Old 07-05-2011, 09:15 PM   #393
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Another rest stop today.

Hi, of course one rest stop per day is not enough; This one was very woodsy. [is that correct?] Such a nice place, but no-one else was there. We had the whole place to ourselves. I saw three interesting signs there and the one about dogs was somewhat confusing; Can Dusty go there or not?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4527RS.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	322.3 KB
ID:	134070   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4528RS.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	134071  

Name:	IMG_4529RS.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	134072   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4530RS.jpg
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	134073  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 12:08 AM   #394
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I forgot to mention the name of today's camp ground; It's "BEE LAZEE RV Park" in Prince George, BC. Pretty nice place and the price is fair. But as usual, I had to complain to them that the WIFI wasn't working. They said that they would re-boot the system and it should work and it did. I don't know if this is really true or if they make it as weak as possible and only turn it up when someone complains. I do know that it has been working ever since I complained. I always ask the people if the WIFI will work from my space or do I need a space closer to their office. So far, in over six years, and only on this trip, was I told the truth. I was told WIFI would only work close to the office and not in any of the camping spaces. Today when I went to the only bank in town to trade Dollars for Dollars, the lady was very nice and spent a lot of time telling me about traveling in this area. This would never happen in a big city bank. Also at the gas station today, this lady walked up to my Lincoln and signaled me to roll down my window; She said, to me, that she hasn't seen an Airstream for several years and "Do they still make those?" I know most of you won't believe that last question, but it is true.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-06-2011, 01:25 PM   #395
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Like you, Bob, we ask about wifi hoping to get better reception. Often we are placed next to the office with clear line of sight to their possibly one router. It doesn't always work. I can sympathize with them because the use of the service keeps going up with gamers, movie downloads and such. They can't keep up and in a lot of towns the techs who work on this can't figure it out either. After being understanding, I then stop being understanding and wish they would get it right. Some don't have the sense to just put a router up high for better line-of-sight. Ones who do it best have antennas all over the campground way up on poles

Pr. George—you are moving right along. Three directions to go— (1) west to Terrace, Cassiar Hwy, Pr. Rupert, ferries to Alaska or south, (2) north to Alaska Hwy, (3) east to Jasper. All are good choices, but I'd bet on #3. In Jasper there's RV parking off the south side of the main drag across the RR tracks. There was a lot of construction last year, but it should be done by now.

Gene
Old 07-06-2011, 02:46 PM   #396
Lili Lettice Leatherby

1982 28' Airstream 280
MIDDLE ENGLAND , The Cottage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, I forgot to mention the name of today's camp ground; It's "BEE LAZEE RV Park" in Prince George, BC. Pretty nice place :
Im loving tagging along..BeeWarBeeFloating !
It does help if your in the right year ..I just realised Ive been reading from
The year dot when you first started..was it 2009 ??
no wonder I get lost in car parks..Hey..we went to the multi storey where I wandered around with the security guards for 3 hours looking for my car..I said to Hans what floor we on..he said 5 ..he fell for it too..
He said why the hell have they got a 5 for mph near where we walk..it looks like floor 5 !!
its mph but theyve just printed a 5..We were on Floor 3 ..I know these things..I'm aware..BeeWare..
Enjoy your trip..Im away at the weekend Hans is whisking me away to keep me out of mischief..Big Vehicles..
Military ones ..I took you there last year...Hey I like VW transporters do they sell them in the States ??? do they pull Airstreams ??? do they ..do they ??
2.5 ltr..I think any less wouldnt pull the wings off a Bee..BeeWareBeeFloating
Cheerios to you 3 Hope Dusty BooBoo is feeling better..see thee anon
Old 07-06-2011, 07:01 PM   #397
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Day 6.

Hi, this morning we woke up to the sounds of a hungry dog; Dusty starts with a low moan sort of noise and gradually ups it to a normal bark. Dusty's way of saying, "you better feed me now" and he wins. We needed a few supplies from the local market and a Wal-Mart. Oh, and we also had to stop at a Costco too. About time we got going, it was almost lunch time. I missed two rest stops today because they have a little blue sign that usually says "Rest stop 400 Meters" and by time I figuer out where 400 meters should be, we missed another one. We had some decent rain today and were hoping that it would wash my Lincoln and Safari, but with the red dirt on the street and the big rigs flying passed us my vehicles got worse. Now we are at Glacier View RV Park in Smithers, BC. And we actually have a great view. And because you are able to read this, you know that I have a good WIFI connection here.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4531RS.jpg
Size:	319.7 KB
ID:	134127  

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-06-2011, 08:02 PM   #398
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
My prediction was wrong, you went west. That area is a beautiful valley. Looks like a glacier between the two peaks. 400 meters is about a quarter mile.

When you get to the junction of the Cassiar Hwy (unless you surprise me again), 2.7 miles north is the town of Kitwanga. Off the Cassiar to the east, a road through the town passes a group of totem poles. The tradition with totem poles is to let them fade, rot and fall down, not keep repainting and preserving them. In Kitwanga that is what they do, so these are authentic.

Gene
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1010004.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	134135  
Old 07-06-2011, 08:16 PM   #399
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, although we decide as we go, with no real plans; And sometimes we have an idea of what and where we want to go, but we might change our minds. And we don't make any reservations on or before our random trips. Therefore they are truly random trips. Also mother nature alters where we go too. Even though all of our followers know that we are hard headed and daring, we still manage to get somewhere and back home. This is a picture of what mother nature has done to make us change directions and the only way to defie her would be to put wings on my Lincoln and Safari.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	99074BCLN2007hwy97washout5.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	197.9 KB
ID:	134137  

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-06-2011, 08:41 PM   #400
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Bob, you may be one side of the curve on planning. One member (he knows who he is) has a looseleaf started the year before a trip, reservations done long before they leave, and does not seem to be psychotic. I do a lot of reading, can plan a long trip in several hours and fill in the rest later, but I do a lot of planning. I try not to get too obsessive, but it is difficult. We are all different and random is good, though somewhat unsettling to me.

Ahead of you is the Cassiar. Take it all the way to Yukon and it is a beautiful drive. Not too far up the road, there is a spur west to Stewart. It is a pleasant and clean Canadian town. Across the border is Hyder, the other Alaskan town you can drive too in Southeast Alaska. It look pretty end of the road. Down the road from Hyder, there's a bear viewing area, though this may be the wrong time of year, and then the rod goes up to a good glacier view. Stewart had a toaster museum that became a cafe that may still be there and may still have toasters. I don't know about CG's around there because we were there before Airstream.

Pr. Rupert is also a nice city by the water. Before you get there, Kitimat is on a spur south and not to far along is the North Port Pacific Cannery. It's a museum and was still being developed when we were there, but that is quite a few years ago now. It was interesting.

Gene
Old 07-08-2011, 07:27 PM   #401
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
I guess Bob and Lee Lee have circled around the backside of the moon. Transmission has temporarily interrupted. I can't wait for the pictures.

Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:40 PM   #402
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Got WIFI again.

Hi, yesterday we made it to Iskut, BC. We had a nice lakeside view. None of the camp grounds are busy, so we get right in. This works well for the way we travel. Gas is, as expected, very expensive and some places only have regular. I have run my Lincoln on regular to see how it worked and I can't tell any difference. [no pinging either] I wasn't going to tow while using regular, but now some times I don't have a choice. When you travel over two hundred miles to the next gas station and regular and Diesel is all they have, You buy regular. [with blood] Literally, while pumping your gas with very slow pumps, the mosquitoes are eating you alive. This gas station was in "Bell" and it was the only business there. Ice cream bars were $5.00 each. In California if it was this cold the mosquitoes would die, but here they are alive and doing well. One tank of gas cost me $150.00 for regular and it will be adjusted upward by my bank. I wasn't expecting to run into gravel roads until farther north, but we did and I had to protect the front of my trailer. Yesterday's camp ground was called "Red Goat Camp Ground" and the lake view there was also great.

(1.) My gas bill for one tank.

(2.) Following the Pilot vehicle through the gravel.

(3.) Our space last night.

(4.) Lake view behind our trailer.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4541RS.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	134304   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4538RS.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	134305  

Name:	IMG_4548RS.jpg
Size:	520.4 KB
ID:	134306   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4549RS.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	291.7 KB
ID:	134307  

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-08-2011, 09:57 PM   #403
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Day 8.

Hi, today we had another scenic drive from British Columbia to Yukon. We saw a few more bears today. Forgot to mention that we saw a few bears yesterday too. But today we were lucky enough to get a few pictures of one of the bears. We hit quite a few areas of gravel roads and you can hear the rocks bouncing inside of my wheel wells on the Lincoln. Hope our trailer doesn't get dinged too bad. There are several areas of burned out forest and people are [illegaly] parked on the side of the road and they are running into the burned area and coming back to their cars with something they found. We were curious and stopped where a family was camped to ask them what was going on. It seems that, one year after a forest fire, some special mushrooms apear. People collect them and the natives sell them to a retailer. Lee bought some from the natives directly. I buy gas now when and where available and don't even look at the prices anymore. And I'm running regular. Lee Lee, Dusty, and I are having a great time while living a new adventure every day. Today we are staying at Dawson Peaks Resort in Teslin, Yukon, Canada.

(1.) Picture of a bear that Lee spotted. I stopped because no-one was behind us, so Lee could take the pictures and he crossed the Hwy in front of my Lincoln.

(2.) Lee Lee buying wild mushrooms from the locals.

(3.) YUKON sign.

(4.) Dusty , under the table waiting for ooops, but there weren't any, so he had to settle for his food.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4563RS.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	134308   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4555RS.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	436.7 KB
ID:	134309  

Name:	IMG_4558crop.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	240.1 KB
ID:	134310   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4567RS.jpg
Size:	288.2 KB
ID:	134311  

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-08-2011, 10:22 PM   #404
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Armored Airstream.

Hi, yesterday right after our first bout with the gravel roads, we stopped at the next available rest stop to give the front of our trailer a sponge bath, so we could install my pre-cut chrome bubble insulation, to hopefully protect my trailer from flying rocks. It was very difficult to do because the trailer got really dirty and the mosquitoes came out in massive forces. I used Red Stucco tape because it will come off with out leaving the glue behind. With the wind and rain, some of the Red Stucco tape came loose, so I had to bring out the dreaded Duct tape. Do I suffer from Duct tape glue or hundreds of rock dings? I'm gambling on this and hope I win most of the battle. This is a once in a life time trip and if I get some damage.......Oh well!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_4539RS.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	381.3 KB
ID:	134312   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4540RS.jpg
Size:	415.3 KB
ID:	134313  

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 07-08-2011, 11:37 PM   #405
4slice

1977 31' Sovereign
Chase , British Columbia
I've been driving from Prince George to Vanderhoof every day for the last month or so. I believe I saw you drive through Vanderhoof on Hwy 16 in the early afternoon as I was going to the local doughnut shop drive-thru for a coffee. I was checking out the A/S--my co-workers were oblivious (they don't appreciate fine aluminum!). Enjoy your trip
Old 07-09-2011, 05:19 AM   #406
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Thanks for the trip reports, I find the narrative very interesting. I like the bubble protection good idea and the price is right.

Jim

1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote