Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2004, 06:49 AM   #21
2 Rivet Member

White Hall , Virginia
Blue Ridge Parkway....

Cracker, You should not have any problems if you exercise reasonable care with your Wide Body A/S on the BRP. We have travelled that area several times, in fact it a very pleasant drive as long as you don't do it under foggy conditions. Even so, there are plenty of exit roads if you have to redirect your route. There is also an excellent Airstream Only Park only a few miles off the Parkway and about 25 miles from Roanoke, VA. Check out www.vahighlandhaven.org for further info. It's really a great stopover.

Regards,
Thorobred Jack-Beagle
wflorencejr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2004, 08:53 AM   #22
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Pittsfield , Maine
That's good to know. We'll probably be headed that way in the Fall, enroute to Florida. Plenty of time to stop and enjoy! We once stayed at a campground off the BRP that was owned by a Reverend Moody. He was known for several books - the most profound of which was "Life After Death!" It was a beautiful campground and on Saturday nights the locals all arrived for an evening of "clogging."

2003 GMC 3500 D/A, CC, LB, 4x4 and 2000 Airstream Excella 30. WBCCI 7074
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 01:25 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

The trip went great and I learned alot about camping with the family. The kids could care less about a great view and lots of distance between campsites. They were happy at our second stop Bear Den which our spot was right next to the playground. The wife chose the BRP for our vacation but once we were there she had a very hard time driving in the mountains. She felt like we were going to go over every cliff (boy was she fun). Being without hookups was much easier than I expected, but I am glad the second stop had laundry and full hookups. Here are the pics from the different campsites.
Smokemont in the Great Smokies has the stream behind it.
Bear Den near Grandfather Mountain is the smaller site.
Big Meadows on Skyline Drive has the deer in the left side of the pic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Smokemont 004.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	7825   Click image for larger version

Name:	Big Meadows 005.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	84.6 KB
ID:	7826  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bear Den CG 001.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	7827  
Deluxe21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 03:17 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1987 29' Sovereign
Sparta , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to wingfoot321
Beautiful pics. That airstream looks great in that scenery. The kids will remember more than you think they did. May be a few years but, they will.
wingfoot321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 03:31 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Highland Haven is an Airstream Park located in Floyd County just off the parkway near Roanoke, Va. Medows of Dan is not far away and a neat place too continuing on down the parkway yo come to Natural Bridge with a beautiful full hook-up campground on the James River and a wonderful show at the bridge in the evening that you won't want to miss. Luray has a nice campground with the caverns that must be seen, there are also caverns at Natural Bridge. Just a stone's throw off the parkway is Roanoke with the train museum as well as Mill Mountain in Salem. You will also find Lexington with Sonewall Jackson's home as well as Washington and Lee and VMI. You owe it to yourself and your family to pick up some info either on line or from the state. There is much to be seen. I would encourage you to come off the mountain for a short ride through the valley of Virginia and visit Winchester and who could miss Charlottesville with its beautiful historic district as well as the University of Virgina, Mount Vernon and Monticello. Just a very few of the many places to see
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 04:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2004 22' International CCD
Spotsylvania , Virginia
I agree with TARHEEL. We spend a couple of weeks at Cave Mountain Lake (between Glasgow and Natural Bridge) every summer. We'll be there in 2 weeks. We never get to do everything we want to do, because there is so much. Check out Lexington for small town shopping and VMI (my Alma Mater) for the museums. Don't forget to attend the Lime Kiln Theater when in Lexington. Also zip west on Rt. 39 to Goshen Pass and Rockbridge Baths for a picnic. Beautiful scenery! Great fishing and whitewater kayaking there too. The Great Valley of Virginia is just a short drive off the BRP and there is so much to do.
rseagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2004, 05:10 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Br Parkway

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deluxe21
Well I've just spent the last few days searching for some good places to camp on or near the BRP. I've found quiet a few but none that have what I'm looking for. I was just wondering if anyone here knew of a good place to stop at? I will be going from the Great Smoky Mtns park up to Washington DC and I'm planing on staying about three places. We will be staying between four to seven days at each and I do have two children 7 & 9. My wife doesn't ask for much but on these longer stayovers she does want a water hookup. She also wants to be in the trees. I have found that the campgrounds in the parks have the atmosphere she is looking for but not the water hookup. If you have any suggestions please I'm all ears.

Thank You
Steve
i live just off the parkway in waynesboro, VA, several of the places mentioned are ok, also would suggest north 340 campground just off the parkway, here in waynesboro, also 25 miles north on the Skyline drive is Loft Mountain and another 30 miles or so is Big Meadows, they dont have full hookups, but do have water and elec and a dump station, also have camp store with hot showers and laundry, North 340 is private with full hookups approx 7 miles from the intersection of the BlueRidge Parkway and Skyline Drive at Waynesboro
NOTRUCKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2004, 02:19 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
http://www.virginiaisforlovers.com
I was in the hospital today while my son had some surgery to his arm. While there I saw a magazine just for the Blue Ridge Parkway. It also liste the above site as a way of finding out what's going on in the state. Try it I think you will like it.

Rick
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2004, 08:22 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member

Blue Ridge Campsite near Staunton, VA

We just returned from doing Blue Ridge Parkway, Skyline Drive, Asheville...

We were very pleased with Walnuts Hills Campground outside of Staunton, VA. It's a pretty place with some lakefront campsites and helpful staff. We'd recommend it. It's not right on the Parkway but also not far...

Tom and Frank
2004 Ford Excursion 6.0 PSD PWRSTRK,
and Brittany, the Nova Scotia Duck Tolling Retriever
PWRSTRK is offline   Reply With Quote