Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-28-2018, 06:58 PM   #1
Creggster

2013 28' International
Livingston , Texas
Blue Ridge Parkway

Planning a spring trip north from Ashville on Blue Ridge Parkway towing my 30 footer. Any concerns to be aware of for this route?
casandel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:00 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Flying Cloud
Midlothian , Texas
sure hoping you get an answer

Hope you get an answer because we are thinking about the same trip - and I don't do up/down/curve left/curve right very well - a vertigo thing - LOL
TexasMarci is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:08 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
2012 25' Flying Cloud
2007 20' Safari SE
Fuquay Varina , North Carolina
Blue Ridge Parkway

It is a beautiful drive. Be prepared for a 45 mile per hour speed limit, which is strictly enforced. Also gas is not available on the Parkway but is available not far off the Parkway at many U.S. or State Highway intersections. There are some low tunnels. This might help with what to expect with that.
https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvis...el-heights.htm

Most people enjoy it more when not towing.
Silverbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:33 PM   #4
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
We've traveled most of the length of the Blue Ridge Parkway as well as much of Skyline Drive. We didn't have an issue with tunnel heights on either road. The speed limit on the roads is a bit slow but it allows you to enjoy the drive.

Not to hijack the thread but we found Skyline Drive to be much more enjoyable because the trees are trimmed in strategic areas and that provides much better vistas. Skyline is operated in a different fashion than Blue Ridge - perhaps the $15 Skyline charges for entry is utilized for maintenance of the scenic overlooks.

Enjoy your time on Blue Ridge but don't overlook Skyline for your next trip.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 08:46 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Take it slow and easy. Stop at every opportunity and enjoy the views and hiking. Most of the Parkway Campgrounds are dry camping.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2018, 09:38 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
Hillsborough , North Carolina
Plan on Short Mileage days

Plan on going shorter mileage days than you would ever consider on a normal road.
Reason: the turns get monotonous and almost painful if you try to accomplish too many miles in a day.
You have to slow down for most turns.
And it is continuous turns...Turn to the right, then left, then right, then left.
There are very few straight-aways. It can be quite fatiguing with the constant slowing down for turns.
Yes, it is beautiful, but best enjoyed in small drive sections.
GeeSag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:37 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mantua , Ohio
Watch speed. Tickets are a federal law violation.. At least it used to be!
xrvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:48 AM   #8
3 Rivet Member

2015 16' Sport
Lakeridge , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by nvestysly View Post
Skyline is operated in a different fashion than Blue Ridge - perhaps the $15 Skyline charges for entry is utilized for maintenance of the scenic overlooks.ip.
The fee has risen to $25. Byway robbery.
Peanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:52 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' International
Ellicott City , Maryland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverbee View Post
It is a beautiful drive. Be prepared for a 45 mile per hour speed limit, which is strictly enforced. Also gas is not available on the Parkway but is available not far off the Parkway at many U.S. or State Highway intersections. There are some low tunnels. This might help with what to expect with that.
https://www.nps.gov/blri/planyourvis...el-heights.htm

Most people enjoy it more when not towing.
Thanks for the link. It looks like 10 feet 6 inches is the lowest point. I believe all airstreams are lower than that.

Tow Vehicle: 2001 Ford Excursion 7.3L Diesel
ExStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:55 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Somewhere it snows , Ohio
We traveled most of the BRP northern section including some of Skyline Drive last year from Virginia to Asheville. I have done it in the past with just a car. Towing a trailer on the BRP is pretty tough in my opinion and not enjoyable. It is hard to navigate many pull offs, constant down hill turns, etc. We ended up leaving the trailer at each campground, doing a few side trips on the BRP then jumping ahead to our next camp via less challenging roads which were usually much longer but much quicker drives. We also stayed a week in Asheville so had plenty of time to do BRP side trips both north and south. Much more enjoyable in just your tow vehicle. I agree also with the comment about the tree trimming that is not being done on the BRP. Many of the best lookouts are grown over. I don't know if this is for environmental or budget reasons but it is kind of contrary to the purpose of the road in my opinion.
Airdream99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:34 AM   #11
Luminous

1983 27' Excella
Vesuvius , Virginia
If a car or line of cars has been following you for a few minutes, you might want to pull off into one of the scenic overlooks and let them pass.
LY007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:17 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
No problems on the parkway at all. But be very careful choosing access routes and using the GPS in that area when off the parkway.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 06:32 AM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeeSag View Post
the turns get monotonous and almost painful if you try to accomplish too many miles in a day.
You have to slow down for most turns.
And it is continuous turns...Turn to the right, then left, then right, then left.
There are very few straight-aways. It can be quite fatiguing with the constant slowing down for turns.
Yes, it is beautiful, but best enjoyed in small drive sections.
That's one thing I learned when my Airstream Interstate was still new and I drove Scenic Highway 7 in Arkansas— it's not very scenic at all for the driver! You don't dare look away from the road long enough to even see the scenery. So I guess that makes it unscenery… But on the plus side, driving such a twisty-turny-uppy-downy road taught me more in one day about how my Interstate handles than a month of driving other roads. And it gave me the confidence to drive that big Sprinter van anywhere else.

If I ever do the Blue Ridge Parkway (Or Scenic Highway 7 again, for that matter) I'll do it with a set of 3 dash-cams (go-pros, maybe), one looking forward and one to each side, so that later I can review all the scenery that I missed!
Old 01-29-2018, 08:04 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
The Blue Ridge Parkway does have a lot of pull offs to stop and enjoy the scenery.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:33 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The road is beautiful.
It's wide as any two lane road.
Curves are gentle.
There are no billboards or gas stations right off the exit. They did this on purpose.
The speed limit is 45.
Watch for bears in the road.
Asheville is a great little town.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 09:05 AM   #16
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
We did the entire parkway from South to north last June.
Was a great trip. Stayed at all of the campgrounds, which meant some days we only drove a 30 miles day. Took us 2 weeks.
All services available just off the parkway. Plan to do it again this fall, but north to south. Traffic increases and camps fill close to leaf color change time.

Great drive!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote