Old 05-28-2009, 08:32 AM   #71
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Thanks for taking us along on your trip. It's always great to take a trip in an Airstream, even if it's not our own.

Thanks again, and happy trails to you.

WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:11 AM   #72
Rivet Master

2017 28' International
Western , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, as we were going south on I-5 we ended up behind another Air Forums member from Oregon. It looked like the tow vehicle was a Cheverolet Avalanch and the trailer looked to be an International 25'er with rear twins. You have Oregon plates with George Sutton frames. You also had an Air Forums sticker in the middle of your rear window. You turned off towards Corvalles and we turned too, but we had to stop for gas.
That would be us! You were also pretty close to our trailer description....it's a 28' er CCD with rear queen bed. We were coming home from the Area 33 Forums rally on Memorial Day. That would have been about 2 pm or there abouts. We had been to the Oregon Unit rally the week before at Tumalo in Central Oregon. Had a great trip overall!

I guess we didn't see you were trailing us in your Airstream. Actually we saw lots of AS's on the road coming home.

2017 28' Signature CCD

2017 GMC Denali HD Crew Cab 4x4
Blue Ox Sway Pro Hitch

WBCCI #3538
jordandvm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:10 PM   #73
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Day seventeen............The end.

Hi, This morning we got up and ready for the last stretch of our trip. I asked our camp neighbors if they saw my Bear. They haven't seen him/her this morning, but Lee saw them messing with our snake. After doing our final tank rinse ritual, Lee and I were headed for home.
Partial re-cap: [and I don't mean tires] Before leaving home I installed my new Centramatics. I usually only check the lug nut torque once before each trip, but since I had removed all of my wheels, that meant a second torque re-check on the road. Only one lug nut turned, just barely, so we were good to go for the rest of our trip. Also I set my trailer tires at 65 lbs cold, at home, and never checked them again. Except for a visual look and a kick to each tire at each rest or gas stop. We had temps from 28 degrees at night in the campground to 101 degrees on the road. I made it home without any exploding tires, no broken axles, and no wheels fell off. I believe in getting it right before I hit the road and leaving things alone. I did get two new rock chips in my windsheild on this trip.
Lessons on the road: On very rough roads my bathroom, sliding storage cabinet doors sometimes jump off track. I will drill a hole and install a clevis pin to stop that. In high altitude combined with cold weather my water heater makes a popping noise a few times before it lights correctly. This is annoying. We decided to do one of two things or both. We now turn off the water heater at night and turn it back on in the morning. This works for us. I am concidering installing an electric heating element in my water heater for these situations. As for our remodeled living room, we couldn't be happier with how everything worked out for us, Much more user friendly.
As we drove through Missoula, Montana we waved to Michelle, but somehow we don't think she saw us. Yesterday we passed many miles of grape vines in Lodi, California; As we passed by, looking for Airstreams, we waved to Doorgunner Tim. I don't think he saw us either. And this morning after leaving Pyramid Lake we were driving through Valencia, California. Hi Milo & Karen, did you see us go by?

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:32 PM   #74
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
We waived. Didn't you see us?

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 11:38 PM   #75
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
The end continued.

Hi, we made it home in one piece and no repairs needed. I almost thought I was going to have fix my shower because in the cold areas the pressure was weak and had to be set almost as high as it would go, but in the warmer areas it worked as per design. And finally when we camped in hot weather my shower had to be set in the almost coldest setting. So I'm glad I didn't take anything apart. On this seventeen day adventure we spent close to $900.00 in gas, went close to 4,500 miles, and collected nearly a half million bugs. We had a great time on this trip and hope you enjoyed it too.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0694 (Large).JPG
Views:	82
Size:	61.7 KB
ID:	81077   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0697 (Large).JPG
Views:	84
Size:	55.9 KB
ID:	81078  

Name:	IMG_0695 (Large).JPG
Views:	79
Size:	90.7 KB
ID:	81083   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0696 (Large).JPG
Views:	75
Size:	87.3 KB
ID:	81084  

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-28-2009, 11:59 PM   #76
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
5.0 while we were gone.

Hi, I almost forgot to mention, when we got home, I saw a few things in our house that seemed to have moved. My wife and I looked around and noticed a few more things that were out of place. I talked to my brother and he said we missed a 5.0 earthquake while we were gone. [we missed that free ride]

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-29-2009, 08:44 AM   #77
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Fort Walton Beach , Florida
Great Trip Report

Bob,

We've been so busy with our own trip activities that I am way behind in my forum browsing. I finally got around to reading about your adventures today, and wanted to say it's been a great read......sounds like you guys had a wonderful trip. Thanks for taking the time to post.

We're still on the road for another nine days.

Chief

AIR # 22776
Chief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2009, 09:07 AM   #78
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Been following your trip and enjoying your posts! Glad you are home safely. Til the next time.
Old 05-29-2009, 09:21 AM   #79
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Dexer , Michigan
It was great tripping with you. Thank you for sharing!
TK
Old 05-29-2009, 09:42 AM   #80
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
Thanks for sharing all this with us - it takes a lot of work and time to keep us all posted and I sure enjoy it.

Pat
Old 05-29-2009, 09:47 AM   #81
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I enjoyed following your trip and it made me feel I was still on the road, but Chief and moosetags are still traveling, so I can continue deluding myself. We didn't have as many bugs since we were in colder places for the most part, spent roughly the same on gas and drove 5,250 miles. I never noticed any difference having the Centramatics on, but haven't checked tread depth yet to see if wear pattern has changed.

We turn off our water heater when we aren't going to use it, and that means before the last time we need hot water in the evening. The water stays hot for a very long time. When we turn it off in the morning, and stop in early afternoon for lunch, there's still some hot water to wash hands or whatever—not really hot, but good enough. I'll do anything to save propane since RV parks charge from about 40 to 100% more than I pay to have it delivered at home. Never have had a problem with the water heater lighting, but ours is newer. Propane (and natural gas) appliances are supposed to have larger orifices for the gas the higher you are in altitude, but the appliances in the trailer always have the same orifice and seem to work anyway. A little dirt caught there could affect you at altitude and not a sea level, so maybe a cleaning is all that is necessary. Another version of the water heater (I think it's standard on Classics) comes with an an electric element option—operates automatically when 120 is available, like the refrigerator. There may be a kit to convert to two-way operation. I'll be looking to see if you do the conversion so I can find out if it works for us (you may need a dedicated 120 v. breaker for the water heater, so this may be more of a job than it's worth). I think electrically heated hot water takes about twice as long to heat as with propane, but the campground is paying for the electricity. I think the reason the showers aren't as hot is the water heater works less efficiently at altitude, not because it's cold out. I noticed the water was less hot on parts of our trip, but didn't think it through, so your experience has made me think. Thinking is good.

Gene
Old 05-29-2009, 08:30 PM   #82
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Thanks for taking us along.

Randy and Patty Bowman
Old 05-29-2009, 09:00 PM   #83
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hot Rod water heater.

Hi, Gene. My thought at this time for the water heater is to buy the kit, but instead of wiring it into my trailer's system, I plan to just run a separate, outside, 120 volt / 15 amp cord. This way I can plug in my 30 amp cord for the trailer and, in most cases, I can plug the 15 amp water heater cord right next to it in the same box. Seems that most campsights have 50/30/15 amp recepticals in the same box. If I find that the box only has a 30 amp receptical, then I can run the 15 amp cord under my trailer and plug it into my trailer's outside receptical.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 05-29-2009, 11:41 PM   #84
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
De-Bugged.

Hi, today was the perfect day for an Airstream to get a bath; It was cool and overcast all day. So all traces of bugs are gone [as well as possible] and we are looking like a brand new trailer again. Backed into it's cozy parking spot awaiting it's next adventure.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0699 (Large).JPG
Views:	0
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	81147   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0702 (Large).JPG
Views:	0
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	81148  

2005 Safari 25-B