Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-21-2014, 06:06 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Bike rack solution needed

Need some help from all you experienced Airstreamers out there!

I need a bike rack solution for my Airstream Safari. I am aware of the new Fiamma rack - slick I guess but my local dealer wants $637 no instl or $950 installed. Ouch!! It is $500 on the Airstream site - it appears they have them in stock again.

In any case, this is a HUGE outlY for something so simple!

So who has a good solution? I tow with an SUV so pickup bed transport is out. A roof rack is out for my SUV too as it is high to be practical.

Ive thought of internal using some bike fork clamps. Maybe ok. I also know they have racks that attach to the rectangular part of the frame of your trailer just behind the ball.

But enough of my studies - who has experience and solutions they like!?
mpsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:16 PM   #2
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
What SUV do you have? We use a front-mounted receiver with a bike rack installed on our Ford Expedition and have found it to be a solution that works well for us. You might want to consider it if a front receiver is available for your vehicle. I tow with the bike seats removed to minimize any visual interference out the windshield.

We considered roof-mount racks, the Airstream rear rack and didn't like either. Briefly considered working something between the TV and the trailer. Finally settled on the front mount as the best solution for us overall.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Anywhere & , Everywhere
There are any number of threads on here already about bike racks. Were you not able to find any info in them?
Al - K4GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 07:34 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 23' International
Sevierville , Tennessee
I use a fork mount gizmo made for a pick-up bed but I put it inside the Airstream. I use some cleverly placed bungee cords to keep the rear tire steady during travel. Have not had any problems yet.
Old 01-21-2014, 07:54 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1987 25' Sovereign
Oregon , Ohio
I have had a F-150 super crew and now a F-250 extended cab. I have used a front receiver hitch on both with the same bike rack. This set up has worked very well for us. Depending on the weight of the hitch, bike rack and bikes you could be adding between 200 to 300 pounds about 2 feet in front of the steering axle. I think that this helps to counter act the trailer weight on the back of the tow vehicle
msmcv51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
We bought folding bikes, the larger ones with 26" wheels, aluminum frames, 21 speeds, built by Dahon, and we're happy with them. They would easily fit in the rear of your SUV if you don't already have it full of other stuff.
Old 01-21-2014, 08:46 PM   #7
jcl
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Vancouver , British Columbia
Still looking for a trailer here. Currently have an SUV and will use one to tow. Bikes are important to us. They go on the roof or in the back of the SUV now. They will go inside the trailer, considering the planned Airstream trip durations, and we expect that to impact our choice of floor plan. We will use fork mounts.
jcl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:49 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We tried several racks and methods over many years. The Airstream rack is best and it's real cost is over what another one would cost you. Buy one and put it on yourself, pretty easy job with plenty of video instructions around.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014, 08:55 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
I have a fork mount solution that I use. The mobile app won't let me copy/paste links but search "fork mount" on the forums and you'll find it. It's simple, cheap, and works beautifully.

Lynn
2005 19' Safari, Toyota Tundra
2 Small and Spoiled Dogs
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:30 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Dayton , Ohio
We bought our trailer new last May with the Fiamma rack (installed by our dealer). I am a huge fan of the rack. Fits two 29er mountain bikes and they only touch in one place that is easy to cushion (suspension fork on one touches the chain stay on the other). Otherwise they nest beautifully. When I first saw the rack (already installed) I thought "No way". But it is great. Very light, folds up when not in use, and very sturdy. Designed specifically for an Airstream and I say they nailed it.

Sent from my HTC One using Airstream Forums mobile app
Pivot429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:53 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Every solution has its pros and cons, but a front mounted hitch receiver and bike rack has worked fine for us on our last three tow vehicles.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 09:18 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
I have been using one of these inside the trailer for the last 4 years. Cost about $55 at Lowes. I use it outside the trailer when I am camping, with a cable for security. I use it in the garage when I'm home.

I throw an old towel or quilt on the floor crossways inside the trailer then set the rack and bikes on top of it. I secure the rack to the front wheels with a bungee cord. Then secure the bikes together with two bungee chords, separating them with old towels to keep them from scratching each other. The bikes will move during an emergency braking situation, so I also lay some old towels on the gaucho to keep the upholstery clean in case that happens. I have not had the bikes turn over or anything like that. They just slide forward and stayed upright against the gaucho. I have considered installing some type of tie down inside the trailer to keep the rack from moving, but have not felt it was necessary.
Old 01-22-2014, 09:30 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
Arvada , Colorado
We've had good luck with this bike rack which mounts over the propane tanks.

Arvika - Home

We carry cruiser type bikes and I do not have great difficulty in lifting the bikes up using a step stool. The rack was about $450.00 US when we purchased it about five years ago. Much has been posted about dangers in mounting a bike rack at the rear bumper. This seemed to be a reasonable alternative. Airstream has since developed a rear mounted rack. I have not seen one in person as yet. Good luck.
Jack46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 06:11 PM   #14
pegorette

Currently Looking...
Fullerton , California
I had a 2" receiver welded to the rear of my 20ft and on my new 25ft. I then use my Thule bike rack. I can lock it on the trailer and transport my bikes. When I get to the camp ground I can take the rack off the trailer and put it on my TV and take my bikes to different locations to ride.
pegoretty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2014, 07:22 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Hampton , New Hampshire
Pretty sure I have tried everything over the course of time, but the Airstream bike rack (cost aside) is far and away the best solution for us.

I had ours installed by Airstream when our trailer was there for some other service items; don't recall the install price, but whatever it was is long forgotten with how well it performs.
2019 Airstream Classic 30RBT, 2021 Ford F350 King Ranch 4X4 w/6.7L Diesel, Hensley, ACI #1313

travelwiththeslowskys.com
nilesrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 05:35 AM   #16
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
One more plug for the factory Fiamma rack from us. We had one put on our Pete before we left the dealer.

I have tried all kinds of racks over the years with 5 different rvs. The Airstream rack is the best hands down. It's always ready, takes one minute to load, and the bikes are secure.

It does take away a bit of the attractiveness of the rear of the coach, but not too bad when folded. Usefulness rules for us in case.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1390480523.211020.jpg
Views:	543
Size:	839.6 KB
ID:	204203
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 11:42 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
How close are the handlebars to the window? Looks CLOSE in the pic!

I am sold on this rack too, just ordered one.
Old 01-23-2014, 01:20 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' FB International
Dayton , Ohio
Very close but not touching. Pretty wide bars on our bikes. This picture was taken the first time I loaded up the bikes. Minor adjustments are easy so now I am not quite so close.

Sent from my HTC One using Airstream Forums mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1390508385711.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	139.9 KB
ID:	204214  
Pivot429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 02:12 PM   #19
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Our bikes in the pic above do have very wide handlebars. I loosen one allen screw and turn my wife's handlebars sideways in line with her front wheel (hard to see in the pic). Works great, and nothing within 6" of the rear window.
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014, 07:53 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
Thanks to everyone. A variety of solutions that you like - exactly what i needed. I found a really good price on the Fiamma rack.

Love the Forums!