Old 05-23-2016, 09:29 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 30' Classic
Fort Collins , Colorado
Bike Rack

My Wife (Best thing that ever happened to me) Says she is tired of putting
our bikes in the Airstream!! Any one know of a good rack, other than the
Airstream, ($$$$$$$) that works and will attach to the back or other???
Thanks
Monty

Old 05-24-2016, 06:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
I keep thinking that adding a 2" hitch received under the back bumper would make sense. Then you could add any commercial bike rack you wish. I've seen some post regarding this idea.

However, I have not done this myself but am considering doing so. The if's and how's and pros and cons are yet to be deliberated thoroughly, so it may or may not happen. I'm just throwing out the idea!

Old 05-24-2016, 07:18 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
We use this one. Rides up front, above the propane bottles. If you order, I'd call them, give them your trailer and they will send the correct one. We've used it on a 25' and now our second 30', works fine. Only in the way of the front window opening and if propane is needed both bikes need to come off. Other than that, simple, easy and secure to use. When bikes don't go, just two base tubes remain in place on the front A frame. I thought long and hard about the 2" receiver on the rear and the 35 plus year experienced mechanics at what was Airstream of Western PA said "not a very good idea". So, we opted for what we have.

http://www.arvika.ca/index.php/us/

Bud
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 08:22 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Jupiter , Florida
The bikes racks aren't inexpensive, and having the bikes on the outside means they are exposed to weather, bugs, potential theft, etc., but even that will matter to a more or lesser degree depending on your situation. After considering all the options - rack on back or front of trailer, bikes on or in the truck, or carrying them inside the trailer, I ended up making a simple fork mount rack that allows me to carry our bikes inside the trailer, while still allowing access to the kitchen, bathroom, beds and dinette if we are making a short or quick overnight stop. It only takes a couple minutes to put them in or take them out of the trailer.
Old 05-24-2016, 09:34 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We carry our bikes with the rear mount Airstream rack, terrific. However if you have a rear access hatch you may consider the rack Can-Am Airstream in Ontario assembles from various factory parts. It can released at the upper brackets to drop down for rear hatch access.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016, 10:09 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 27' FB Eddie Bauer
Chelsea , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
I keep thinking that adding a 2" hitch received under the back bumper would make sense. Then you could add any commercial bike rack you wish. I've seen some post regarding this idea.

However, I have not done this myself but am considering doing so. The if's and how's and pros and cons are yet to be deliberated thoroughly, so it may or may not happen. I'm just throwing out the idea!
This is a terrible idea which has been discussed to death on the Forums. I'm not going to rehash the reasons here, just use the "search function " and see for yourself.
Old 05-24-2016, 10:41 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . we are considering that rig from Can-Am that Doug mentioned. It's not cheap but you can access the rear 'trunk' by swinging it away. Looks like I can probably install myself.. . . regards, Craig
Old 05-24-2016, 10:45 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
I use the Arvika. With the exchange rates you should be able to get a better price than I did when I ordered in 2013.

Some tips on use:
I found the straps that go around the tire rims would come loose due to the bikes moving in the wheel channels due to road travel. The fix is to use a velco strap around one of the brake handles of each bike to keep the bike from moving. I also use a Velcro strap around each rim too.

If your tow vehicle is an SUV or a pick up with a camper shell be careful of turning to sharp, otherwise the bikes may contact the back corners of the vehicle. The longest trip I took with my bikes was from Missouri to Utah and back. No issues with the bikes on the rack using the Velcro straps as described.

The weight of the rack and bikes will add some tongue weight.

The Fiamma rear bumper rack looked to complicated to install with the Classic bumper and pull out tray. The bikes obscure the license plate and the rear lights somewhat.

The Arvika can be installed in about an hour. I didn't have to move any LP lines.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ml#post1339473

Kelvin
Old 05-24-2016, 11:09 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2009 25' FB International
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBob View Post
This is a terrible idea which has been discussed to death on the Forums. I'm not going to rehash the reasons here, just use the "search function " and see for yourself.
Thanks for the input. If it's not a good idea then it's not a good idea. I'll do a search.

Again thanks!
Old 05-24-2016, 12:31 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Melbourne Beach , Florida
Front Hitch on TV

I have now used a front hitch and a Hollywood brand dual rack from my local bike store on two separate trucks. On my F-150 the bikes were too high and headlights reflected back in my eyes at night. So we tried mounting them in the trailer. I bought an inexpensive home two-bike rack from Amazon. It was a small version of the commercial ones you see around in parks, etc. just a base and two loops for the tires to go in. I put it at the center nightstand and put a couple of pad eyes under the foot of the twin beds and used a ratchet strap. That works when you are not stopping for the night, but got cumbersome with overnight stops.

I looked at my new TV, a Ram 2500 and decided to give the front mount another try, since I already had the bike rack. It works really well on the larger truck. The cost of the two is probably only about $100 cheaper than the Airstream rack, but I already had the bike rack, and it gives you the flexibility to take the bikes away from the trailer.

Al

"You cannot reason someone out of a position they have not been reasoned into"

Al, K5TAN and Missy, N4RGO
2002 Classic 30 Slideout
S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
2001 Safari 25 RB Twin (Gone, but not forgotten)
WBCCI 1322, TAC FL-39, AIR 82265

Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:47 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
felton , California
We put our bikes in the truck flatbed with front wheels over the tailgate using a Yakima pad .
Old 05-29-2016, 06:11 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2016 19' International
Maitland , Florida
We just bought this bike rack for use in our truck bed. It'll give us the capability of carrying our bikes and the gear we take along with us on trips.