Old 08-27-2010, 10:12 AM   #15
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Rivet Lead Paint Concerns!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Forgot to mention, there is a down side to the Lowes bike stand. The stand is made in China and has lead paint on it. I repainted mine with several coats of a lead free paint after assembly.
As long as you don't chew on it you'll be fine. You're more exposed to the lead wheel weights on your wheels.

Old 08-27-2010, 10:22 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1993 30' Excella
Lakeland , Florida
Taking the Bike Along For a Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluto View Post
Sorry I have no pics for you but the Lowes web site will have all the info. You could also do a search of threads on here and see the old threads on the racks. Some people even posted pics.
After carefull concideration and Andy's valuable recomendation not to attach anything to the rear of the Twinkie I did the following. Added velcro straps to the closet and countertop using the countertop trim screw and it works well.
Never fond of blocking the front of a vehicle or a roof rack juggling bikes on top.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Motobecane Elite FX 015.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	109.6 KB
ID:	109465   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motobecane Elite FX 016.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	95.7 KB
ID:	109466  

Name:	Motobecane Elite FX 017.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	96.1 KB
ID:	109467   Click image for larger version

Name:	Motobecane Elite FX 020.jpg
Views:	60
Size:	105.4 KB
ID:	109468  

Old 08-27-2010, 10:23 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2010 27' FB Classic
N/A , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by arcamedies View Post
As long as you don't chew on it you'll be fine. You're more exposed to the lead wheel weights on your wheels.

I think your right, but the temptation is always there to take a nibble.
Old 08-27-2010, 10:59 AM   #18
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB Flying Cloud
Perry , Florida
I mounted a tow bar reciever on the front of the F-150, then got a nice bike rack that is designed for a reciever. Works fine. I do secure with locks and cable to prevent them from running away when I'm not looking, and I cover the seats with a couple of plastic wal-mart bags.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0809.JPG
Views:	72
Size:	313.4 KB
ID:	109469  
Old 09-01-2010, 10:14 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1999 28' Excella
Frederick , Maryland
We have a cap/topper on our Silverado. When A.R.E. made the cap I optioned for the factory installed Thule rails as I have always used Thule equipment.

I carry three bikes on the roof. Two on Thule trays with fork mounts and my recumbent (a Bacchetta Agio Bacchettabikes.com/ ) on a Rocky Mounts tray/fork mount (because I needed an extra long tray and the Thule version was too expensive). I also have mounts for our kayaks and canoe depending on what we want to take. I also have the Thule "clip" mounts for the cab portion of the truck so i could put a bar up by the windshield so we have a nice spread when carrying the canoe. They "clip" under the door frame and work very well and are very solid. Easy to install and remove. BTW I have locks on everything, feet, mounts etc. You can get matching locks so you only need one key.

I also have fork mounts installed on a 2X4 that I can put in the bed of the truck to carry three bikes enclosed under the cap. I use this for local trips when we are not carrying the generator, chairs, wood etc. etc. that we carry on our camping trips. BTW, I like fork mount carriers myself (the kind where you take the front wheel off). Others like the frame mount carriers where you leave the wheel on. They both work, but to me it's easier to load the bikes without the front wheel installed, plus, to be honest, I just like the way a fork mounted bike looks on the roof (don't ask why, I'm a guy and irrational about these things). I do have a "tire step" that I use to get the bikes up on top of the cap. That is especially needed for by 'bent as it is long and can be unwieldy loading it from the ground, no problem with the step though.

I don't have a photo of this setup on the Chevy, but I have attached a copy of a photo of this setup on our former Tundra, from back in our tent camping days years ago. This was taken in Green Ridge State Forest here in MD. Quite a load, this was one reason I switched up to a 3/4 ton diesel after a few years, we were pushing the cargo weight limit with the Tundra.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tundra.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	160.8 KB
ID:	109916  
AM Solar Panels 150W - 2 Trojan T 105 6V Batteries
TAC MD-6
AIR 4534

On internet forums, please research and separate the wheat from the chaff (including mine!)
Soyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 09:48 AM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Somewhere , Mostly California
Wink Bike Rack on Truck Solution!

Hi all,

Am going to check this out, but it looks like you can have a bike rack AND a bed cover from these folks.

Bed Covers

I have been trying to figure out how Nick and I will carry our bikes and read everything online here, and this looks like a solution. For what it's worth!

Wendy
Old 10-05-2010, 10:32 AM   #21
_

. , .
hi wendy

it appears the cover/rack combo has been discontinued.

this was a good idea and a DIY could be done with the rack part over any of the roll up vinyl covers.

the primary issue with the vinyl covers is that many don't completely seal/protect the bed contents.

water can get in and snow/ice can weight the vinyl down and stretch it.
________

most of the major brand fiberglass tonneau covers can have bike racks mounted on top of them.

the tonneau will be harder to LIFT with bikes mounted, but it is an option.

once the bikes are removed (quick release) full lifting of the cover is possible.

over cab rails and racks can also be used on trucks.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 10:51 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Burlington , Ontario
We have a cap on our present pickup - as we did on our last one too. Gives lots of useful covered storage space.

I solved the bike problem by having a 2" hitch receiver installed on the front of our truck, I think any hitch shop can order one for you and install it too if you need them to, although it is usually just a simple bolt on.

Then you can use a standard hitch mounted bike rack to carry the bikes.

We had a slight problem when we switched from a half ton truck to a 3/4 ton, the receiver installation was quite a bit higher and I found that the bikes stuck up into my field of view a little too much. It was easily resolved by cutting down the bike rack to shorten it and rewelding it.

The bikes are very easily accessible up front, and I like the fact that I can keep an eye on them and be sure that they are secure.

I suppose t might be less desireable to folks with expensive bikes as they are pretty much exposed to bugs and weather up there, but it has never been a problem for us. Been carrying them this way for many years.

Just a thought!

Brian.

2005 Classic 30'
Hensley Arrow / Centramatics
2008 GMC Sierra SLT 2500HD,4x4,Crew Cab, Diesel, Leer cap.
Wingeezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2010, 12:10 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2010 28' International
Somewhere , Mostly California
Thanks Wingeezer and 2airishuman. You're right, Access stopped making those a year ago. Sigh! Thanks for the alternatives. Will look into them.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:03 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2008 31' Classic
Ft. Lauderdale , Florida
bike rack

Accessibility is the key. After first buying a Montaque folding bike with its bag throwing it into the Suburban. Never took it out. Too much energy.

The rack on the front is the answer. It takes less than a minute to release and off you go.
Old 10-06-2010, 03:21 PM   #25
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaimemet View Post
Accessibility is the key. After first buying a Montaque folding bike with its bag throwing it into the Suburban. Never took it out. Too much energy.

The rack on the front is the answer. It takes less than a minute to release and off you go.
Couldn't agree more...front rack is very convenient.
We could use the bed of the pick-up...but prefer front rack as it is so easy...

B