Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2006, 07:30 AM   #41
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
I've been reading this thread with interest. Perhaps I'm too much of an optimist but despite the naysayer’s I firmly believe it is those of us who tinker in garages who drive real business out of hobbies and change markets. Big Oil will always be big oil; perhaps someday they will become Big BioOil.

A year ago my brother-in-law sent me this link: http://www.greasecar.com/profile.cfm?profileID=52. It's inspired my curiosity about SVO ever since.

Chaplain - I'll pick up that PM issue today. I read a recent article in another major pub recently that talked about alternative fuels in detail. The concept was that there was no single solution, rather it would be a combination of energy sources; wind, hydro, nuclear, bio, solar - and yes petro) that would allow us to distribute demand and reduce the burden off of one single source (oil). Of course, the world will need to change to enable this, but it's good that we're all, at least, talking about it.
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2006, 08:24 AM   #42
Rivet Master

Elgin , Texas
One thing to remember is that none of this is going to happen overnight. The world isn't going to run out of oil overnight, nor will a shift in thinking about alternate fuels. Think how a mere 20 years ago recycling was scarcely an afterthought, now it's a multi-billion dollar industry. Likewise with smoking in businesses and public places being the norm, now you have entire municipalities with non-smoking ordinances. My point is that changing of thought processes on a scale of such magnitude has to happen slowly by its very nature. We'll get to a point to where petroleum will be overtaken by other alternatives, technology advances virtually guarantee this, but it will never go away entirely. There will always be a market for it - much like we'll always have landfills and there will always be smokers. Even though the homebrewers may forever be relegated to their own niche, or may even become extinct, the key is that we're seeing the beginnings of a change in thought process, however small, that over time will effect change on a global scale. The precedents are already there. The fact that we've had flex fuel vehicles in production in this country for more than a decade, and that the large oil companies have started jumping on the biodiesel and ethanol bandwagons (far more than during the 70's era crunch,) would seem to support this. We're a long way from cheap, truly clean fuel; it's going to get way worse before it gets better, but we'll get there in time. Hopefully before 1/4 of the plant and animal species are wiped out, as they're predicting by 2050.

bake315 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 01:50 PM   #43
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Hey silverback, where in Phoenix do you get your bio? I live in Ahwatukee..area...
Bob J. Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2006, 03:53 PM   #44
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Putnam , Connecticut
My 2005 Duramax Manual saids to not exceed 10% bio and only use that which meets certain standards..... otherwise you void your warranty.
Over59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2006, 04:55 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

1972 31' Sovereign
High Springs , Florida
Send a message via AIM to Pick
We now have commercially available biodiesel here in Gainesville, Florida. I am running a small percentage in my Duramax, and am up to 50% in my John Deere tractors. I use about 5 gallons a week just keeping this place mowed.
Lots of Hot Sauce!
Air # 283
WBCCI 1350
Pick is offline   Reply With Quote