Old 05-29-2009, 11:46 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Thanks for taking me along on your trip. I had a great time.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 12:57 AM   #86
Bambi Hunter

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Los Angeles , California
Bob and Lee,

Thanks for the ride-along. Perhaps you'll share more road warrior stories @ Kernville?

The Can Clan

Old 05-30-2009, 08:00 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Yes, Bob, another thank you for taking us along. Lynn and I usually journey to a location and stay awhile. That means we take a lot of camping supplies which needs to be loaded....and unloaded! We had an awaking last February when we took our Trade Wind to Toscano's in Los Banos. (BTW a great Airstream service center). We stayed in our coach for 3 night's on their lot while 14' of aluminum was replaced. So there was no need to fill the aisles of the coach with additional stuff! THAT was nice. So perhaps you and Lee's travels will inspire us to do the same soon. The last time Lynn and I 'hit the road' togerther was about 20 years ago. ut I went crazy because I missed our then teenagers at home. Weeeell they ain't teens or at home any more.
Neil.
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 12:59 AM   #88
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Missing pictures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, today was the perfect day for an Airstream to get a bath; It was cool and overcast all day. So all traces of bugs are gone [as well as possible] and we are looking like a brand new trailer again. Backed into it's cozy parking spot awaiting it's next adventure.
Hi, here are the pictures that dissappeared from post #84.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0699 (Large).JPG
Views:	90
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	82509   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0702 (Large).JPG
Views:	110
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	82510  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2009, 08:31 AM   #89
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bob,

Just had a thought about the water heater kit to add the electric option. Would it be too much for a 30 amp trailer? With A/C/heat pump, microwave, etc., another resistance item might be more than the system is designed to handle. Does it have a manual switch or is it fully automatic, or automatic with manual option? I'm trying to think where a switch would go.

You re-posted pictures remind me we still haven't washed the Safari (or the truck, or the 4Runner).

Gene
Old 06-18-2009, 10:47 PM   #90
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Lightning Rod.

Hi, Gene. I think the draw on an electric water heater might be maginal so my idea was to run a separate power cord. The the second power cord would not really need a switch and the kit has it's own thermostat. There is a separate kit for the switch and receptical, but then you have to cut, drill, and find a place to mount everything. I want to keep it simple by bypassing the trailer's electrical system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Switch & Outlet.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	82575  
Attached Images

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 06-19-2009, 04:50 AM   #91
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Your scrubbed up buggy is beautiful! First thing Doug likes to do when we return from a long trip is a good handwash, debug and wax.
Old 06-19-2009, 08:27 AM   #92
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, that's too simple and elegant a solution for me. As I understand it there would be a 120 v. cable coming from the water heater to a 20 amp. receptacle next to the usual 30 amp. one at the campground. If it were me I would try to find a place for a button that lights up because I like things like that.

Lightning Rod is the kit for the water heater I presume. How much does the kit cost?

All you who wash your trailers as soon as you come home: you can wash mine if you're still needing to wash something. I'll supply water and soap.

Gene
Old 06-19-2009, 11:20 AM   #93
Site Team

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrawfordGene View Post

All you who wash your trailers as soon as you come home: you can wash mine if you're still needing to wash something. I'll supply water and soap.

Gene

Doug says "thanks, but no thanks".
Old 06-19-2009, 09:28 PM   #94
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Bob, that's too simple and elegant a solution for me. As I understand it there would be a 120 v. cable coming from the water heater to a 20 amp. receptacle next to the usual 30 amp. one at the campground. If it were me I would try to find a place for a button that lights up because I like things like that.

Lightning Rod is the kit for the water heater I presume. How much does the kit cost?

Gene
Hi, simple, that's what I mean. Plug in the 30 Amp and plug in the water heater on the same camp ground post. As for a light, I wish I had one for my water pump since I think the switch is backwards compared to the two other switches on the monitor panel. I think the Lightning Rod kit is about $100.00 and the switch kit about $60.00 or less? As for the trailer wash, you will have to bring your trailer to Lakewood and try your luck at getting it in my driveway. As for the waxing part, I don't wax my trailer.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 06-20-2009, 09:05 AM   #95
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, we, after 14,000 miles, still get confused whether the water pump is on or off. As for your driveway, I might take out part of your house so you'll have to wash it in the street. How do you wash it in that space—go inside, open the window, and throw buckets of water at the Safari?

I think your idea of adding an electric option to the water heater is a very good one. I'm not sure I want to go that route and it seems the water heater uses so little propane, it's not worth it to me. But I'll keep it in mind.

When's you next trip and where?

Gene
Old 06-20-2009, 03:11 PM   #96
1 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Newport Beach , California
You don't wax your trailer? You mean we don't have to wax? Yeehaw!

She's really shiny... What's your secret?

LOVED reading about your trip, thanks for sharing.

~Gay
Old 06-20-2009, 03:34 PM   #97
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanair View Post
Photoshop?

Gene
Old 06-20-2009, 09:39 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Bob, we, after 14,000 miles, still get confused whether the water pump is on or off. As for your driveway, I might take out part of your house so you'll have to wash it in the street. How do you wash it in that space—go inside, open the window, and throw buckets of water at the Safari?

I think your idea of adding an electric option to the water heater is a very good one. I'm not sure I want to go that route and it seems the water heater uses so little propane, it's not worth it to me. But I'll keep it in mind.

When's you next trip and where?

Gene
Hi, Gene. I have to pull my trailer forward to the edge of the sidewalk to be able to wash my trailer; After it's done I have to move it back next to my house. When I get my ideas all put together on how I want to do the water heater I will post how I did it. When in cold and high altitude areas my water heater has a hard time lighting and make noises in the middle of the night. Propane is cheap, but noisy at times. For now I turn the water heater off at night and back on in the morning. As for the next trip, I want to go to Colorado, maybe in July.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oceanair View Post
You don't wax your trailer? You mean we don't have to wax? Yeehaw!

LOVED reading about your trip, thanks for sharing.

~Gay
Hi, oceanair. My trailer gets washed with a good brand of automotive car wash, right now, I am using Meguires. I wash my trailer before trips and after trips and hose it off in-between. My trailer is outside all of the time. [not stored indoors] I use a soft wash mitt, and a synthetic chamois to dry it. I enjoyed sharing our trip.

Quote:
Photoshop?

Gene
Hi, Gene. No photoshop, it's the real deal. Invitation #1, Learn how to park in my driveway. Invitation #2 Experience how an Airstream door should open and close without slamming it. Invitation #3 See a five year old trailer that has never been waxed and still looks like new.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144