Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-16-2004, 06:08 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Blue Ridge Parkway?

Well I've just spent the last few days searching for some good places to camp on or near the BRP. I've found quiet a few but none that have what I'm looking for. I was just wondering if anyone here knew of a good place to stop at? I will be going from the Great Smoky Mtns park up to Washington DC and I'm planing on staying about three places. We will be staying between four to seven days at each and I do have two children 7 & 9. My wife doesn't ask for much but on these longer stayovers she does want a water hookup. She also wants to be in the trees. I have found that the campgrounds in the parks have the atmosphere she is looking for but not the water hookup. If you have any suggestions please I'm all ears.

Thank You
Steve
Deluxe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 06:34 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
We stayed at the Shenandoah Valley KOA, very nice, and great for the kids.
Also I stayed at Corps of Engineers park not far off the parkway in NC if that helps. They had great facilities and lakes with beaches. Can't remember the name right off but not too far off the route.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 06:36 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2004 25' Safari
BRP campgrounds

hi Steve---If you're talking Interstate 81 going North to DC, then I'd suggest stopping over at Hungry Mother State park near Marion,Virginia. It's close to the interstate & we found it to be a really neat park. It had water & power, but no sewer connections. There is a dump station at the park gate for when you leave. If you would have the time to spare, it's sure worth the trip to stay over one day & go to Burke's Garden. You'd have to go sans the trailer, but it sure was a neat place. High in the mountains & then it turns into a valley like place, with farms, etc. Even has a general store where you can catch a bite to eat & have an ice cream cone for desert. The park ranger office could direct you as to the location. It's a short drive from the campground, but uphill with great vista's. Marion is located in the Southwest corner of Virginia between Tenn & WV, on interstate 81. Have a safe trip.
Best,

Bogfrog & Mr. Turbo

If in life you stumble, make it part of the dance
WayWard Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 06:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Steve,
Once you get to the Washington, DC area:
Just North of Washington, is Cherry Hill Park Resorts..it's Very nice and, offers shuttle services every hour on the half hour to all sights in town..
Contact details:
Telephone: 1 800-801-6449
Email: DCCamping@aol.com Web: www.cherryhillpark.com
About the camp and it's internet policy:
Five Data Port Connections located inside; plus one data port available 24/7 in an exterior area. Nine Premium Campsites with jacks have 24/7 local and 800 service. Connect from inside your RV! New for 2002: Inside your camper enjoy High Speed Wireless Access! Requires extra equipment. Can be purchased or rented. Service is Fee Based, Minimum one day. Discount for longer terms. Fees are paid on line by Credit Card for wireless connection service.
In the lower level; Conference Center BuildingSeven A.M. until Ten P.M. every day
Time limit: Only if others are waiting-Multiple data ports!
Charge: Local and 800 service is FREE!
The Best Campground for Our Nation's Capital. Campground of the Year 2001/2002 by ARVC Superior location, amenities and services all by a friendly staff. Open Year Round, Easy off and Easy On Interstate 495/95 Just North of Washington, DC See our web site at: www.cherryhillpark.com
How to get there - information provided by the camp:

Whatsgoin'on - information provided by the camp:
(Check back often for updates)

CHERRY HILL PARK is also a member of the following Roaming Times listings:
Big Rigs Camps Groups Welcome Pet Friendly Camps Resorts Tent Sites
CHERRY HILL PARK
9800 Cherry Hill Rd.
College Park
Maryland
20740-1210
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2004, 11:55 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Deluxe 21,

Are you staying on the parkway all the way up from the smokies?

I would suggest you look at the "Peaks of Otter" right on the Blue Ridge Parkway. This area is north of Roanoke,Virginia. Beautiful mountainous area, hike to the top of the peak, restaurant, motel, small lake, camp store, Nat Park Sys programs, etc. Plenty of side trip things to see within a reasonable distance. (Jefferson national forest, Cave mountain lake, Mabry mill )

It is about 10 miles off of I81, well worth the trip.

Also, look up Jefferson National Forest on the NPS. This park is big but, fragmented.

We used to go to the Peaks of Otter at least once per year when we lived in southside Virginia.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 07:57 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Blue Ridge Parkway camping

Deluxe 21,

I agree. Be sure to stay at Peaks of Otter. It has a lovely campground. Also there's a lodge that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and there's a little store that serves sandwiches.

However, to compete with Peaks of Otter is Highland Haven Airstream Park. The web address is:

http://www.vahighlandhaven.org/

I have spoken with other Airstreamers and they all really like this park. I have never been there, because I have owned my rig less than a month and I am waiting for my axles to come in!

Have a great trip!

Connie
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 01:35 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Brp

Try the Montebello Camping and Fishing Resort just off the BRP on VA Rt. 56.
It has full hookups!
http://www.montebellova.com/

Bob
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 02:06 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Fredericksburg AS dealer

Hey RSEAGLE,

Did you own an AS before your 2004? I visited the AS dealer in Fredericksburg once, they have a really big place. We just bought a 66 Trade Wind and will be taking it to the NC dealer for a couple of things (axles, for example). But Fredericksburg is not much farther than the NC dealer for us, so I am interested in hearing what you think of their service dept if you owned an older rig in the past (or still do!).

Thanks,

Connie
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 02:33 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1979 31' Sovereign
Richmond , Virginia
Most of these are not listed in Woodall's. Well, unless they have a different list in the book then online.

There is also a site, Wildwood Camping in the same area. Not been there yet, but planning a trip around July 4 week.
troubleskeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2004, 03:44 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
Hi Connie,

I had a Jayco Kiwi before I bought an Airstream. I picked it up in NJ in February of this year.
I have taken my CCD to Safford RV here in Fredericksburg for some warranty work and was very satisfied with the work. Their technicians are well trained at AS and have done major rebuilds of the exterior skin. They showed me pictures of a Classic that had a tree fall on it during Hurricane Isabel. They pulled all the dented skin off, replaced damaged structural members and riveted new panels back on. I'd hate to think how much that cost! Hope it was insured.
I can't speak of working on older AS trailers like yours, but I'd expect they have the technical know how to get it done.

Bob
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2004, 07:20 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

Thank you for all the info

I guess I should go into a little more detail. I was thinking of starting near Cherokee NC. Then finding a second spot up north of Boone NC and the last place was going to be at or near the Shenandoah park. The most important is the one up north because we are going to travel into Washington for a couple of days without our Airstream and didn't want to travel more than two hours each way. I am thinking of driving up the parkway and the skyline drive and I'm hoping it won't be to bad. My Airstream is the old narrow type and my Chevy has the quadrasteer which makes it take tight turns pretty good. I did talk my wife into staying at one without hookups , but only one as long as it has flush toilets and showers. I think we're going to stay at a no hookup site near Cherokee.

Again thank you for your help
Steve
Old 05-18-2004, 07:31 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
That is a great trip. Have done sections at a time, never the whole thing at one time. Don't set too tight a schedule. It is hard to cover a lot of miles, there are so many things to see.

Watch your fuel, your mileage pulling a trailer will not be good in the southern section. There is gas along the parkway, not a problem but, just that big v-8's can drink gas on some of the long pulls in lower gears.
Old 05-18-2004, 10:10 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
In that case

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxe21
I guess I should go into a little more detail. I was thinking of starting near Cherokee NC. Then finding a second spot up north of Boone NC and the last place was going to be at or near the Shenandoah park. The most important is the one up north because we are going to travel into Washington for a couple of days without our Airstream and didn't want to travel more than two hours each way. I am thinking of driving up the parkway and the skyline drive and I'm hoping it won't be to bad. My Airstream is the old narrow type and my Chevy has the quadrasteer which makes it take tight turns pretty good. I did talk my wife into staying at one without hookups , but only one as long as it has flush toilets and showers. I think we're going to stay at a no hookup site near Cherokee.
Again thank you for your help
Steve
At the very end of Skyline Drive is a really neat place called "Skyline Ranch", located in Front Royal, Va.
Near all the caves, GWNPS, etc.
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2004, 07:18 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Well I think I've found two but I'm still looking for one up on Skyline in VA. It looks like we're going to stay at Smokemont in the GSMNP. No hookups at all and no showers but I looked it over and everything else looks great. It does have water at a dump station so I guess I'll just have to figure out how to get the water out of a bucket and into the holding tank. The second place will be near Linville Falls called the Bear Den CG. It has full hookups and is very rustic from what I read. I couldn't find Skyline Ranch on the internet so I called and they are sending me some info. 53FlyingCloud could you tell me a little about it.

Thanks
Steve
Old 05-20-2004, 11:43 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
We like rustic campgrounds in the blue ridge mountains because of the beauty, quiet (rustic keeps others away), easy to get into, etc.

I carry a collaspsible water jug with a short section of garden hose to fill the trailer. All campgrounds have water just not in the campsite. Requires a little work and a little conserving.

I will look for my parkway - skyline drive maps. There is a campground on the skyline drive about halfway between Staunton & Winchester, VA.
Old 05-21-2004, 06:37 AM   #16
Pet Sitter Extraordinaire

1989 33' Land Yacht
Chattanooga , Tennessee
Skyline Drive

Try Big Meadows on Skyline Drive. Stayed there years ago and planning on another trip there in July.
kposey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2004, 09:55 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

2001 30' Excella
Bedford , New Hampshire
I drove the Blue Ridge Parkway in the Shenandoah NP last year. The drive was very pretty, and it would have been a lot nicer if we weren't in the fog. After about an hour of slow, up, down, and around pulling a 30 footer. We got off, got dinner, and found the interstate. When towing, only the passenger can really enjoy the drive. My son, the passenger, took a nap. We were on our way to Ashville to fly fishing. I may try it again some time when I have loads of time.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:35 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

Kathy

I was reading about Big Meadows on a personal web page and the man said that it had hot showers and laundry. Is this true?

Steve
Old 05-26-2004, 09:26 PM   #19
Rivet Master

speaking of fog in Virginia....

some of the high mountaim passes are notorius for multi car wrecks
caused by the dense fog
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 06:12 AM   #20
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
I've done the BRP half a dozen times in years past (---last time in the 80's) - but never with anything more than a pop-up. How is it for a wide-body 30' Airstream? Hills & long grades don't worry me, but what about width?

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote