Old 10-05-2014, 04:28 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
1999 34' Excella
Davidson County, NC , Highlands County, FL
Sorry for taking a while to get back. We went out for some lunch then took a ride out through the country on the way back. It's a beautiful sunny fall day here.

99.9% of the time you will be ok driving through Fancy Gap on I-77 any time of the year. Though, I would check the weather forecast before coming back that way, to make sure you're not going to hit ice or high wind. The wind at Fancy Gap on I-77 is notorious for blowing empty tractor trailers over. It happens a couple times per year. Usually the NOAA gives sufficient warning the day before.

When you are on your way back, as you near the Charlotte area, check the weather. If the forecast is bad you could change course and go on I-85 to I-95 to avoid the mountains altogether. And the distance is about equal.

You most likely will not have a problem getting from I-77 to the KOA. It's good 2 lane road.

There are three lanes each way going on the I-77 grade. The right, slow truck, lane ends at the top right before you will need to exit right. The slow moving trucks will be merging left. So if traffic is heavy get in the middle lane near the top of the grade and stay there. Your exit will be the first one after the steep climb. There's good access to cheap fuel right as you pull into the campground.

Old 10-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Marietta , Georgia
You might want to consider taking the BRP in VA. We did several months ago after visiting Highland Haven (Airstream park) near Floyd, VA. The road is beautiful and Highland Haven (and Floyd Country Store on Friday night) is a worthwhile stop!

2014 Ford F250 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley Hitch
WBCCI #1271

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 08:14 PM   #17

2011 27 FB International
Montreal , Quebec
Definitely stop at Highland Haven Airstream Park!
We were there 2 weeks ago and it's a beautiful place to admire the Blue Ridge Mountains at night. You'll also meet some great Airstreamers! The park is open till october 15th.

Here is a quick aerial video I did when we were there.
Old 10-06-2014, 12:01 PM   #18
Slide Out Society #001

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
That's a pretty neat video.
S/OS #001
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Carslile Actuator, Equal-i-zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook.
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:10 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

Longport , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by Batdelfuego View Post
Definitely stop at Highland Haven Airstream Park!
We were there 2 weeks ago and it's a beautiful place to admire the Blue Ridge Mountains at night. You'll also meet some great Airstreamers! The park is open till october 15th.

Here is a quick aerial video I did when we were there.
Old 10-06-2014, 04:24 PM   #20
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
The problem with the Parkway is the speed limit. We where driving back down it from Harrisonburg to FL and about half way I decided it was time to exit the park way. It's beautiful, but drive it when you aren't trying to get home in X hours and you don't mind lots of slow downs to 35mph from 45mph. It's up and down, and then you'll bump into tourist doing 25mph on it.

If you're not trying to get home in 8hrs it's worth the drive. But it's not steady like a highway straight away.
Old 04-15-2016, 08:13 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Between Here , And There
Blue Ridge Parkway

We are planning to travel the Blue Ridge Parkway this June from South to North. Have been doing a lot of planning but would like to get some feedback on places we must absolutely see and things we should do. Also recommendations for campgrounds are appreciated. We have no time constraints so can stay as long or little at each stop. We are used to boon docking so off the beaten path sites are appreciated. Will be carrying the bike and the kayak, good paddling sites are a plus. Looking forward to your input
Old 04-15-2016, 08:26 PM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
A search hint for more info. on the Blue Ridge -- If you go up a level to the On The Road sub-forum, then hit the Thread column name, you will get an alphabetized list of all threads in this sub-forum, starting with abbreviation marks, numbers and then on to the letter "a" and so forth. On about p. 19 there start lots of Blue Ridge threads. An amazing number actually!

Lots of good info. already posted free for the grabbing . . .

We hope to drive the same road someday!

Good luck.

Old 04-15-2016, 08:33 PM   #23
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
When you talk about steep ups and downs, and towing.... Do you go to lower gear to slow the car down? We were on BR couple years ago, got off somewhere, we had just the Suburban, it was so steep going down, and our brakes smelled. I wouls love to get to Fancy Gap but I just need to know how to drive the hills. 19'. bambi with 2500 Suburban.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 03:19 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
You should be able to force the Suburban into a lower gear to brake your descent down any hill on a public road. Start out real slow at the top, and keep your speed very low, with your emergency flashers on as appropriate. The only way people get into trouble is by letting the speed get up to unsafe levels, from which it is then difficult to slow down while heading down the hill . . .

Try this process without the trailer ASAP just to get the hang of it maybe.

Old 05-24-2016, 05:09 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

1977 25' Tradewind
2012 27' FB International
Ft Myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by OTRA15 View Post
A search hint for more info. on the Blue Ridge -- If you go up a level to the On The Road sub-forum, then hit the Thread column name, you will get an alphabetized list of all threads in this sub-forum, starting with abbreviation marks, numbers and then on to the letter "a" and so forth. On about p. 19 there start lots of Blue Ridge threads. An amazing number actually!

Lots of good info. already posted free for the grabbing . . .

We hope to drive the same road someday!

Good luck.

Thanks for that tutorial. I learned a new technique and got some very valuable information - even though some of it was dated.

I love this forum.
2016 RAM 2500
FL Crackers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 05:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Long Island , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by FL Crackers View Post
Thanks for that tutorial. I learned a new technique and got some very valuable information - even though some of it was dated.

I love this forum.
Thanks Mike and Laurel. Yes, this forum is indeed amazing, and so many of the older threads can still lead the way to fertile pastures!

Peter