Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-14-2019, 02:04 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Blue Highways

We enjoy the ‘Blue Highways’. Actually, they aren’t blue anymore. Since William Least-Heat Moon recorded his memorable journey over the backroads of America in the 70’s, Rand McNally has changed the color scheme. Now we look for the red, gray, or green dot scenic byways to escape the monotony of bland high speed interstate travel.

On our recent return from a family event on the MS Gulf Coast, we resolved to avoid interstates and maximize pleasurable travel. I actually relinquished my reliable route planner app inRoute, and trusted the First Mate to guide us from the mapbook on her lap. The route was definitely indirect. The difference was wonderful. Touring at a comfortable pace through MS, LA, AR, OK, KS, and CO, we enjoyed pretty scenery, uncertain detours, numerous diversions, fine campsites (couldn’t give up Allstays), and arrived home feeling enriched rather than exhausted, even after a June blizzard as we crossed Wolf Creek pass on our final leg. Sure it took longer, but my days of rushing through airports and criss crossing the planet on business are over. Time is now my friend.

Our 2011 FC23FB just rolled past 78K miles with 655 nights aboard. Through all seasons, across all terrains, she has served us well. She now sits in the driveway, repairs complete (stuff breaks) and freshly detailed for our next adventure. CO to WA with our 5 and 8 yr old grandkids, there to pick up two more grandkids for a week in Olympic NP. I added the Bigfoot rooftop tent on the RAM and Gazelle screened gazebo to shelter the youngsters when they briefly rest. They are all seasoned campers.

Enjoy your summer. Try the slow lane.

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe
JamuJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 09:37 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2018 33' Classic
Redmond , Washington
I just started to read this book! Most excellent so far. I definitely agree. Just need to get better mapping and trip planning software!
Alreddawg19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 11:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Washington , Missouri
I'm colorblind so use other indicators. Sometime you need to make tracks. But sometimes it's time for some tunes on a blue highway.

BTW, named our rig "Blue" for his song and inspiration!
B
CruizinDux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:29 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
. . .

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe
Great thread and "tone" . . .

A large print spiral-bound road atlas like this one is our first planning tool, and the grandkids like looking through it too -- no electricity or Internet required!

https://www.amazon.com/Rand-McNally-...audible&sr=8-1

"Blue Highways" is available on Amazon Audible, and they were/are having a special membership deal during their Prime Day shopping event -- not sure if that is still on.

https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Highways...gateway&sr=8-1

Happy Trails,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 02:44 PM   #5
Len and Jeanne

2005 16' International CCD
2015 19' Flying Cloud
Creston Valley , British Columbia
Also, for people traveling in the West, the federal "blue highways" typically were built prior to the Interstates, so the passes are often lower. Not that there is an issue with the grades on the Interstates, but during the shoulder season, the older two-lane highways can miss some of the higher elevation ice and snow. For example, HY 200 in Montana and northern Idaho instead of Lookout Pass on I-90. However, this doesn't apply to roads going through National Forests, which are up in the mountains. But awfully scenic.
Len n Jeanne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2019, 04:03 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamuJoe View Post
<<snip>>

Safe Travels,
JamuJoe
Traveling backroads without a fixed schedule is definitely the way to go, far more enjoyable! That is what we try to do since retirement.