Old 08-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #561
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
Bob.. its nice to see you frequenting a local dealer and helping out the economy. Might as well get a major service while your at it.. afterall the Lincoln has been working hard.. doesnt it deserve the best?

lol

Love the Volvo diesel. They have one of those big dogs at the Volvo factory museum. Its taller than I am.

Like the old ford tractor too.

This is a trip of a life time!

Cheers Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 10:57 PM   #562
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Bob, your Lincoln, the Safari and a million or so and you can have a Marathon. No sweat, but maybe the used one will do.

I thought you'd be home by now, but I'm enjoying your trip down the coast—we like the coast and Alaska, so many good memories.

While you are in Oregon, you might look for a Pendleton store that has the factory seconds. We got our home and Airstream bedspreads from them. There's one in Lincoln (sounds familiar) City on the ocean. Great pizza in Gualala, Cal., at Upper Crust Pizza. But maybe you'll randomly decide to see the Atlantic too.

Gene

Old 08-15-2011, 11:59 PM   #563
Commercial Member

2014 23' FB International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Send a message via Yahoo to Airslide
[QUOTE=CrawfordGene;1032838]Bob, your Lincoln, the Safari and a million or so and you can have a Marathon. No sweat, but maybe the used one will do.

I thought you'd be home by now, but I'm enjoying your trip down the coast—we like the coast and Alaska, so many good memories.

While you are in Oregon, you might look for a Pendleton store that has the factory seconds. We got our home and Airstream bedspreads from them. There's one in Lincoln (sounds familiar) City on the ocean. Great pizza in Gualala, Cal., at Upper Crust Pizza. But maybe you'll randomly decide to see the Atlantic too.

Gene

Bob.. you wont make it to Jackson in time if you choose this option

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 12:28 AM   #564
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Atlantic?

Hi, Atlantic? Well this will be another chapter and probably without my Famous Lincoln. New, or newer tow vehicles, have been discussed. The Lincoln is old and somewhat tired, as a tow vehicle. I wouldn't want to use a brand new or slightly used tow vehicle for this trip. The Lincoln worked hard for us and isn't afraid of getting a few new dings. We haven't decided on anything yet, but Jackson Rancheria might be the last tow job for the Lincoln. [or not] Time will tell.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #565
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Day 47. Top Secret!

Hi, today we took the tour at the Monaco motorhome factory. This tour took about two hours. To take this tour, you had to show picture identification, read the rules, fill out a form, wear safety glasses, wear a name tag with your picture on it, and leave all cameras in your car. The Monaco factory is right across the street from the Marathon factory. Unlike the Marathon factory, the Monaco factory was in full production. Their new 2012 motorhomes are aero-dynamic and wind tunnel tested. They are not fiberglass boxes, bus conversions, or truck chassis conversions. Monaco makes everything from the ground, up, including the frames. Their operation is very interesting and their product is very well made. We saw a 35'er that we liked. Monaco is moving this operation to Elkhart, Indiana by the end of this year, so if you want to take the tour, you better hurry to Eugene, Oregon.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-16-2011, 11:21 PM   #566
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
No pictures today.

Hi, sorry, but Monaco doesn't allow any pictures of their factory or of their new 2012 motorhomes. They are really nice looking and different. This evening the Ford dealer called me and said that my Lincoln was ready to go. After buying my Navigator back, I bought a few supplies and a tank of gas on my way back to the camp ground. All 300 horses have been hitched to the Safari so we can move again tomorrow morning. It's been pretty hot here for the last few days. It was close to 90 degrees today. Boo-Boo wasn't allowed to ride in the rental car, so he had to stay in the air conditioned Safari for two days. [rental company said that if the returned car smelld like a dog and/or had dog hair in it, it would cost us another $100.00 for cleaning.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-18-2011, 09:19 AM   #567
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Day 48.

Hi, yesterday we said Goodbye to Oregon. On the way out of Oregon and into California, My Lincoln had to pull some more grades. And if that wasn't enough, we drove through some high temps too. Yesterday's high reached 101 degrees. We also went through our last check point coming into California. A few questions and a "have A nice trip" from the check point person. As you can already tell this random trip is almost over. We will make one more stop off for the night and do our final tank flushing there, then head for home. We spent the night at Almond Grove Mobile Home Park; It is a small mobile home/RV park in a rice farming area. They have about six nice spots saved for travelers. We stayed here before and like it. It's in a little old town, quiet, but hot. We were going to leave the air conditioner on all night, but the power went out early in the morning. By then it was cool enough to use our vents to keep cool. I only took three pictures yesterday and here they are.

(1.) Some Long Horn Steers, behind the camp ground.

(2.) I don't know if this one was posing or getting ready to attack.

(3.) Our very nice, simple, and clean pull through.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5582-25.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	146.3 KB
ID:	138023   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5583-25.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	155.5 KB
ID:	138024  

Name:	IMG_5584-25.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	114.3 KB
ID:	138025  

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-18-2011, 09:42 AM   #568
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, sorry, but Monaco doesn't allow any pictures of their factory or of their new 2012 motorhomes. They are really nice looking and different. This evening the Ford dealer called me and said that my Lincoln was ready to go. After buying my Navigator back, I bought a few supplies and a tank of gas on my way back to the camp ground. All 300 horses have been hitched to the Safari so we can move again tomorrow morning. It's been pretty hot here for the last few days. It was close to 90 degrees today. Boo-Boo wasn't allowed to ride in the rental car, so he had to stay in the air conditioned Safari for two days. [rental company said that if the returned car smelld like a dog and/or had dog hair in it, it would cost us another $100.00 for cleaning.
Hi Bob, we toured the Monaco factory last fall. We were traveling with a friend who had just bought a used Safari by Monaco. He wanted to see the factory so in we went. They seem to be building a nice coach with many improvements after being taken overInternational Navistar. While waiting for the tour a guy came walking across the street from the Marathon lot and wanted to see the Airstream. I thought it was pretty funny as we parked right in front of the Monaco factory. Even better they let us camp there for the night.

Safe travels, Dan
Old 08-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #569
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Welcome home Bob and Lee Lee and of course Dusty. Will we get to meet Dusty at Jackson? We want to compliment him for being such a good travel companion. I hope when he is finally in your Lakewood home he doesn't become un-nerved that the house lacks 'road noise' and movement.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 05:40 PM   #570
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
Hi Bob, we toured the Monaco factory last fall. We were traveling with a friend who had just bought a used Safari by Monaco. He wanted to see the factory so in we went. They seem to be building a nice coach with many improvements after being taken overInternational Navistar. While waiting for the tour a guy came walking across the street from the Marathon lot and wanted to see the Airstream. I thought it was pretty funny as we parked right in front of the Monaco factory. Even better they let us camp there for the night.

Safe travels, Dan
Bob and the Gang
I posted on the wrong thread but it looked good on there also ..and sorry to them for the intrusion..
Thanks for the support and kind wishes
Ill be catching up on your Journey over the weekend
Love TC & The Gang
Old 08-18-2011, 07:01 PM   #571
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Day 49.

Hi, today we made it to our final camp ground before going home. The day started out cooler, but reached a high of 100 degrees today; Only 1 degree less than yesterday. We decided to stay at Pismo Sands RV Park tonight. The camp ground set-up is sort-of circular and there are six streets with names. Airstream Ln. / Monaco Blvd. / Safari Dr. / Fleetwood Dr. / Prevost Ln. / and Winnebago Dr. We were put in space number 52 on Prevost Ln. Just up the road from us, at the Pismo Coast RV Park, is Sky River RV / Airstream dealer. I would like to check it out, but it is too far to walk and I'm not un-hitching the Lincoln until we get home. Neil we were thinking about how Dusty [Boo-Boo] would act when we get home; Grandpa's house had carpet everywhere and our house has Oak Hard wood floors. Dusty hasn't yet got used to the wood floors and sometimes while just standing in one place, his feet would slip out from under him. It doesn't seem to hurt him, but he is so close to the floor that he doesn't drop much. [short legs] Dusty plans on going to Jackson Rancheria, if all goes well.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #572
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Rockford , Michigan
Love, love love your travel journal...discovered this thread while looking for information for our upcoming South Dakota trip. I found your postings from 2009. Then I had to go back to page 1 & read all of your posts on this thread. Wish I had found this thread before buying all the books on RVing across America....could have saved some $. Anyway, just had to say "thanks" for the good info & great pictures.
Old 08-19-2011, 11:24 PM   #573
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by dowpells View Post
Love, love love your travel journal...discovered this thread while looking for information for our upcoming South Dakota trip. I found your postings from 2009. Then I had to go back to page 1 & read all of your posts on this thread. Wish I had found this thread before buying all the books on RVing across America....could have saved some $. Anyway, just had to say "thanks" for the good info & great pictures.

Hi, dowpells. I'm glad you found our thread and got some useful information from it. The dog in your Avatar looks a bit Like dusty.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 08-19-2011, 11:42 PM   #574
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Day 50.

Hi, this morning we left Pismo Sands RV Park. I wasn't too sure about this place because it wasn't close to the beach. [walking distance] But it is well organized, clean, and the WIFI was great. I can't say that about too many places. They even let people wash their vehicles and when we were leaving, there was a crew of guys washing someones RV. We needed some more gas for the Lincoln and we had to stop in Santa Barbara to get it. The gas station was tight and the cars kept moving around. One of them parked right in front of me just before I was ready to leave. She noticed that I needed to get out and moved her car. Even then, getting out was tight, you know, I don't want to scratch their poles with my trailer. I'm getting better at tight places and making a turn around when we missed our turn. On the way up to Alaska, we stopped off at a Costco and decided that we should buy a navigation devise. We bought a Garmin NUVI 1490 LMT. We use it with a female voice. I wouldn't have it any other way. We named her Georgette. Her full name is Princess Georgette. She got this name because she was purchased at a Costco in Prince George, Canada. I think she is a Blonde because she either couldn't find our destination or tried to steer us in the wrong direction. In some places she was able to help us a lot, Lee Lee said that we can keep her. Any way, we are now at home, and have so much stuff to do. Owning a house to come home to is kind of nice, but we need to simplify our lives. Maybe it's time to sell this house and full time. Dusty servived, about a 10,000 to 11,000 mile trip and isn't lost in our house at all.

(1.) A nice 34' AVION in the camp ground in Williams. Seems like most of the AVIONs that i see are in nice condition and most of them are 34'ers.

(2.) One of the street signs at Pismo sands RV Park.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5585RS.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	386.3 KB
ID:	138194   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5586RS.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	138195  

2005 Safari 25-B