made it.

Strange things happen when I take my "Nice Guy pills"
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 08:14 PM   #1442
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
10-2-2015.

Hi, this morning we left the camp ground and headed to Wal-Mart for water bottles and other goodies. We drove through the rest of New Mexico and into Arizona. Speed limits were from 65 MPH to 75 MPH and we mostly did 70. Temps got as high as 100 today. Traffic in Phoenix area was horrible, just like L.A. We got through all of this and found a camp ground in Tonopah, Arizona. This is as far as we got today. We arrived at 4:30 PM and the office was already closed. They have a list of sights that are for over nighters. We had to find the space we wanted, fill out the form, add money, and drive truck and trailer back to the office to put it in the mail slot. Then drive back to our space and get hooked up. At 97 degrees, I wasn't going to walk from the chosen space to the office and back. [about one mile total]

Lee has been helping with the driving as long as it is on the open road; Today after she took over we hit mountains and wind. Lee handled it well. The F-150 helps too with it's automatic down shifting transmission.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-03-2015, 10:23 AM   #1443
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Isn't Tonopah in Nevada? Maybe there is another one in Arizona. The one in Nevada features the Clown Motel, a place I never could get Barb to stay at—maybe she thought it was affiliated with the movie, Killer Clowns from Outer Space. Instead we stayed at a motel where the cold water was hot and the hot water was almost steam; the phones didn't work either—this was about 15 years ago.

Never been to Pike's Peak—have been to the top of Mt. Evans many times until the Forest Service started charging people to drive on the road to the top (even though the road is a Colorado highway, not a Forest Service one). They say it is ok to drive it for free, but don't step off the pavement or they will ticket you. Wait until they leave the kiosk around 6 pm and then you can step on the ground too. With one eye in the camera and one on the road, I would have been scared of the driving up to the top too. Those cars in the link Bob Cross posted looked so big when I was a kid, but seem small now.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2015, 10:49 AM   #1444
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
where's they go???
Old 10-06-2015, 04:25 PM   #1445
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
10-6-2015.

Hi, we made it to La Habra, California; My friend does not have WIFI so I was un-able to post. I'm at a computer repair shop now and using their WIFI. Dusty has been cranky lately and it's because he doesn't feel well. I was going to have him groomed today, but the lady was booked. So I took Dusty to the animal hospital today. He still has ear problems and they think he might have tooth problems too. He was checked out and sent home with some new meds. [I was sent home with empty pockets]

One of the reasons for this stop was for Lee and I to see our dentist for cleaning. Sunday morning, one of my teeth broke. Our dentist got us both in on Monday and I got a temporary crown or cap and have to return next Monday for my new cap or crown.

Another reason for this stop was to get computers fixed, and that's where I am now. We also have to visit friends and relatives while here. Also, we have to pay a visit To Forest Lawn for my parents. We will be quite busy. The Laundromat where I did our laundry and used their free WIFI is closed for remodeling.

California is charging right at $1.00 per gallon for gas more than everywhere else we have been. I found a Mobil station for $2.87 per gallon for Regular. Most places are over $3.00, or like I said, right at $1.00 more than all of the other states.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-06-2015, 04:55 PM   #1446
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, the weather here has been getting cooler, but they say a heat wave is on it's way this week. Where we were, only about a week ago is flooded. I had a feeling that we needed to head west, and fast. My truck is now one year old [to me] and is doing great. I'm guessing that it gets about 10.8 MPG towing, where my Lincoln was getting about 10.5 MPG towing. Handling and power is quite a bit better. When we get home, I have a few things that I want checked out, and a major detail job. Truck and trailer are pretty dirty and only had a few natural wash jobs. [rain] I still plan a very minor hitch adjustment and the 50 lbs air in the rear tires was perfect. I need to make a heat deflector for my in bed mounted generator. Something I was unable to do while traveling and the only failure of my generator set-up. It will work for my next trip. I did a lot of thinking and planning for this generator set-up, but only in the real World, will you find what won't work and why.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-07-2015, 11:03 AM   #1447
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Hope Dusty feels better. If he is having teeth issues that could be the issue for him not feeling well. Our 12 1/2 yr old Shih Tzu has had most of her teeth removed over the past 3 or 4 years. The cramped mouth of this breed seems to cause periodontal problems this despite our attempts to clean them at home and yearly vet cleaning. Once the bad teeth are removed Sophie got back to normal. Loves Bil-jac Gooberlicious Peanut Butter soft treats. We give her a couple every night. Crack for dogs.

Kelvin
Old 10-12-2015, 05:08 PM   #1448
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Hope Dusty feels better. If he is having teeth issues that could be the issue for him not feeling well. Our 12 1/2 yr old Shih Tzu has had most of her teeth removed over the past 3 or 4 years. The cramped mouth of this breed seems to cause periodontal problems this despite our attempts to clean them at home and yearly vet cleaning. Once the bad teeth are removed Sophie got back to normal. Loves Bil-jac Gooberlicious Peanut Butter soft treats. We give her a couple every night. Crack for dogs.

Kelvin
Hi, Dusty was given antibiotics. I'm not yet convinced that he has tooth/teeth problems. He was having some breathing problems lately and this morning he cleared his nose. I opened the air vents to change the air in our trailer and it seemed to help. I also removed the air fresheners; They are very strong and I think those were bothering him too. It's been 100 degrees here so the air conditioner has been running non stop. My trailer topped 80 degrees inside until I closed the little bathroom vent, then it went down to 76 degrees. Tomorrow we head North and might be home by Friday. I hope he doesn't need dental work because I don't want to have him put to sleep again. [scary]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-12-2015, 05:21 PM   #1449
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
10-12-2015.

Hi, we are still staying in La Habra, California, but leaving tomorrow. I brought my truck to a car wash and had it cleaned and waxed. Looks like new again, even though it now has over 21,000 miles on it already. [mostly from this trip] I just left the Dentist with my new crown. We went and had a nice lunch at Kabuki, one of our favorite restaurants, that we don't have in Oregon. I finally had time to figure out a tail pipe for my generator and hopefully this is the final link to my system. This pipe directs the exhaust straight up so the bed won't get too hot. Simple fix was an elbow of conduit and a conduit connector. Hardest part was removing the spark arrestor.

We left home with a packed refrigerator and looks like it will be the same going home. [baffled] More stuff in the trailer, and more stuff in the truck. And mountains to climb. More testing of the Ecoboost.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-13-2015, 09:48 PM   #1450
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
10-13-2015.

Hi, this morning at 5:00 AM we left LaHabra, California and made it to Red Bluff, California about 12 hours later. We are at the Durango camp ground. We have stayed here before. They have a new and improved WIFI system with many choices to connect to, but I still had to go to the club house to use my computer. [SAD]

We stopped at a rest stop and I fired up my generator, turned on the air conditioner, and took a short nap. This is great. But when we were ready to move on, I noticed my tail pipe connector came loose. Looked like the tail pipe turned down before falling off. Some of my rubber mat was melted. Well I need a better tail pipe connecter. I will for sure have this system fixed before our next trip. My bed mounted generator is perfect. My generator inlet on my trailer is perfect. The only thing holding me up is my generator exhaust pipe. It's a shame that my creation went about 12,000 miles, on this trip, as unusable because of the exhaust needing to be re-directed and no way to get it done while on the road.

I think it will be two more days before we make it back home. Being gone for three and one half months, I know what I need to do to my trailer and my truck, but what will we need to do to our house when we get home? Will it be real dusty, or still clean? Will we find that insects have moved in? Will there be any surprises, or not? Will Dusty remember how to use his doggie door again. 3 1/2 months without a doggie door and maybe more loss of eye sight may be a concern. I think Dusty will be real happy to be back home; This has been quite a long trip for an 18 year old.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-14-2015, 06:36 AM   #1451
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Get home, exhale deeply, take a break and just relax for a day. Enjoyed your adventure. Take care of that puppy, he's dependent on you. You're good people.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 11:54 AM   #1452
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
what will we need to do to our house when we get home? Will it be real dusty, or still clean? Will we find that insects have moved in? Will there be any surprises, or not?
At least the Cascadia Fault hasn't let go yet and you won't arrive to find a pile of rubble. Maybe next week.

I hope things are well as they can be in SoCal. See you next year in Newfoundland?

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2015, 07:09 PM   #1453
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
tallahassee , Florida
Bob,

You must be putting in another long day driving or have no wifi. Wishing you luck, that when you return home you will find everything as you left it. I have enjoyed this trip but it sure seems to me the southern part of your journey just didn't compare to the northern part. Can we expect you will rectify that in the future?

Carol
tallytwo1994 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 10:15 AM   #1454
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Thanks for once again taking us along on your random journey. You guys really know how to travel.

Cheers Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 07:27 PM   #1455
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by avionstream View Post
Get home, exhale deeply, take a break and just relax for a day. Enjoyed your adventure. Take care of that puppy, he's dependent on you. You're good people.
Hi, We left Red Bluff expecting to be home in two days. Well we made it in one day. I guess the excitement of finally going home gave me extra energy. [No-Doze not needed] Our house was just as we left it and still had that new house smell. Dusty is lost in this big house after such a long time in the trailer. He hasn't been able to go out his doggie dog yet, but he has made it back in by-his-self. He gets frustrated but we help him as much as possible. Dusty walked around the block today. He's slowly getting used to being here. We spent time unloading the trailer and doing laundry. My truck is still hitched to the trailer and still loaded. I used my Lincoln to do some shopping today. Getting my TV and internet turned back on was a major pain. Hopefully we can take a break.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-15-2015, 07:30 PM   #1456
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
At least the Cascadia Fault hasn't let go yet and you won't arrive to find a pile of rubble. Maybe next week.

I hope things are well as they can be in SoCal. See you next year in Newfoundland?

Gene

Hi, no Earth Quakes, rubble, or Canada for a while. See you next year when I finish my fix it list.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-15-2015, 07:41 PM   #1457
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tallytwo1994 View Post
Bob,

You must be putting in another long day driving or have no wifi. Wishing you luck, that when you return home you will find everything as you left it. I have enjoyed this trip but it sure seems to me the southern part of your journey just didn't compare to the northern part. Can we expect you will rectify that in the future?

Carol
Hi, after 3 1/2 months on the road, we had enough. [can't be full timers] We needed to see our dentist and I broke a tooth one day before we got in. We will have more trips in the future, but definitely shorter. If I had time to do the final fix on my generator, things would have been better in all of the hot weather. All in all the truck and trailer did great. Going back over Lee's journal, We did more than I can remember and I hope to post that list with more pictures.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-15-2015, 07:55 PM   #1458
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airslide View Post
Thanks for once again taking us along on your random journey. You guys really know how to travel.

Cheers Vinnie
Hi, WIFI willing, I enjoy posting our adventures. According to my truck, we pulled our trailer over 13,000 miles on this trip. Wheel bearings, brakes, and ST tires all doing good. Guesstimating gas mileage at 10.8 MPG. We had higher and lower, but this seemed to be the norm. This truck is a pulling monster; Setting cruise control at 65 MPH or 70 MPH, this truck pulled every mountain that we hit, and held it's speed. [last minute purchases in Southern California meant a very packed truck and trailer] Probably the heaviest ever. Going to 50 lbs in my rear tires was the magic combination for handling. Tire pressure and lug nut torque had to be adjusted because of a tire rotation on the truck. True to my practices, I re-torqued my trailer lug nuts once because the wheels were off for new tires and never once checked tire pressures again after leaving home.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-17-2015, 06:06 PM   #1459
Rivet Master

2008 27' Classic FB
Burkburnett , Texas
We certainly enjoyed following your adventures and certainly understand the variables of internet connectivity at the various campgrounds. The photos were great. Hope to travel with you again.
Old 10-18-2015, 10:11 AM   #1460
Rivet Master

2017 30' Flying Cloud
2008 23' International
Keremeos , British Columbia
I enjoyed following along on your journey! Thanks for sharing.
Lisa

2017 30' FC | 2002 Chinook Destiny | 2008 23' Int. CCD (written off: hail!)
bolerama is offline   Reply With Quote