Old 09-28-2015, 08:03 PM   #1429
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
9-28-2015.

Hi, today was a triple header. We started out going to a Sugar Cane Plantation. We had a Southern lunch there and toured the mansion. We also toured the slave homes. What a beautiful place this was. [not so much for the slaves]

Next, we crossed the World's longest bridge. [according to the lady in the tourist information building] It was 24 miles long, with two lanes each way. I commented that they didn't even charge us to cross this bridge; On the way back we had to pay $3.00 for our next 24 miles back towards our camp ground. we stopped for another tank of gas that was under $2.00 per gallon.

Then we were real daring and walked to the French Quarters to check out Bourbon Street. interesting to say the least, but not the most popular place for non-smokers and non-drinkers like us. We had dessert and later we shared a dinner. I have a headache from all of the smoke. Under advice from the camp ground, we had a Taxi bring us back home at night.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00620.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	448.8 KB
ID:	249272   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00633.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	346.2 KB
ID:	249273  

Name:	DSC00624.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	386.9 KB
ID:	249274   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00679.jpg
Views:	45
Size:	183.4 KB
ID:	249275  

Name:	DSC00685.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	202.7 KB
ID:	249276  

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2015, 07:17 PM   #1430
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
9-29-2015.

Hi, this morning we hitched up and set Caroline for Southern California. We did, and saw, all that we needed to do and see in New Orleans area. The camp ground was nice, convenient, and expensive. [about $100.00 per night] being close to the French Quarters was worth the price and I would recommend this place for anyone going to New Orleans. [Note: right across the street are two grave yards and people actually pay to tour them. [not us] Because of all of the water most of the roads are raised, but I guess, they are not considered as bridges. Also because of all of the water, all of the graves are above ground too. For some reason, I have never seen more vehicles with flat tires than in Louisiana.

We hit some rain today and the temps are higher here, like in the low nineties. Driving through Houston was like driving through Los Angelus, Many lanes and bumper to bumper traffic. Gas prices are still good in Texas. We paid $2.04, but saw some stations for less than $2.00 per gallon. We are spending the night in Brookshire, Texas. It's along way across Texas; We may, or may not, still be in Texas tomorrow.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-29-2015, 08:24 PM   #1431
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB International
Carlsbad , California
Travel safely. I've enjoyed following along.
Old 09-29-2015, 10:15 PM   #1432
3 Rivet Member

1979 29' Ambassador
Mobile , Alabama
Have enjoyed your trip so much. It's interesting to read someone else's view and opinions of an area and campgrounds.

And let us not forget the little guy Dusty...the kindness and care you both bestow on him is truly wonderful. We love our fur babies also.

May you have continued safe travels. Predeta
Old 09-30-2015, 07:24 PM   #1433
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoublTrouble View Post
Travel safely. I've enjoyed following along.
Hi, Thank You. We are winding down a bit as we head towards home, but it will still be weeks of traveling.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-30-2015, 07:32 PM   #1434
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Mobile, Alabama.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79nTOW View Post
Have enjoyed your trip so much. It's interesting to read someone else's view and opinions of an area and campgrounds.

And let us not forget the little guy Dusty...the kindness and care you both bestow on him is truly wonderful. We love our fur babies also.

May you have continued safe travels. Predeta
Hi, Thank You; Dusty is getting anxiety and wants to go home to the big house. Charlie and Chris's house reminded him of our home. We drove through Mobile, Alabama as a tribute to my Mother who was born there.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-30-2015, 07:40 PM   #1435
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
9-30-2015.

Hi, we are still in Texas; Junction, Texas. we are following HWY 10 all of the way and it looks like a three day trip just to cross Texas. We ate at "What-A-Burger" and "Bucky's" because we don't have those at home. Bucky's had bill boards before we even crossed into Texas. We bought gas there too. Gas is now over $2.00 per gallon, but still a great deal for us. We paid $2.09 per gallon today. We also found a nice Ford dealer to change my oil. They did it quickly as we waited [I exchanged old Ford dealer stories with them] and they had plenty of room to turn around and unhook our trailer while my truck was being serviced.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 09-30-2015, 07:53 PM   #1436
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Wifi.

Hi, not very uncommon to me is using WIFI in the laundry room. But I'm also doing laundry so this works for me. Makes watching washers and dryers go by faster.

Dusty almost jumped out of our trailer today. I was taking out the trash and I had put Dusty's leash on him because he has been barking too much for mostly nothing lately and when he has his leash on, he's quiet/er. He followed me out the door and had one foot out when I caught him. He's not fast, but like a toddler, you really have to watch him. At another camp ground, I put him down on the ground without his leash. he usually won't get into trouble, but this time he ran across a huge ant hill and woke up a million tiny ants. Then before I could catch him, he went under the trailer, where it would have been difficult to get him out from under there. When he made it to one side I lasso'ed him and put him back inside of the trailer. At 18 years old, he is still capable of getting into trouble. My fault for not keeping him under control at all times. Luckily no-one got hurt.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-01-2015, 04:15 PM   #1437
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
If you'd stopped at one of the voodoo stores on Bourbon St., you'd have driven across Texas in minutes.

Gene
Old 10-01-2015, 08:49 PM   #1438
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
10-1-2015.

Hi, it took three days to cross Texas, but today we made it. We are now in Las Cruses, New Mexico. The camp ground looks like it's new or fairly new. It's clean and organized. It has side by side spaces, but they are only putting people into one side. Maybe when it's real busy, the side by sides will be filled. Possible head winds, mountains, and towing at 70 MPH killed our gas mileage today, but one or two bad days of mileage on a three month [so far] trip isn't too bad. My F-150 EcoBoost has no problem what-so-ever with power. Set the cruise control at 70 and we climb those mountains at 70. Handling has been good for most of the trip My tires have a MAX air pressure of 50 lbs and my door sticker says to run them at 40 lbs. I originally set my front tires at 40 lbs and my rear tires at 45 lbs. After my tire rotation, they left my tire pressures a bit low. While at a Wal-Mart, I asked if they would set my tire pressures for me. I had them put 40 lbs in the front and 50 lbs in the rear. Now we are handling like we should. With the lower tire pressure in the rear, I could feel a little push, in the rear, on turns. [over steer] In my trailer, my wall clock was coming loose. I used the tips from plastic floss sticks to make the screw holes tighter. We hit plenty of rough roads on this trip and something is going to give. Luckily, only a few things came loose and were fixed right away.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-02-2015, 07:18 PM   #1439
Rivet Master

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
I run the Michelin LR E truck tires at 45 and 48 when towing and 3 lbs. less when not (if I remember to change it). Works fine and the wall clock (same one as yours) remains in place. I guess you are going straight west and I will not be able to entice you northward to the pleasant early fall weather here.

Gene
Old 10-02-2015, 07:27 PM   #1440
CLOUDSPLITTER Phone home

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Gene & Bob

Well the adventures are winding down....I've followed you both, vicarious substitution for sure, but it still beats the alternative.

A friend in the Early Ford V/8 Club just posted this...thought you'd enjoy.

Pikes Peak, Again - The Ford Barn

Bob

ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 07:57 PM   #1441
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Good Deed again.

Hi, I forgot to mention this, but a few days ago while we were at a rest stop something strange was going on. There were about five or six young people in a Honda mini van. They talked to an old man in a pick-up truck who was parked in front of them. The old man stuck a clear plastic hose in his truck's filler neck and sucked on it, but nothing came out. Also we didn't see any gas cans to catch the gas. We guessed that the young people might be out of gas, but they drove in there. Lee said that we should help them. I asked them if there was a problem with their car and they said they were out of gas. I said that I saw them drive in. They said their gas gauge said that they only had five miles left and we were out in the middle of no-where. Hey that's how my trip first started out. They were all on their cell phones trying to call AAA, Mom, or Dad. I told them that AAA might take more than an hour to come out with some gas. I told them that I had a gas can with about 2 1/2 gallons in it. [they could have for $100.00] JUST KIDDING. I gave them the gas and poured it in for them. They offered me money and I said no. They offered me some snacks and a cold drink too, but I told them that I have all that I need in my trailer. I told them that I knew what it was like to be in the middle of no-where and virtually out of gas. I even offered to follow them to the next gas station to make sure that they made it.

Strange things happen when I take my "Nice Guy pills"

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
Old 10-02-2015, 08:14 PM   #1442
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
10-2-2015.

Hi, this morning we left the camp ground and headed to Wal-Mart for water bottles and other goodies. We drove through the rest of New Mexico and into Arizona. Speed limits were from 65 MPH to 75 MPH and we mostly did 70. Temps got as high as 100 today. Traffic in Phoenix area was horrible, just like L.A. We got through all of this and found a camp ground in Tonopah, Arizona. This is as far as we got today. We arrived at 4:30 PM and the office was already closed. They have a list of sights that are for over nighters. We had to find the space we wanted, fill out the form, add money, and drive truck and trailer back to the office to put it in the mail slot. Then drive back to our space and get hooked up. At 97 degrees, I wasn't going to walk from the chosen space to the office and back. [about one mile total]

Lee has been helping with the driving as long as it is on the open road; Today after she took over we hit mountains and wind. Lee handled it well. The F-150 helps too with it's automatic down shifting transmission.

2005 Safari 25-B
[ Small Silver Castle ]
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144