Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 31' Sovereign
2000 33' Land Yacht
Ball Ground , Georgia
Blueridge Parkway question

I would like to plan a trip on the Blueridge Parkway from Cherokee NC to Boone NC. Can I pull my 31 foot Airstream with a 2500 GMC without concerns of height requirements or too narrow roads. Anything I need to watch out for? It seems that several camp grounds do not take reservation so what are the odds to get there around five or six and find a place to park or do I go elsewhere even out of the way for a sure spot?

Gene and Elaine Thomason
Ball Ground Ga.
1976 31 foot Sovereign
2011 GMC 2500HD Denali
6.6 Duramax Diesel
AL’ UM- MONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:10 AM   #2
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
No prob with the size of your rig and the power of your truck It is similar to mine and I take that trip pretty often.

Camping spots are sometimes tough for me. Not in the larger campgrounds, such as Big Meadows or Linville Falls. Smaller ones, such as Rocky Knob, have only a few that will accommodate.

So, not sure about the Southernmost part of your trip, but you should have no problems with Linville Falls or Moses Cone (which is right at Boone).

Have a great trip. Be sure to be cautious about bicyclists heading uphill. Sometimes you will have to wait behind them all the way up - but you don't want to take a chance on being caught on the wrong side of the road when someone comes from the other direction. Just enjoy the journey. Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
I've taken my 25 footer on the BRP several times. No problem. Speed limit is 45 mph, so watch it. I don't know specifically about the stretch you're contemplating, but many areas are loaded with campgrounds, and there are also lots of scenic overlooks where you could probably nap for an hour, though not during the height of the season.

Paula
Old 05-13-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 31' Land Yacht
Central , Florida
Two things about your requirements, too late in day for stopping and you don't say the day of the week you are traveling. Sun to Thursday easier than Friday and Sat to find empty spaces. When we were in a small van no problem, but 31 is harder to park in spaces that were originally designed for tents or popups.
DaveFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
2012 dodge 4x4 diesel

1975 Argosy 22
Truckee , California
hi there- last week I drove the stretch between Asheville and Boone, and it was a pain in the butt. I suggest checking the road conditions first to make sure there isn't any fog. For about 30 minutes of driving a very curvy road I could barely see the yellow stripes in front of me. Couldn't see the turn-outs either. I highly suggest stopping in Floyd VA and staying at the airstream only parkl (Highland Haven). The area looks like you're in Scotland.
gypsybanker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 08:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Gene and Elaine,
Cherokee to Boone is a short trip. As gypsybanker said, the only real challenge would be heavy fog on the Ridge, which sure puts a damper on the trip and the views. We like Bear Creek CG (takes reservations) in Asheville. Ask for a Lower Level (LL) site; we like LL 7, 8, 9, 10, or 12. Asheville Bear Creek Campground | Asheville Bear Creek RV Park & CampgroundAsheville Bear Creek RV Park & Campground | Asheville North Carolina RV Camping and chalet rental.
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2013, 09:42 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
1970 27' Overlander
South of Atlanta , Georgia
Last year the WBCCI GA Unit did a one week end to end on the BRP. There were eleven rigs. We easily towed our 34' with the F150. We used a combination of campsites on and just off the Parkway. It was a fantastic trip.
2009 Ford F150 5.4L
ProPride hitch with 1400# bars

AIR 41028
TAC GA-8
WBCCI 10199
Past President Southeastern Camping Unit (12)
Aviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 07:17 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Fairview , North Carolina
We would love to visit somewhere you all are camping! Just got back from a 10 day camping trip so unable to make it! Can you tell me where you are camping! We live outside of Asheville!
LandYatch79 is offline   Reply With Quote