Old 07-10-2013, 10:31 AM   #1009
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
The only problem we have with our navigation system is sometimes the paper tears where it is folded and I have to put some Scotch tape on it (batteries not included).

Happy trails….

Gene

Old 07-10-2013, 11:41 AM   #1010
4 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
1995 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Bay City , Oregon
I set my GPS on the Brittish mode.. she has a lovely voice, is very polite and never yells... try that... gail

Old 07-10-2013, 07:29 PM   #1011
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by DIR1 View Post
I set my GPS on the Brittish mode.. she has a lovely voice, is very polite and never yells... try that... gail
You can give her or him any voice you wish, but it won't make him or her one bit smarter.

Some day I might stop buying stupid stuff I don't need. Then again, I doubt it.

Ken
Old 07-10-2013, 08:01 PM   #1012
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ag&Au View Post

Some day I might stop buying stupid stuff I don't need. Then again, I doubt it.

Ken
Words to live by.

Gene
Old 07-10-2013, 10:47 PM   #1013
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Salem to Red Bluff.

Hi, today we drove from Salem, Oregon to Red Bluff, California. It hit 101 degrees today. As soon as my trailer was in place, we turned the air conditioner on full blast. Poor Boo-Boo was cooking. [in our trailer] Guess where I'm at right now. No, not the laundry room, but the Club House. Super nice camp ground, [Durango RV resort] but same ole crappy WIFI. Georgette was nice today and we did what she told us to do except for gas stations and rest stops, but she got over it. On her set-up I checked everything except for highways. No "U" turns, No car pool lanes, [HOV] No toll roads, No bitching.... That wasn't one of the choices, but there was at least one more that I can't remember without going back into the system. Oh, and we stopped at a few rest stops where there were no bums with card board signs. [too many now days]

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 10:55 PM   #1014
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, we are not home yet, but pretty close. One more over night stop off for the final tank flush before we get home, because I can't do it at home.

Problems with my Lincoln: Drinks too much.

Problems with my Safari: Bathroom vent fan quit for 1/2 day. It's done this before. Possible dead spot on the motor. One ceiling light bulb burned out.

That's all, so we are happy.

Hoping this heat wave is over by time we get home.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-10-2013, 10:58 PM   #1015
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
The only problem we have with our navigation system is sometimes the paper tears where it is folded and I have to put some Scotch tape on it (batteries not included).

Happy trails….

Gene

Hi, that's an ancient style of GPS that you have Gene. Bet you have a Smart phone. We have a pretty good GPS, but we use dumb phones.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-10-2013, 11:11 PM   #1016

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, that's an ancient style of GPS that you have Gene. Bet you have a Smart phone. We have a pretty good GPS, but we use dumb phones.
One interesting thing our new GPS does:

It connects to my smart phone via Bluetooth. It uses that connection to communicate with a Garmin App on the phone that accesses the internet and relays information to the GPS. One thing that it sends to the GPS is data to allow the GPS to plot real time weather radar on the GPS map. It helped us to avoid some severe thunderstorms in Nebraska in June.

Ken
Old 07-11-2013, 09:05 AM   #1017
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
No smart phones either—one dumb phone between us. But 2 laptops (Barb just got the smallest Mac Air) and one iPad. With Verizon I can get a map on the iPad and watch a blue dot (us) go down the highway. None of this berates us or recalculates.

Bob, did you get a chance to look at houses in Oregon?

Gene
Old 07-11-2013, 04:58 PM   #1018
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Bob & Lee's random trip.

For some reason it doesn't seem as bad when the GPS scolds with an Australian accent. We have named our GPS Delores, and she had had to accept that I am a Wrong-Way-Corrigan . . . I am terrible at determining my direction of travel so thought that GPS would help . . . I never feel as totally lost as I could before, but it is still a rare trip when I don't hear "turn missed . . . recalculating" from Delores. The only time that she became extremely unhappy was when we were directed from the old main highway onto the newly completed 40 mile by-pass route . . . forty miles of "you are not on any marked road" . . . . "turn around and return to last known road" . . . "recalculating" . . . . . "approaching river no bridge or ferry indicated" . . . .

The new road had only been open for 24-hours and Delores' map files were more than two years old so I can't blame her for not knowing about the new road.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 05:27 PM   #1019

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander64 View Post
For some reason it doesn't seem as bad when the GPS scolds with an Australian accent. We have named our GPS Delores, and she had had to accept that I am a Wrong-Way-Corrigan . . . I am terrible at determining my direction of travel so thought that GPS would help . . . I never feel as totally lost as I could before, but it is still a rare trip when I don't hear "turn missed . . . recalculating" from Delores. The only time that she became extremely unhappy was when we were directed from the old main highway onto the newly completed 40 mile by-pass route . . . forty miles of "you are not on any marked road" . . . . "turn around and return to last known road" . . . "recalculating" . . . . . "approaching river no bridge or ferry indicated" . . . .

The new road had only been open for 24-hours and Delores' map files were more than two years old so I can't blame her for not knowing about the new road.

Kevin
The last several years, I have bought lifetime map updates when I get a new GPS. Therefore all my GPS's screw ups are the latest and best screw ups available.

Ken
Old 07-11-2013, 09:17 PM   #1020
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Lost my WIFI.

Hi, last night I lost my WIFI because the young person had to lock up the Club House at 10:00 PM. We left Red Bluff this morning and made it to Bakersfield RV resort. I asked for a place close to the man buildings so I could get WIFI. The young girl told me that their system has been updated, and so far it works great. Actually better than any place we have been to yet. I didn't count the poles, but they are in the camp ground at about every ten spaces. The poles have sensors [or whatever they are called] for the WIFI system. I will try to get a few pictures of them. We stayed in our trailer because it was 100 degrees out there today.

More Later.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-11-2013, 09:45 PM   #1021
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, last night I lost my WIFI because the young person had to lock up the Club House at 10:00 PM. We left Red Bluff this morning and made it to Bakersfield RV resort. I asked for a place close to the man buildings so I could get WIFI. The young girl told me that their system has been updated, and so far it works great. Actually better than any place we have been to yet. I didn't count the poles, but they are in the camp ground at about every ten spaces. The poles have sensors [or whatever they are called] for the WIFI system. I will try to get a few pictures of them. We stayed in our trailer because it was 100 degrees out there today.

More Later.
Hi, here is why the WIFI works in this camp ground. Also Boo-Boo sleeping while I'm driving.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02857RS.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	299.4 KB
ID:	190729   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02858RS.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	190730  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02856RS.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	377.6 KB
ID:	190731  

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #1022
4 Rivet Member

1997 25' Safari
Yakima , Washington
One down and many more campgrounds to go in order to have decent Wi-Fi. I guess you could post this victory in modern technology to your other thread, when will they ever get it right (I am paraphrasing here and may not have gotten the title right myself).

You had another opportunity, at 100 degrees, to test out the efficacy of you A/C. You must be home by now.

1997 25' Safari
2012 Chevy Silverado HD 2500
Duramax/Allison
dirigible25 is offline   Reply With Quote