Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > On The Road...
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-31-2016, 11:48 AM   #61
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Yeah, that might be pushing it. You need to see well on the road.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 02:52 PM   #62
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Fresno , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by interstateflyer View Post
I would check with the CHP to see if that obstructed vision might cause one of their officers to cite you. Would be a a shame to have to deal with that mid-trip.
Yea you're probably right. I'm going to look for a lower profile rack.
Luckily for me during the 5 or 6 trips I've taken with the bikes on the front, the only law enforcement I encountered were more interested in fighting crime than ruining someones vacation.
bullet661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 08:34 AM   #63
2 Rivet Member

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Fresno , California
Lower rack

This rack is lower, solid and easier to use. It's called a "Kuat". They are really expensive but I'd rather spend the money than drill holes in my Airstream.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4815.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	474.3 KB
ID:	267335  
bullet661 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2016, 09:03 AM   #64
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by bullet661 View Post
This rack is lower, solid and easier to use. It's called a "Kuat". They are really expensive but I'd rather spend the money than drill holes in my Airstream.
I carry bikes the same way and have for the last 18 years or so - likely close to 100,000 miles without problems.

I already had a standard hitch mount carrier, but when used on the front of our 2500HD, truck it put the bikes way too high.

I just cut the vertical tube of the carrier down and re-welded it to suit.

As it is now, I don't have a whole lot of clearance between the road and the bottom of the bike wheels - but enough, never any contact!

The seats /handlebars are barely visible above the line of the hood. Just enough for me to see them so I can be constantly sure that our bikes remain properly secure, which I like.

In that regard, on our last trip south we saw a fifth wheel pulling onto the interstate with bikes on the back of the RV. One bike had come loose at one end, and was dragging along the road! Lots of folks flashing lights & blowing horns, but the driver seemed oblivious and carried on!

No perfect solution I guess, each method has pros and cons - pay your money and take your choice!

I will admit that on some trips our bikes up front get rather dirty, but they are just old beaters anyway so not a real big deal for us.

I would imagine that with turbulence at the back of the trailer, bikes carried back there would get pretty dirty also in inclement weather.

Many years ago I used to carry a 90cc Honda Passport scooter in the aisle of a
20 ft SOB.

It worked ok, but required a lot of securing and foam rubber to avoid damage to the interior! Never did cause any damage - but was a pain if we wanted to use the trailer en route.

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote