Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2015, 05:23 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
Blue Ridge Parkway towing A/S

We will be heading through Virginia next September and I am wondering about pulling my 31 Classic along the parkway. I have read some reviews from RVers with MH but cannot seem to find anyone with a tt in tow. It looks like a challange which I have no problem with but is it an enjoyable trip or a white knuckle special? We could opt to drop the a/s off and just tour with the pick up in sections. Any help would be appreciated.
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
There is no problem pulling the trailer over the parkway as long as you understand it's very slow traveling. Lots of short grades, and turns. I got tired of it and had to get off, but I'm impatient a lot of the time.

It is pretty.
Old 05-11-2015, 05:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I found it a very relaxing drive towing my 31 foot Excella. But it was April with no crowds. And I knew that there is no way to make time on it. You should try it. If you don't like the speed you can always get off.
Al

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:50 PM   #4
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
The Parkway was fine, the get on get off areas were the fun part.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 05:59 PM   #5
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
The parkway has two speed limits, 35 & 45mph. On/Off's are far and few inbetween. We drove 30 miles of it yesterday, got tired of it, and jumped off and up 81 to get back on where it turns into Skyline Drive. It's beautiful and relaxing, but it can also be tiring.

In all honestly, only certain sections of the parkway are nice. Others, are dull and boring. Look at a map, you'll see where it runs thru boring portions easily enough.

It runs from Skyline south to the Smokies.

I don't think I'd want to take the Airstream down it just because. Only if I was going somewhere.
Old 05-11-2015, 06:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Pfafftown , North Carolina
We have pulled our 27' Airstream with no issues most of the length of the Parkway and know others who pull their 34' Airstreams with no issues. As long as your tow vehicle can handle the grades you should be fine.

As Steve points out, the travel can be slow. The maximum speed limit is 45 mph but the curves, grades, and turns often force slower travel. To fully appreciate the scenery you'll want to stop at overlooks, picnic areas, visitor centers and historic attractions.

One of the few Airstream only campgrounds is located about 8 miles from Blue Ridge Parkway milepost 136 at Adney Gap, south of Roanoke. Virginia Highland Haven sits on 75 beautiful mountain acres with stunning views of the surrounding Blue Ridge Mountains. Over 40 full hookup campsites are located on a ridgeline. Consider spending a night, or a few days, at the park. If you are there on a Friday night, go into the nearby town of Floyd, Virginia and see the bluegrass musicians perform on the street and at the Floyd Country Store. The park makes a perfect base from which to explore the many cultural, historic, and natural attractions of southwestern Virginia.

Below I've provided some photos from Virginia Highland Haven. Here is a link to the park website: Virginia Highland Haven Airstream Park
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0741.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	111.9 KB
ID:	238203   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0743.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	211.4 KB
ID:	238204  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0747.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	545.5 KB
ID:	238205   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0126.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	497.6 KB
ID:	238206  

WBCCI 3823 - Unit 12 | AIR 48265
Florida 55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:06 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Flying Cloud
Spotsylvania , Virginia
The BRP is a beautiful road, like others have posted the speed limit is 35 - 45, it is a Federal Road so speeding tickets start at $500 and can go to $1500 at the Rangers whim.

September is leaf peeping time, I would travel the BRP during mid week (Tuesday thru Thursday), otherwise you will have lots of other leaf peepers and motorcyclists trying to run you over.

As an AS owner and a motorcyclist I have experienced others rage while pulling my trailer at a safe speed. Enjoy the view because I am one that believes there is no boring part of the BRP, while the Skyline Drive to me is boring with speeds of 25 - 35 and the deer are every where. That is not to say there aren't deer on the BRP, along with turkey, squirrels, rabbits, beer, fox, etc.
KWN306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:14 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1955 22' Safari
Laredo , Texas
Beer :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KWN306 View Post
The BRP is a beautiful road, like others have posted the speed limit is 35 - 45, it is a Federal Road so speeding tickets start at $500 and can go to $1500 at the Rangers whim.

September is leaf peeping time, I would travel the BRP during mid week (Tuesday thru Thursday), otherwise you will have lots of other leaf peepers and motorcyclists trying to run you over.

As an AS owner and a motorcyclist I have experienced others rage while pulling my trailer at a safe speed. Enjoy the view because I am one that believes there is no boring part of the BRP, while the Skyline Drive to me is boring with speeds of 25 - 35 and the deer are every where. That is not to say there aren't deer on the BRP, along with turkey, squirrels, rabbits, beer, fox, etc.
Where is the beer?
55AS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:23 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2008 34' Classic S/O
Arnprior , Ontario
thanks to all who replied. We will be working our way south to Florida and are excited to hear all of the good things about Virginia. Looking forward to running the BRP as we will be in NO HURRY. Retired and time is not an issue. The only thing we need to remember is Garbage Day! What a life.
Thanks again for your advise and first hand information.
Pete
white laker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1996 34' Excella
Elberta , Alabama
We drove the entire length a couple years ago, when we had our 30' Excella. No problems, beautiful trip. 35 to 45 mph, is sorta fun after you realize that you came to enjoy the scenery, and not drive the Interstate. Hopefully one day, we can do it again.

Larry
Larry C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #11
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Great visitor center and museum, and campground. We liked it.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:33 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I did it once, last year, and once was enough. It is too tense if you try to stay in your lane all of the time and maintain 45 through all of the turns. I found the best approach is to drive down the middle of the road until you see oncoming traffic and then get in your lane. You should make use of the frequent pullovers to let traffic get around you, unless you like the vibes of rage coming from people who want to drive faster than you or just do not want to be behind a trailer. I found I was more comfortable at 40 mph or less on the many twists and turns, even if 45 is posted. It is tiring for the driver, but my wife absolutely loved the scenery. I did a good chunk of it in my Porsche a few months later and it was a whole lot more fun.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:34 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

1971 31' Sovereign
pickering , Ontario
blue ridge

I did this trip from the south end of the trail to the north, pulling our 1973-31'AS; the older models were that much heavier, but it pulled like a charm; the real problem was getting down; I lost the brakes on the trailer, and fried the rotors on the Suburban;
paulwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 11:44 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
BRP vs. Route 221

One place you really WANT to take the Blue Ridge Parkway is from Roanoke south to the next main exit. That avoids something on Route 221 south of Roanoke called "Bent Mountain" or as I say it "ohsh** ohsh** ohsh**!!!!!" It's not as bad as the Tail of the Dragon, but it's not a good road for any trailer... unless of course you like the smell of overheated brakes and transmission fluid.

Kinda fun to take just the truck after leaving the trailer safely at Virginia Highland Haven though.

Paula
Old 05-12-2015, 01:12 PM   #15
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foiled Again View Post
One place you really WANT to take the Blue Ridge Parkway is from Roanoke south to the next main exit. That avoids something on Route 221 south of Roanoke called "Bent Mountain" or as I say it "ohsh** ohsh** ohsh**!!!!!" It's not as bad as the Tail of the Dragon, but it's not a good road for any trailer... unless of course you like the smell of overheated brakes and transmission fluid.

Kinda fun to take just the truck after leaving the trailer safely at Virginia Highland Haven though.

Paula

So that's what that is called. YES, AVOID IT!!!! We've gone up/down it 4 times now in the truck. I told the wife, when we leave Highland Haven, I want to go around this. I don't want to go that way with the Airstream.
Old 05-12-2015, 01:32 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

1993 21' Sovereign
orillia , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by white laker View Post
We will be heading through Virginia next September and I am wondering about pulling my 31 Classic along the parkway. I have read some reviews from RVers with MH but cannot seem to find anyone with a tt in tow. It looks like a challange which I have no problem with but is it an enjoyable trip or a white knuckle special? We could opt to drop the a/s off and just tour with the pick up in sections. Any help would be appreciated.
We just got back having towed from south to north in April. No traffic, nice scenery, easy driving, a bit slow but lots of turns. Early spring is scenic and leaves in fall but the latter could be busy. It's a good alternative to highway towing if you have the time. Would not want to do it in busy slow traffic.
Jim
jsthespender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 01:54 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2007 27' Classic FB
Tupper Lake , New York
www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvisit/maps.htm

My husband & I hauled a 32' 5th wheel long before buying our Airstream- no problem. Thought this website which we used might be helpful. We took our time & enjoyed the scenery, history & culture of the Parkway. It was mid September thru Columbus Day weekend. We have many fond memories of this trip.
Julie Hunter
Wes Jennings
2007 27 ft Aisteam

Diesel75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:07 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
2014 30' Classic
Princeton , Iowa
Thank all of you, I have wanted to travel the parkway for a long time, now I know it is the thing to do. By the way last year we took the Natchez Trace from Nashville to Natchez and it was wonderful. Went in early April and the Red Buds and Dogwood were wonderful.
larryglarson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 07:20 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yes, take the parkway with the Airstream. Wonderful drive. Be wary of the "you can get off any time" advice and beware of the GPS suggestions for side roads to and from the Parkway. There are many routes crossing the parkway that are not Airstream friendly at all. We did it as part of a Airstream caravan. One gentleman pulling a 34 footer with a 350 van commented that he had never driven in 2nd gear for 500 miles before. It is a slow, hilly, curvy road but well paved, well marked, and fairly easy to drive. The speeds are so low it does not task the equipment too hard.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2015, 06:02 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2014 23' Flying Cloud
Woodstock , Georgia
Take your time and relax , one off my kids favorite trips! We had the best time stopping ,looking and exploring all the rich history.

The Streaming Gantt's
Keith Gantt is offline   Reply With Quote