Old 04-18-2011, 09:34 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member
Detroit , Michigan
Bike Rack Option

I have been looking into a safe, exterior option for a few years, and came across this on ebay tonight.

I would love to hear comments from the the community.

I also am soliciting other ideas for carrying 2 to 3 bicycles on my Ford Excursion.

2 Bike Carrier Rack Rear Hitch Ball Mount Tow Trailer | eBay

86' 31' Sovereign
the ponz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 09:55 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
With that set up I'd worry about the bikes hitting the rig when making tight turns... There's a set up we've seen that attaches to the tongue and carries the bikes up above the propane was pretty slick...I'll try to find a post that describes/shows it and post back...

WOW! I surprised myself...I found it on the first try: WE saw this rig at the Balloon Fiesta rally two years ago...I'm sure the poster will be happy to give you more info...

(Just don't put them on the rear of your trailer...there's lots of discussion on the Forums of why that's a bad idea...)

TB & Greg and Abbey Schnauzer
AirForums #21900 . Membership Chair, 4C
Unit #3954
Travel Log: AZBambi...On the Road Again
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 12:28 AM   #3
Rivet Master
1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
That I dont think will work with your WD hitch ,provided of course you are using one. In you profile you dont indicate a trailer. This will work for Wave Runner Trailers and small boat trailer but NOT an Airstream. Best Idea I have seen is a rack that sits on the floor inside the trailer.
Roger & MaryLou
7.3 liter Power Stroke Diesel
1977 27ft OVERLANDER
AIR # 22336 TAC- OH-7
May your roads be straight and smooth and may you always have a tailwind!
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 04:24 AM   #4
Rivet Master
1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
Posts: 1,307 has receivers for the from of most model pickups. Might think about putting a hitch on the front and adding a bike rack. The Saris bike rack is one of the best. I have used one for years, bikes are secure, don't rattle or touch, and can be removed quickly.
Hitch Racks
I like the CycleOn Pro.
Bruce & Rachel
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 06:28 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member
Detroit , Michigan
Thanks for the replies and opinions.

It was late last night when I saw the ebay listing. I tried to imagine the tongue of the Airstream sitting on the ball with the bikes hanging on either side. I did not, however, place the weight distribution bars in the picture.

Thank heavens y'all are here.
86' 31' Sovereign
the ponz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 07:01 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Acually might work with SOME wd hitches. I don't think it would be a problem with trunnion style Reese or Eq. HOWEVER, I don't think it'll leave much room between the propane bottle cover for turning and especially backing.

I run mine inside the AS like Mike says. 2 front fork clamps on a board, well padded on the LR floor.

dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote