Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-18-2015, 07:43 AM   #1421
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, Gene; Everything on those new Carriages looked perfect. I wanted to have one sent to Salem, but Lee said no! Besides, I can't have and don't want a horse. I was going to park the Buggy in my front yard to PI$$ off the HOA. Now if Lee would let me buy a Ford or John Deere tractor to pull a Buggy, that would work for me.

I have been having a lot of fun out here because they always ask "Where are you from" and I always say Salem........................Oregon. They all get a shocked look on their faces when I say "Oregon" because there are a few Salems near here. They look even more shocked when I tell them that I drove out here.

Nice twice in one day; a record for me.

As we drove slowly down the country roads soaking up the views, I would sometimes pull over and let cars pass and go again. One time a guy stopped behind me and was lost. [more than me] Even though we had a map and a GPS. He wanted to go to New Holland. Well there were so many turns that nobody would remember, so Lee came up with an Idea. It's only five miles from here, according to Caroline, [she lies] and we are just driving around anyway. So just follow us to New Holland. I glad that we could help someone out and at the same time get to see the New Holland farm equipment factory.

Later I was getting gas and a couple next to me had a puzzled look on their faces. I asked them if they were having trouble getting gas. They said yes. I saw that their license plate was a temp from Texas. I looked at the pump and it was asking for a ZIP code. I mentioned that, for example, People from Canada have this problem because they don't have a zip code. They then said that they were from Denmark. And mentioned that they might have to use cash. I told them to go inside and tell the person that you don't have a zip code and they will help you. They got their gas and thanked me for helping them; They were given a code to use for buying gas fro the person inside.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 08:29 PM   #1422
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
9-18-2015.

Hi, today we drove to Gettysburg, Pennsylvania; We parked in the bus/RV parking lot. After a little checking things out, I discovered that we could unhook our trailer, leave it in the lot, and take a driving tour of the battle fields. This way we could take Dusty with us on the entire tour. They only said that dogs are not allowed in the cemetery. We didn't go there either. The tour was several miles and had marker signs letting you know what way to go and what number site you were at. There were cannons everywhere and monuments everywhere too. Too many monuments so we only took a few pictures of them.

We are now at D.C. KOA. WIFI is weak, so I don't think I will be posting pictures of cannons and monuments. There are no pet sitters here so Lee is going out tomorrow and I will go out the next day. Dusty doesn't seem to be feeling well, but he has been sleeping peacefully tonight. I usually don't take Dusty to the dog parks, but this one was clean and had grass. Dusty loves to walk/run on grass. The area has a black chain link fence around it and a few times Dusty walked into the fence. I put his leash on him and led him into the middle area and turn him loose until he heads for the fence that he cannot see.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-19-2015, 06:12 AM   #1423
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
As dogs get older many lose sight, we have one like that. Make sure the hair is trimmed around his eyes. We've learned to compensate for the aging of our dogs by not stressing them too much and giving them reassurance often. They are our babies after all! You seem to be good pet owners, I respect you for that. I enjoy your reports, good luck.
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 11:14 AM   #1424
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
They look even more shocked when I tell them that I drove out here.
We've heard that too when we are far from home. Seems like long road trips aren't as popular anymore and people would rather get in a flying cattle car, be overcharged for everything, be treated like criminals, and sit obediently while crammed in.

Did you go to the Gettysburg NP museum? It is quite impressive. Lots to see in DC, but it may be hard to get into places. We were last there in January, 2001, and it wasn't too bad (they had a hard time with my cowboy boots because of all the nails in the soles that the metal detector picked up), but I don't know what it is like now. The subway is the best way to get around Washington.

Gene

The Airstream is sold; a 2016 Nash 24M replaced it.
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:47 PM   #1425
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
9-19-2015.

Hi, we skipped the Museum because of time and no home camp yet. The AUTO Drive was quite time consuming and we saw enough cannons and monuments to last a life time.

Today Lee took a bus to D.C. and is touring it now as I type this. This camp ground said that they don't have any pet sitters, but talking to one of the workers, he said he does it, but they don't advertise it. Anyway Dusty wasn't doing well last night so I was going to take care of him, get my propane tank filled, and make another Wal-Mart run. Wal-Mart sure got a lot of my money, but if I went somewhere else I would have spent a lot more.

Dusty gets a build up of junk in one of his eyes and it's like tree sap, very hard to clean without hurting him. I used a wash cloth with warm water to soak his eye and baby shampoo top help loosen the junk up. After what seemed like an hour, I got it almost all off and he is happy about that too. I think he had some food that didn't agree with him. Costco has canned roast beef and he loves it. Recently Costco has not had any and I bought some beef stew for him. I'm putting him back on canned chicken. That seems to work better for him. I can't leave him with a pet sitter if he's not feeling well.

When Lee comes back, we will decide if we stay one more night so I can tour D.C. too. I still had plenty to do while home alone. [with Dusty]

A large Kenworth tow truck came in the camp ground today to lift the back of a Diesel Pusher; One of it's hydraulic levelers got stuck. Bet that cost a few bucks. After lifted the leveler finally went up. That was all the excitement for me today and also confirmed that I don't ever want one of those monster motorhomes. I would be happier with an Amish Buggy.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-20-2015, 12:20 PM   #1426
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, you and Lee are devoted to that dog and do a great job. We would love to have a dog, but traveling with one is a pain and we still travel a lot. If people can bring screaming, and sometimes dirty or barfing kids everywhere, why can't dogs be bought everywhere? The dogs are usually better behaved.

You can see many more battlefields. Antietam is west of you and at the time was the scene of the worst one day carnage anywhere. Or if you prefer the Revolutionary War, Yorktown is to the southeast (close to Jamestown and Williamsburg too). Also west is where John Brown attacked a US post trying to start a slave insurrection. We go to one or two battlefields on each trip east—still want to see Bull Run and the place of surrender (Appomattox). Annapolis is a nice town to visit and then you can cross to the Delmarva Pen.—and make sure you go to Delaware if you've never been there. You can drive the Shenandoah NP road and then continue south on the Blue Ridge Parkway. That'll keep you busy for a while. W. Va. is pretty, but avoid the potholed, bumpy WV Turnpike. I-70 starts on the west side of Baltimore and you can drive west on it to within 15 miles of my house.

Gene

Old 09-27-2015, 06:29 PM   #1427
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
South Carolina.

Hi, we made it to South Carolina. There we stayed with long time good friends and had a great time. We parked our truck and trailer in the club house parking lot and stayed in their house. They have a lovely house. Dusty thought he was back home in his house because of the floor plan, wood floors, and living room carpet. [but no doggy door] We went into town for lunch and we brought Dusty's wagon. He's getting more used to it now, but still wants to walk on his own.

We also had a great time visiting with Michelle and Rob; It's been so long since we have seen them too.

(1.) We actually got gas for less than $2.00 a few times on this trip.

(2.) Dusty feeling at home on the living room rug.

(3.) Dusty found out his parents were sleeping in the upstairs bedroom; He fell a sleep at the bottom of the stairs while waiting for us.

(4.) It took Bob and Charlie to pull Dusty in his wagon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000338.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	295.8 KB
ID:	249162   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000345.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	353.1 KB
ID:	249163  

Name:	P1000347.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	249164   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000356.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	372.2 KB
ID:	249165  

YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-27-2015, 06:49 PM   #1428
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
9-27-2015.

Hi, it was another long day on the road after another free night camping in a Wal-Mart parking lot. It was nice, quiet, and safe even though we were the only campers there. We drove at the speed limit most of the day; It was 70 MPH and we lost about 1/2 MPG doing it. No biggie. We later slowed down because of the rain. We are now in New Orleans, Louisiana. We are at a nice, high dollar camp ground right in the middle of town, and in walking distance to where all the action is.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-28-2015, 08:03 PM   #1429
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
9-28-2015.

Hi, today was a triple header. We started out going to a Sugar Cane Plantation. We had a Southern lunch there and toured the mansion. We also toured the slave homes. What a beautiful place this was. [not so much for the slaves]

Next, we crossed the World's longest bridge. [according to the lady in the tourist information building] It was 24 miles long, with two lanes each way. I commented that they didn't even charge us to cross this bridge; On the way back we had to pay $3.00 for our next 24 miles back towards our camp ground. we stopped for another tank of gas that was under $2.00 per gallon.

Then we were real daring and walked to the French Quarters to check out Bourbon Street. interesting to say the least, but not the most popular place for non-smokers and non-drinkers like us. We had dessert and later we shared a dinner. I have a headache from all of the smoke. Under advice from the camp ground, we had a Taxi bring us back home at night.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC00620.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	448.8 KB
ID:	249272   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00633.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	346.2 KB
ID:	249273  

Name:	DSC00624.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	386.9 KB
ID:	249274   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00679.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	249275  

Name:	DSC00685.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	249276  
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-29-2015, 07:17 PM   #1430
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
9-29-2015.

Hi, this morning we hitched up and set Caroline for Southern California. We did, and saw, all that we needed to do and see in New Orleans area. The camp ground was nice, convenient, and expensive. [about $100.00 per night] being close to the French Quarters was worth the price and I would recommend this place for anyone going to New Orleans. [Note: right across the street are two grave yards and people actually pay to tour them. [not us] Because of all of the water most of the roads are raised, but I guess, they are not considered as bridges. Also because of all of the water, all of the graves are above ground too. For some reason, I have never seen more vehicles with flat tires than in Louisiana.

We hit some rain today and the temps are higher here, like in the low nineties. Driving through Houston was like driving through Los Angelus, Many lanes and bumper to bumper traffic. Gas prices are still good in Texas. We paid $2.04, but saw some stations for less than $2.00 per gallon. We are spending the night in Brookshire, Texas. It's along way across Texas; We may, or may not, still be in Texas tomorrow.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-29-2015, 08:24 PM   #1431
Rivet Master

2017 25' International
Carlsbad , California
Travel safely. I've enjoyed following along.
DoublTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 10:15 PM   #1432
3 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Mobile , Alabama
Have enjoyed your trip so much. It's interesting to read someone else's view and opinions of an area and campgrounds.

And let us not forget the little guy Dusty...the kindness and care you both bestow on him is truly wonderful. We love our fur babies also.

May you have continued safe travels. Predeta
79nTOW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #1433
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoublTrouble View Post
Travel safely. I've enjoyed following along.
Hi, Thank You. We are winding down a bit as we head towards home, but it will still be weeks of traveling.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #1434
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Mobile, Alabama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79nTOW View Post
Have enjoyed your trip so much. It's interesting to read someone else's view and opinions of an area and campgrounds.

And let us not forget the little guy Dusty...the kindness and care you both bestow on him is truly wonderful. We love our fur babies also.

May you have continued safe travels. Predeta
Hi, Thank You; Dusty is getting anxiety and wants to go home to the big house. Charlie and Chris's house reminded him of our home. We drove through Mobile, Alabama as a tribute to my Mother who was born there.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #1435
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
9-30-2015.

Hi, we are still in Texas; Junction, Texas. we are following HWY 10 all of the way and it looks like a three day trip just to cross Texas. We ate at "What-A-Burger" and "Bucky's" because we don't have those at home. Bucky's had bill boards before we even crossed into Texas. We bought gas there too. Gas is now over $2.00 per gallon, but still a great deal for us. We paid $2.09 per gallon today. We also found a nice Ford dealer to change my oil. They did it quickly as we waited [I exchanged old Ford dealer stories with them] and they had plenty of room to turn around and unhook our trailer while my truck was being serviced.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-30-2015, 07:53 PM   #1436
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Wifi.

Hi, not very uncommon to me is using WIFI in the laundry room. But I'm also doing laundry so this works for me. Makes watching washers and dryers go by faster.

Dusty almost jumped out of our trailer today. I was taking out the trash and I had put Dusty's leash on him because he has been barking too much for mostly nothing lately and when he has his leash on, he's quiet/er. He followed me out the door and had one foot out when I caught him. He's not fast, but like a toddler, you really have to watch him. At another camp ground, I put him down on the ground without his leash. he usually won't get into trouble, but this time he ran across a huge ant hill and woke up a million tiny ants. Then before I could catch him, he went under the trailer, where it would have been difficult to get him out from under there. When he made it to one side I lasso'ed him and put him back inside of the trailer. At 18 years old, he is still capable of getting into trouble. My fault for not keeping him under control at all times. Luckily no-one got hurt.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-01-2015, 04:15 PM   #1437
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
If you'd stopped at one of the voodoo stores on Bourbon St., you'd have driven across Texas in minutes.

Gene

Old 10-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #1438
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
10-1-2015.

Hi, it took three days to cross Texas, but today we made it. We are now in Las Cruses, New Mexico. The camp ground looks like it's new or fairly new. It's clean and organized. It has side by side spaces, but they are only putting people into one side. Maybe when it's real busy, the side by sides will be filled. Possible head winds, mountains, and towing at 70 MPH killed our gas mileage today, but one or two bad days of mileage on a three month [so far] trip isn't too bad. My F-150 EcoBoost has no problem what-so-ever with power. Set the cruise control at 70 and we climb those mountains at 70. Handling has been good for most of the trip My tires have a MAX air pressure of 50 lbs and my door sticker says to run them at 40 lbs. I originally set my front tires at 40 lbs and my rear tires at 45 lbs. After my tire rotation, they left my tire pressures a bit low. While at a Wal-Mart, I asked if they would set my tire pressures for me. I had them put 40 lbs in the front and 50 lbs in the rear. Now we are handling like we should. With the lower tire pressure in the rear, I could feel a little push, in the rear, on turns. [over steer] In my trailer, my wall clock was coming loose. I used the tips from plastic floss sticks to make the screw holes tighter. We hit plenty of rough roads on this trip and something is going to give. Luckily, only a few things came loose and were fixed right away.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #1439
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
I run the Michelin LR E truck tires at 45 and 48 when towing and 3 lbs. less when not (if I remember to change it). Works fine and the wall clock (same one as yours) remains in place. I guess you are going straight west and I will not be able to entice you northward to the pleasant early fall weather here.

Gene

Old 10-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #1440
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Gene & Bob

Well the adventures are winding down....I've followed you both, vicarious substitution for sure, but it still beats the alternative.

A friend in the Early Ford V/8 Club just posted this...thought you'd enjoy.

Pikes Peak, Again - The Ford Barn

Bob