Old 09-28-2012, 11:03 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
Blue Water State Park, NM (just west of Grants)

For those traveling I-40 in New Mexico (e.g., headed for the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta) and looking for an overnight (or longer) stay just west of Grants, NM, there's a great State Park a few miles south of milepost 63 -- Blue Water State Park (35 18.333'N, 108 6.340'W).

The gate is open 6:00 AM to 9:00 PM, and it's OK to park overnight outside the entrance, if the gate is closed (late arrival).

The park has paved roads, and some sites have water and electric. Dispersed camping on shoreline is $8, regular sites $10, electric $14, water & electric $18. Dump station and fresh water available. (Fees as of 09/27/12)

Note: Exit I-40 at milepost 63. Do NOT use park entrance via milepost 53 and NM Hwy 612. That is the old park entrance on the southwest end of the lake, which appears abandoned. It looked like a real dump when we arrived late at night.

Old 09-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #2
Don't forget your cat nap

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoenix View Post
For those traveling I-40 in New Mexico (e.g., headed for the Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta) and looking for an overnight (or longer) stay just west of Grants, NM, there's a great State Park a few miles south of milepost 63 -- Blue Water State Park (35 18.333'N, 108 6.340'W).

The gate is open 6:00 AM to 9:00 PM, and it's OK to park overnight outside the entrance, if the gate is closed (late arrival).

The park has paved roads, and some sites have water and electric. Dispersed camping on shoreline is $8, regular sites $10, electric $14, water & electric $18. Dump station and fresh water available. (Fees as of 09/27/12)

Note: Exit I-40 at milepost 63. Do NOT use park entrance via milepost 53 and NM Hwy 612. That is the old park entrance on the southwest end of the lake, which appears abandoned. It looked like a real dump when we arrived late at night.
Another comment about travel on I-40.
We just completed a round trip from Longmont Colorado to Oceanside CA.

We went via I-25 to ABQ and then I-40/US-95/I-10/I-215/I-15. We came back via I-215/I-15/I-70.

The right (slow) lane westbound on I-40 between Flagstaff and the California border is the roughest Interstate I have ever towed on. There are frequent deep pot holes. The inside lane was better, but I did not feel comfortable driving in it at towing speed without a good rear view. Even then I would have felt obligated to pull over into the right lane when being overtaken. I don't know what it is like east bound, but I'm guessing it is the same.

Ken

Old 09-28-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Commercial Member

1967 30' Sovereign
Bosque Farms , New Mexico
We've spent a couple of overnights at Blue Water, and it is a welcome respite from Interstate travel, which we loathe. It can get kind of cold in that area (around 7400 ft.), so it's nice to have a site with electricity.

Lynn
Old 09-28-2012, 05:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
GLENDALE , AZ
I-40 eastbound from Flagstaff to Albuquerque had numerous construction areas, but there were only a couple of rough patches. Most of it was new asphalt and like glass. They must have started construction on the eastbound side.

Thanks for the heads up on the westbound side. We may take the route from Dillon to Durango through the mountains on the return trip. More scenic, but cold this time of year. I just hope there isn't any snow, yet.