Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-01-2012, 09:48 AM   #41
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
I spoke with my husband last night and he said the bird numbers are down compared to previous years. He goes with some friends and they hunt the same place every year. The place they hunt hadn't had rain in forever. Hubby got his birds though. He hunts with a Springer and we have a Field spaniel in training.
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2012, 11:56 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic Slideout
2021 33FB Classic
Colleyville , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkrug View Post
I spoke with my husband last night and he said the bird numbers are down compared to previous years. He goes with some friends and they hunt the same place every year. The place they hunt hadn't had rain in forever. Hubby got his birds though. He hunts with a Springer and we have a Field spaniel in training.
Thanks for the report fresh from the field. The news is as expected but we accept it knowing SD is still better than anywhere else, even in the down years. We enjoy the hunt and it makes the harvest even more enjoyable. Love those Springers as I grew up with a great one, my best buddy as a kid, and have had Labradors since our kids were little. Life is good. Thanks again.
Old 11-07-2012, 10:18 AM   #43
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Point , NW
My son and I have returned from our hunting trip. We did not get to the Dakota's, we spent our 8 days in Montana. We both have always wanted to hunt Sharp Tail Grouse and Sage Hens. We found Sharp Tails as well as Pheasants, however no Sage Hens. We hunted along the "High Line" both North and South at several of the many BMA's. (Block Management Areas) There are numerous to choose from, some more productive than others. All very easy to use, just sign in at the box, park in designated areas and go. Only one required us to visit the ranch headquarters to have the owner physically meet us and personally sign us in. We also stopped at a couple of ranches that looked good and asked for permission to hunt, both were very pleasant and granted us access.
The dogs did well, finding and pointing lots of birds. My son did quite well. The "ole man" should of, could of, would of, if he had shot as well! Several birds and unfortunately two porcupines were found. Sons dog received about 200 quills on Wednesday with a trip to a Vet to get the last ones out. Two days later Dad's dog pointed and tried to retrieve one with a result of about 100 quills mostly in his mouth. Another trip to a yet another Vet! After two days of delays for Vets and another with a flat tire we elected to stay in Montana to get in more hunting. We hope to try the Dakota's next year.

The Safari performed very nicely on the first bit trip since purchasing it. It towed easily, very comfortable to return to after a days hunt. The beds are a bit short for my 6'3" body, however nice to even have a bed, a place to cook, and be warm after a day out. All in all a very nice trip for father and son and of course the dogs.

Picture below of one days harvest. It's not all about hunting, we enjoy the scenery and checking out old homesteads, and equipment reflecting how easy we have it now compared to just a few years ago!

Thanks to all who have contributed to this topic.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0015.jpg
Views:	121
Size:	434.5 KB
ID:	172241   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0007.jpg
Views:	108
Size:	334.7 KB
ID:	172242  

Name:	IMG_0012.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	236.9 KB
ID:	172243   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0022.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	188.6 KB
ID:	172244  

Sburg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 04:16 PM   #44
2020 Globetrotter 25 FBT

2020 25' Globetrotter
Wildwood , Missouri
Those are some nice looking longhairs. (I'm a setter guy myself.)
Looks like a satisfied smile on your son's face, like only a good day in the field can bring.
Great pics, thanks for posting.
GettinAway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2012, 09:15 PM   #45
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1954 22' Flying Cloud
Saline , Michigan
GWP or GWG?

Here's a pic of our GWG with one of his hunting partners...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ricky and Gruff 60+days.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	172288  
goshawks00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:58 AM   #46
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Garden Valley , Idaho
You should look into the Snake River Hell's Canyon jet boat hunting next fall. It's an experience of a lifetime.

Pap
2002 Airstream Classic 30' w/SO #2074
2007 Kubota 900 RTV
1996 Ford Bronco
2007 Lincoln LT
pappy19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 06:11 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
alexandria , Kentucky
Enjoying this thread. I was able to hunt with my dad and brother back in 2006 in central South Dakota. A very memorable trip for the three of us. We even got to see VP Cheney's plane on the tarmac at the airport. Apparently he was hunting just up the road from us.
Hensley Arrow hitch with adjustable stinger
WBCCI # 3072
crispyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:44 PM   #48
2 Rivet Member

2004 28' International CCD
Maple Plain , Minnesota
Bird Hunting Photos Needed for an Airstream magazine article

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sburg58 View Post
My son and I have returned from our hunting trip. We did not get to the Dakota's, we spent our 8 days in Montana. We both have always wanted to hunt Sharp Tail Grouse and Sage Hens. We found Sharp Tails as well as Pheasants, however no Sage Hens. We hunted along the "High Line" both North and South at several of the many BMA's. (Block Management Areas) There are numerous to choose from, some more productive than others. All very easy to use, just sign in at the box, park in designated areas and go. Only one required us to visit the ranch headquarters to have the owner physically meet us and personally sign us in. We also stopped at a couple of ranches that looked good and asked for permission to hunt, both were very pleasant and granted us access.
The dogs did well, finding and pointing lots of birds. My son did quite well. The "ole man" should of, could of, would of, if he had shot as well! Several birds and unfortunately two porcupines were found. Sons dog received about 200 quills on Wednesday with a trip to a Vet to get the last ones out. Two days later Dad's dog pointed and tried to retrieve one with a result of about 100 quills mostly in his mouth. Another trip to a yet another Vet! After two days of delays for Vets and another with a flat tire we elected to stay in Montana to get in more hunting. We hope to try the Dakota's next year.

The Safari performed very nicely on the first bit trip since purchasing it. It towed easily, very comfortable to return to after a days hunt. The beds are a bit short for my 6'3" body, however nice to even have a bed, a place to cook, and be warm after a day out. All in all a very nice trip for father and son and of course the dogs.

Picture below of one days harvest. It's not all about hunting, we enjoy the scenery and checking out old homesteads, and equipment reflecting how easy we have it now compared to just a few years ago!

Thanks to all who have contributed to this topic.
Thanks for your report and pics, I'd like to talk with you about a magazine article I'm writing on Airstreams and bird hunting. Hibby has sent me his phone numbers and I will be contacting him this week if I can get some free time. I'd like to talk with you too and also have a chance to use your photo of your birds, dogs Airstreams and tired feet.
tomp1937@gmail.com
tomp1937 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 04:29 PM   #49
2 Rivet Member

1965 22' Safari
Point , NW
[QUOTE=goshawks00;1225445]GWP or GWG?

The larger whiter dog is an German Wirehaired Pointer, AKC type.
My son's is a Drahthaar, German registered.
Sburg58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2012, 10:09 AM   #50
1 Rivet Member

1975 31' Sovereign
Denver , Colorado
As a proprietary North Dakota ex-pat who returns yearly to hunt in the southwestern part of the state, I'd like to tell you not to go there, there are no birds, it's cold, it's rainy, the wind blows, you'll run into a blizzard, you'll get stuck axle deep out on the prairie, the natives have "Fargo" accents, you'll get run over by a fracking tanker, you have to have a passport to get across the border .... But I can't – none of the above is entirely true. Honestly, any part of ND is an outdoorsman's (RV'er's) paradise, and sw ND is loaded with upland game. Unlike SD, though, ND's hunting assets are somewhat unheralded. My group was there in mid-October. We flushed scores of birds on private land and an ample number on walk-in sites. An upland game non-resident license is $100, landowners are very approachable, and guide fees reasonable. Go online to find hunting lodges, or just stop in any town and ask where the best spots are or about guide services. Most every little town has a city park with RV spots. Bring lots of shells.
windstream is offline   Reply With Quote